Jumping resistance on a mechanical?

Status
Not open for further replies.

poobaca

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2012
new york
I think im finally ready to get a mechanical, its been a lot of debate with myself over the last few months, but after reading as much as I could I think I wont blow my face off. Ive been building my own coils for about 6 months now and am pretty comfortable doing so. Im using a atomic clone and noticed sometimes that the one of the screws in the post will come loose. It usually happens within a few hours of me building a new coil. It'll start hitting kinda funny and then when I check the resistance its all over the place. Screw the screw back down and goes back to what it was originally.

My question is would this cause any issues on a mechanical. Meaning making the battery hot and possibly venting?

Also in another thread I was reading about shorts on a mechanical and they made it seem like if you have a short the battery will discharge. Is this true or is that only if you keep firing it with a short.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
When the screw loosens generally you just aren't getting a good or stable contact. That is the opposite of a short.

I would strongly suggest that you use the New Sony VTC5 if you have fears about shorts or Resistance Issues. That is one solid performer.

I've seen a Atomizer screwed in incorrectly cause a mechanical to continue to short circuit until the bottom tube was unscrewed and I had a mechanical that I was repairing and the screw fell down and made a bridge that wouldn't stop shorting. But those were flukes.

Generally if you have a short and you stop pressing the button, the mechanical will stop firing.

One thing to look for on mechanicals is that they have vent holes. A unblocked vent hole is key for safety. LIMN Technology batteries are darned stable and in my opinion the biggest potential danger is if you ever had a short and the vent holes were blocked or not there. Gas would build up and bad things could happen.

cracoucax

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
france
As tomzgreat says, it's not a security hazard just a vape quality hazard since your wattage will lower a lot until you fix the screw. You might want to try other screws, or maybe a higher gauge kanthal since it won't oppose to the screw as much.

What would make the battery hot and maybe vent is the other way around : having a coil that pumps too much amps for the battery you're using (because the coil ohms are too low).

And yes of course a short will cause the battery to discharge, too fast. Look at it that way : a short is like a 0 ohm coil, you have a closed circuit with no resistance (ohms) at all.

poobaca

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2012
new york
Cool thanks for the help guys. Didn't think it would be a safety issue just couldn't find any info.

Yes planned on using vtc5's with it. And vent holes is a must. Looking at the nemesis and m16 clones.

I've never actually had one of my coils short, thought I did but it turned out to be a bad firing pin on my pv. What would cause a coil to short? And how do you detect it before your battery vents?

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
What would make the battery hot and maybe vent is the other way around : having a coil that pumps too much amps for the battery you're using (because the coil ohms are too low).

And yes of course a short will cause the battery to discharge, too fast. Look at it that way : a short is like a 0 ohm coil, you have a closed circuit with no resistance (ohms) at all.

The reason why I recommended the VTC5 is that it's reputed to take any RBA thrown at it.
It's rated at 30 amps and can do 60 amp burst. So you don't have to worry about going down too low on the Amps.

A hard short will ruin any battery, I hard shorted it when I was playing with modding the pin connector. It just kinda turned black in the center and I threw it out.

By the way a good mechanical to start with is the Reo Grande. You'll never have to worry about venting issues and the mechanisms are very hard to short. In My Opinion Bottom Feeding Rules.

poobaca

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2012
new york
The reason why I recommended the VTC5 is that it's reputed to take any RBA thrown at it.
It's rated at 30 amps and can do 60 amp burst. So you don't have to worry about going down too low on the Amps.

A hard short will ruin any battery, I hard shorted it when I was playing with modding the pin connector. It just kinda turned black in the center and I threw it out.

By the way a good mechanical to start with is the Reo Grande. You'll never have to worry about venting issues and the mechanisms are very hard to short. In My Opinion Bottom Feeding Rules.

Yea those are awesome mods, remember I wanted one badly years ago..Think if I was going to drop that kind of money though id go with a dna30 device.

What exactly is a hard short?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread