Mechanical and me ...... flawed thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
I get the whole performance thing of mechanical if you a low ohm vaper .... I am not not do I ever see myself going below 1.1 I prefer 1.3ish for the last couple years.

But I see time and time again folks touting mechanical as being the best for fixing yourself.
True vs a regulated mod with a chip

Not true IMHO vs a Woodvil

I love my woodvils and my LP grand and my SL grand

But for me I know the ones I will be able to vape till the end of time are the woodvils.

Picture a day way off in the future when Robs on his yacht traveling the world. He's sick of all us old timers calling him for repairs so he's thrown his SAT phone in the drink.

Say I have a grand and woodvil that need a total overhaul .... which is easier ??

Am I going to run off buy some copper sheets and begin to fab a firing pin with snips and grinders ??

No I'm going to grab some wire, solder, and a horn button that will be available for the next 100 years and rebuild the woodvil.

Just saying the Grands have some specialized not going to find anywhere parts while the woodvil should be a piece of cake to repair without even going full on McGyver.

Yes I know a Grand is easier to clean .... And in theory a grand should last longer?

But if I had the shell of both it sure seems like the Woodvils would be easier to piece back to working order.

Thoughts ?? Agree?

Tony Spectacular

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2013
Philadelphia
You're not wrong, but I have a different perspective. While I don't relish the though of having to fabricate a new firing pin, I also don't really see a scenario where I'd have to. Now that we're not filing those gd points anymore, I think me and my pin are lifetime buddies. Even if I get thrown into the pool by some jerk, or I have to jump in a river to escape an aggressive (or amorous?) tiger, my Grand will be just fine once it dries. If I short it I'd have to figure out a spring, but that's common between our mods. And hell, what kind of irresponsible Reo owner doesn't have a rebuild kit sitting around on standby anyway?

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
I get the whole performance thing of mechanical if you a low ohm vaper .... I am not not do I ever see myself going below 1.1 I prefer 1.3ish for the last couple years.

But I see time and time again folks touting mechanical as being the best for fixing yourself.
True vs a regulated mod with a chip

Not true IMHO vs a Woodvil

I love my woodvils and my LP grand and my SL grand

But for me I know the ones I will be able to vape till the end of time are the woodvils.

Picture a day way off in the future when Robs on his yacht traveling the world. He's sick of all us old timers calling him for repairs so he's thrown his SAT phone in the drink.

Say I have a grand and woodvil that need a total overhaul .... which is easier ??

Am I going to run off buy some copper sheets and begin to fab a firing pin with snips and grinders ??

No I'm going to grab some wire, solder, and a horn button that will be available for the next 100 years and rebuild the woodvil.

Just saying the Grands have some specialized not going to find anywhere parts while the woodvil should be a piece of cake to repair without even going full on McGyver.

Yes I know a Grand is easier to clean .... And in theory a grand should last longer?

But if I had the shell of both it sure seems like the Woodvils would be easier to piece back to working order.

Thoughts ?? Agree?

I agree 100%!

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
The tricky bit to fix in either case will be that 510 connector. Firing pins are easy, but if you had to make the 510, you'd be in a world of trouble!

T

This! Worst case would be to permanently mount the RBA. I think completely overhauling either, with no parts around, would be the same amount of effort. You could always stock 10 or so rebuild kits for the Grand, but you'd still be at the mercy of the 510 threads holding out.

Justice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
The part of Canada that doesn't get enuf Snow :(
It would be quite simple to fab up a new fire pin for the metals as far as 510's well that can give on either but they can be machined for a cost so either ways that should be alright thing is for me is I'm pretty sure I am close to Robs age he may have a couple years on me but close enough so in that respect I should be golden and as far as trying to disappear hahahahaha good fn luck buddy you will be found you know how many reos you have sold just imagine if 1/32 of all those peeps tossed some fund age my way to find you it could and would be done :lol:

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina
What on earth are you doing to your Reos that would cause you to over-think to problems that really aren't there? Buy a couple extra springs maybe. Boom! - done.

I agree Rick..I have a spare spring but the mod and other parts should well outlive me. The LP Grand is built like a truck.
I take good care of my truck and my LP Grand. lol

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
I think it's pretty hard to make something go wrong with a REO. Now and then, I'll read someone shorted and collapsed their spring. Once in a while, a horn switch goes out. When a blue moon comes along, someone has buggered up their feed tube somehow... I dunno. I like my VVW because it's so light... I like my SL Grand and my 14500 Mini because they're survive-the-apocalypse sort of durable... I kind of want a regular Woodville - well.... - uhmmm - to be honest just to have one and to be able to say I have one -- Maybe that's a personality flaw, but I do sort of want one ;)

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Good points Tim. But if you are ever unfortunate enough to, I don't know, drop and break a wood mod while Robs in Ipanema stretching the local hotties your pretty much truly screwed no?

If I could only keep one REO it'd be a grand and the small stockpile of rebuild parts I'm amassing :)

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
I will be around for along time folks . If one is worried about the 510 connection I will have a stainless connection soon with no gaskets to break . If you can wear that out you need some help .

I think If I had the choice of only one mod to last me a life time it would definitely be the grand . The positive contact could easily be replicated even a old set of feeler gauges in a pinch or just buy a few spares .

Tim on the other hand is a freak of nature his mods even after many years of use still look brand new . The man takes care of his mods and I tip my hat to him for it

cracoucax

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
france
If one is worried about the 510 connection I will have a stainless connection soon with no gaskets to break . If you can wear that out you need some help

Good !
That's about the only thing that worries me about my grand, i'm a bit frightened about this gasket, especially using some hand moded atties. Never stripped a 510 on any mod though so i guess i'm careful.
Will this new 510 be available as a spare part, and do you think it will be user serviceable ?

Sent from Tapatalk, typos its fault.

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
Tim on the other hand is a freak of nature his mods even after many years of use still look brand new . The man takes care of his mods and I tip my hat to him for it

Thanks buddy, I take care of the things i love the most.

LOL we got caught in a freak rain storm yesterday and had my fave woodvil with me ..... Luckily I had some zip lock bags in my backpack.

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
Good !
That's about the only thing that worries me about my grand, i'm a bit frightened about this gasket, especially using some hand moded atties. Never stripped a 510 on any mod though so i guess i'm careful.
Will this new 510 be available as a spare part, and do you think it will be user serviceable ?

Sent from Tapatalk, typos its fault.
You would need to send your mod in for the new 510 connection they will be pressed in like the connection in your mod . A simple rule to follow never over tighten your atomizer and you wont have problems . The large rebuildable atomizers is exactly what has pushed me to change the 510 connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread