Status
Not open for further replies.

jamtwo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2014
In the D, MI
Hey guys,

So I’m still looking into squonk mods but I’m not sure which direction to go with all the mods coming out lately. I just came across this:

Fuchai Squonk 213 Mod by Sigelei - The Cloudy Vapor

What are some advantages and disadvantages of a mechanical squonker vs a regulated? Aside from having the display and being able to set wattage, are there differences in performance or anything like that? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteelDriver

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Hey guys,

So I’m still looking into squonk mods but I’m not sure which direction to go with all the mods coming out lately. I just came across this:

Fuchai Squonk 213 Mod by Sigelei - The Cloudy Vapor

What are some advantages and disadvantages of a mechanical squonker vs a regulated? Aside from having the display and being able to set wattage, are there differences in performance or anything like that? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gotta be safer with batteries. But mechanical are most generally very simple and simple means it just works without a lot of fuss. Regulated you can get your vape right on mod mechanical it is in the building of coil. Oh and battery type.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

pianoguy

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2009
Apple Valley, MN
I used mechanical squonk mods exclusively from the fall of 2010 until April of this year when I got an Hcigar VT-Inbox. I don't use temperature control, but I have appreciated the ability to change the wattage to suit me, as well as the consistent performance (with a mech, the performance will degrade gradually until the battery runs low). I like the VT-Inbox well enough to have ordered another one for backup. For durability, you can't beat my REO's - the one I used as a daily driver for years stood up to drops, spills in water, oil, paint, and plenty of sawdust and dirt. Just rinse it off and it's ready to go again. A regulated mod will be much more fragile in that regard. I think you'd find regulated mods to generally be heavier as well (at least those that are made of metal). I'll likely stick with the VT-Inbox for quite a while, but it is nice to know that my arsenal of REO's, Coppervapes, etc. are standing by. As for squonk mods in general, I have been a fan since day 1.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I haven't been a squonk user for a pretty long time, but the image ression I get is that the difference between mechanical and regulated is identical to non squonks .

If you like mechanical with it's additional requirements then a mechanical squonk might be for you.

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
I use both but lean toward the mechanical. Unless you are going to spring for a higher end DNA chip squonker I'd go mechanical preferably with a 20700 battery. Most of the regulated lower end mods have very poor temperature control and the battery drain is poor. The reason for the 20700 with the right build a battery cycle will last 18hrs or more, outstanding for a mechanical. On the other hand if you are into the claptons and other large coils you may prefer the regulated. Yea, I know I didn't help a bit. It's mostly a journey you will have to travel yourself.

Last edited:

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
~snip~

...with a mech, the performance will degrade gradually until the battery runs low...

~snip~

For me, this is the biggest difference. Personally, I am satisfied with mech squonkers which is why I own five Reos (3 P67, 2 Grands) and three Coppervape mods (2 brass, 1 aluminum). Love the simplicity and don't have to worry about any PCB malfunction.

In fact, I only have one "regulated mod" in my rotation - a Hexohm. So if I'm not squonking, I'm usually dripping with a tube mech and RDA.

Last edited:

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
If you can use a mech safely, you already know the answer to that question. You either like mechs or don't. The advantages and disadvantages are many and debatable, but in sum regulateds are safer and easier to use, while mechs are simpler and more technically challenging. Buy a Coppervape mech and a Wraith squonker from CoV. Neither are high dollar-- you can buy both and three or four clone BF attys to test for less than a REO-- and both work fairly well. Another good option is the Pico Squeeze, a semi-mech. It vapes like a mech, meaning you can't adjust the watts, but it is (alleged to) have short circuit protection in it. All three of the ones I mention are comparatively cheap and you can get your feet wet without blowing tons of bucks on a Sunbox or something.

fordski

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2013
Coatepec, Veracruz-Llave, Mexico
I used mech mods when I first started vaping and really enjoyed them. At the time though micro coils were all the rage and they were't hard on batteries. I got back into vaping recently after a 3 year hiatus (yes I started smoking again, but have now quit again) and have discovered the world of quality DNA mods and temp control. I am a convert and really like the consistency of the vape. My wife used to burn wicks all the time, and now she doesn't using temp control.

I recently wanted to try squonking and picked up a Council of Vapors Wraith, a fairly cheap regulated squonker, and I just love it. While the temp control isn't up to par with DNAs it's pretty good. What I like about using temp control while squonking or dripping is there's no damage done if the coil goes dry. Redrip or squonk and everything's fine. I'm now considering the Lost Vape Therion 75C squonker or the Boxer 75C.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
i'd say if you run a lot of crazy low subohm stuff go mechanical. if you float closer to the 1ohm mark go regulated.

finding a good mechanical squonker that's not constantly arcing & dirtying the contacts is a whole other subject.... (constantly cleaning contacts for good performance)

I thought it was the other way around? Safer for sub ohming on a regulated mod?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I thought it was the other way around? Safer for sub ohming on a regulated mod?
I suspect that “crazy sub ohm stuff” missed a decimal point there. Regulated mods work generally without issues above 0.1 ohm. It’s when you get below that that a mechanical (and a certain lack of common sense) is required.

Reactions: Letitia

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
Gotta be safer with batteries. But mechanical are most generally very simple and simple means it just works without a lot of fuss. Regulated you can get your vape right on mod mechanical it is in the building of coil.

The no fuss means not being concerned over circuits having fouled up. Usually, once that happens the mod is a paperweight. Building coils isn't as difficult as it first seems.

You either like mechs or don't.

Yep. I'm liking my CopperVape with two Reo Grand clones tucked back. :)

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Own a Reo Grand mechanical squonker fitted with a Reomizer RDA, but it's fire button and overall shape hurts my hand. It's mostly being saved for a rainy vape day, but I'm still glad that I own one.

My second most used mod currently is a Segelei Fuchai 213 Plus, which appears to be very similar to the Fuchai squonker you linked. It's a very well made mod. Uses up both batteries in a days time using a sub-ohm tank (@ 30 - 40 watts) The only reason its not used more is I've becomed so attached to my newer JAC Vapour B DNA75. It is extremely comfortable to use, is very small and extremely well made, and fires my sub-ohm tanks (@ 30 - 40 watts) all day with a single 18650.

I've used both regulated and mechanical mods over the last few years. There are pro's and cons for both. I've used regulated exclussively for over the last year or so. I like being able to adjust my wattage (and vape) on the fly, and there is no denying that regulated is the safer way to go.

The Pro's & Cons of Regulated vs Mechanical Mods:
Regulated Pro's:

The battery power to the atomizer is controlled (or regulated) to stay the same throughout the battery charge, from a fully charged battery until fully discharged.

The power can be adjusted to increase or decrease the voltage by the user, allowing the user to change their vaping experience.

Has built-in protective circuitry against atomizer short circuits, shorts in the 510 connector, or fire button; accidentally putting the battery in backwards; over discharging the battery; accidentally pressing the fire button too long (auto cutoff timer); and over-heating of the processor.

Has built-in battery voltage and atomizer resistance meters to check battery voltage status and the ohm rating of the coil.

Regulated Cons:

Generally speaking, may not be as well made or as durable over time compared to a mech. Electrical components may fail over time or from physical abuse.

Unless it is a "high wattage" regulated mod, will not be able to fire a sub-ohm resistance coil.

Mechanical Pro's:

Generally speaking, are made to be more durable and able to withstand some physical abuse. No electronic components to fail.

Mechs are able to fire sub-ohm coils because there is no protection circuitry or processor amp limits to prohibit it.

Many mechs are machined to be quite beautiful, nearly art pieces. Many are manufactured in a limited run, in limited quantities, and inscribed with the number on the mod.

Why do people choose a mech over regulated?
Mechanical Cons:

No protection circuitry. This is the big one for beginners. The new user must always be aware of the signs of a short circuit, which could cause the battery to vent into thermal runaway. The mod must have ventilation holes in case you experience a venting episode and which should prevent your mod from becoming an exploding pipe bomb.

No voltage regulation of the battery. As the battery drains from use, the vape quality will progressively diminish.

Last edited:

pianoguy

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2009
Apple Valley, MN
Own a Reo Grand mechanical squonker fitted with a Reomizer RDA, but it's fire button and overall shape hurts my hand. It's mostly being saved for a rainy vape day, but I'm still glad that I own one.

Do you have a button cover for it? That was a game-changer for me - before getting one I had what I thought was gonna be a permanent dent in my thumb - LOL! The cover made it a lot more comfortable.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
@pianoguy I did purchase one from Reo Mods, but apparently it was defective on the bottom side and didn't fit. I know that I should have returned it or contacted the manufacturer, but I had already had to return a Reomizer twice whose top cap was way too loose.

Aside from the button, I found the Reo itself to be uncomfortable. The sides were not rounded off like my previous box mods, the magnetic door kept getting loose during use, etc. I had other mods that were trouble free so I pretty much put the Reo in the drawer.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
@pianoguy I did purchase one from Reo Mods, but apparently it was defective on the bottom side and didn't fit. I know that I should have returned it or contacted the manufacturer, but I had already had to return a Reomizer twice whose top cap was way too loose.

Aside from the button, I found the Reo itself to be uncomfortable. The sides were not rounded off like my previous box mods, the magnetic door kept getting loose during use, etc. I had other mods that were trouble free so I pretty much put the Reo in the drawer.

Sometimes one needs to use a small tiny piece of floss under the cap to make it a snug fit.. that's for the button. I've only had to do that once for the around 20 reos I've owned.

Floss under the oring will also snug up a top cap of an atty as well.

Also there's the newer p67 reo that has a lockable side fire button and rounded sides.. also will fit a rba up yo 24mm.

Anyways.. I'm guessing your reo is a few years old and don't have the updated stainless steel adjustable 510 connection and newer button that won't melt doing real low sub ohms and newer gold plated positive contact and sub ohm gold spring.

Reactions: Letitia
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread