Mechanical vs. VV/VW Wattage

Status
Not open for further replies.

eMats

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2014
United States
I was wondering what the difference is between mechs and VVWs as far as vaping at certain wattages. I find using the same liquid, that my mechs at 15 watts (using an ohms law calc) is best and using a VW I can only go up to 11 or so watts before I get a burnt taste. Why is that?

The comparison was done using a Chi/KFL (1.1 ohm) vs. Vamo 5/Protank 2 (rebuilt head at 1.8 ohm)

pmcode

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2013
Barstow, CA
Are you using the same gauge wire on both? I have noticed, that if I build the same resistance coil, but with different gauge wire, the higher gauge seems to burn my juice easier. Especially thicker, or sweeter/more sugary juices.

I think it would be because, with higher gauge wire, you need less wire to get the target resistance, less surface area, "hot-spot" kind of effect. Lower gauge wire, more wraps to hit same target resistance, more surface area, less "hot-spot" effect.

If that makes sense........

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    With a mechanical you change the resistance to change what you get. So look at a mechanical as being VR instead of VV/VW.

The example you gave is compairing apples & oranges, a KF and a PT are different animals. That plus the fact that a VAMO will only say that it's providing xx watts, who knows what it's actually providing. Also with the mechanical, how did you measure the voltage? Use one of these, so that you are calculating using the actual "under load" voltage.
    P1000771_zpsf586ad5a.jpg

Last edited:

eMats

ECF Veteran
    Jan 4, 2014
    United States
    With a mechanical you change the resistance to change what you get. So look at a mechanical as being VR instead of VV/VW.

The example you gave is compairing apples & oranges, a KF and a PT are different animals. That plus the fact that a VAMO will only say that it's providing xx watts, who knows what it's actually providing.

I know they're different animals but what's the logic behind it? I was thinking the same about the Vamo.

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I know they're different animals but what's the logic behind it? I was thinking the same about the Vamo.

A 3 ohm carto would FRY at 15 watts, while a 3 ohm RBA could be in 7th heaven at the same wattage.
    All depends on the build. Volts-ohms-watts are only part of the equation.
    Thermodynamics is a branch of natural science concerned with heat and temperature and their relation to energy and work. It defines macroscopic variables. Even the length/diameter of your drip tip will alter the thermodynamics.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread