Status
Not open for further replies.

vapero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
monterrey,mexico
I'm probably missing something important here but do I really need to venture into the sub-ohm realm?? I mean I have a VW device and if I use a rda at 1.5 ohms microcoil at 15 watts wouldn't it be the same as using a 0.9ohm at the same wattage?

is there really something that I'm not seeing or is it just the preference to use a mech instead of a VV / VW device?? that, I could understand...

vapero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
monterrey,mexico
I dont like the "whatever works for you" thing; an ego with a ces4 works. For sure I will get into the sub-ohm and mech realm at some point as I do like to rebuild and fiddle and try new things but I'm asking if I could achieve the same flavor, vapor etc with a 1.8 microcoil at 15 watts than with a sub.ohm or does it really will give me something I can't achieve with my current setup.
I do like mechs and will be getting one soon, I just want to understand the technical aspect of if it works and why.

gmb225

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2013
somerset ky
if u have a vv device u dont need subohms. subohms r what people use on mechanical mods to turn the power up. they dont have any other way to adjust power like u do with a vv device. unless they want to stack batteries to double the voltage. and i cant see runnin a mech at 8volts. u would need a 4 ohm coil and threre isnt enough room in an rda for that. but some people do it somehow. if there is a will there is a way!

Fizzpop

ECF Veteran
May 6, 2013
United States
No, you don't need to and are probably safer not to. Sub-ohm setups push the limits of batteries and if things go wrong, can push them past their safe limits. Without the proper knowledge, it can be dangerous. People who do sub-ohm setups properly have good knowledge of their batteries, their gear, their coils and know Ohm's law and how to apply it.

It is entirely possible to have a truly excellent vaping experience without ever using sub-ohm coils.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    IMO fun to play with, but extreme vaping has nothing to do with all day..every day vaping. So no, there is no need to go there unless you just want to see what it's like.Myself, I did it once, and decided it wasn't for me. The down side was that I had to toss the RDA because the air hole was then to large for normal vaping.
    I also found that the lower you go with the resistance the larger a difference a small change is resistance will make. With a 2ohm coil you will hardly notice if it's off by 0.1-0.2 ohms. With a 0.5ohm coil a 0.1ohm difference will put you in a different ball park.

Last edited:

Bosco

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2012
    San Antonio
    The difference is that, with a subohm coil set-up, you might be vaping at 25-30 (or more) watts vs 15.

Is it relevant? I don't know. I tried it and, so far, it's just ok for me. I like the huge clouds and intense flavor but too much of it irritates my throat and lungs. I find it difficult to make wicks that can keep up with that wattage and I'm either dripping every 1-2 hits or getting the worst dry hits imaginable. In my coil building . .I started out making coils around 1ohm . .went down to about .6ohm and now, lately, am really preferring the 1.2-.1.3 ohms range. It's fun to experiment and build them exactly as you like. I have a long way to go in my coil building so who knows what I'll be building next week.

dr g

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 12, 2012
    Paradise
    I'm probably missing something important here but do I really need to venture into the sub-ohm realm?? I mean I have a VW device and if I use a RDA at 1.5 ohms microcoil at 15 watts wouldn't it be the same as using a 0.9ohm at the same wattage?

is there really something that I'm not seeing or is it just the preference to use a mech instead of a VV / VW device?? that, I could understand...

Personally I am of the opinion that someone that knows what they are doing can, via parts selection and building, achieve similar results across devices with different configurations, for a given wattage, at least as far as vapor volume. Responsiveness, etc. may vary.

It may be worth noting that at 15 watts your VV/VW device puts the same amp draw on the battery as that .9 coil, in fact slightly more because of converter inefficiency.

And also that is barely touching what subohm can do, low subohm setups can go 30-40 or more watts, which no regulated setup is yet designed to do.

Last edited:

NicoHolic

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 13, 2013
    USA
    Check your battery rating! If you can't find the rating, the battery is questionable.
    AW IMR 18650 1600 mAH maximum continuous current = 15C = 15 x 1.6 AH = 24 amps

Do the arithmetic with Ohm's Law: (Hint: Current = Voltage/Resistance) i.e.,
    0.5Ω micro coil at 4.0V coil voltage under load (assuming you can even get that high) = 8 amps

Ensure your the current draw of your planned resistance is less than the battery rating.
    8 amps max/24 amp battery rating = .33 = 33% = 1/3 of the battery rating.
    Discover it's NOT even close to stressing or pushing the limits of the battery like some would have you believe (more like shifting at 2,000 rpm out of a 6,000 rpm redline).

Get some Kanthal A1 and Nichrome 60 in 26 and 27 AWG

Torch it to burn off machining oil and make it less springy
    (a $4 Ronson Jetline butane torch lighter + can of butane will do)

Wind 7-9 turns on a 1/16" drill bit. Try to get the coils tight.
    This many coils give good contact area with the wick.

Insert the legs into the atty posts while the coil is still on the drill bit.

Remove the drill bit after adjusting the coil position.

Ensure the coil won't touch the posts or the base.

Ensure the top cap won't touch the coil.

Measure the resistance and ensure it's not less than you planned.

Install the atty on your mech.

Push the fire button to ensure the coil glows from the center out and not the legs.

If there are any gaps between the coils, use tweezers, etc to squeeze it tighter AFTER (NOT WHEN) pushing the fire button!

Form a wick of cotton ball, lick your fingers and twist the end

Feed the wick into the micro coil. It should slide back and forth easily.

Put the cap on and proceed to drip.

Last edited:

NicoHolic

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 13, 2013
    USA
    Yup, subohm is kind of a ridiculous boogeyman. After all, anyone with a regulated mod is putting a super low subohm device on their battery.

Depending on converter efficiency, at 15W they're probably drawing 18-20 watts from the battery, which when it's near the bottom of the charge is likely greater than 6 amps out of the battery to maintain that 15W. VV/VW regulated works the battery hardest when it's the weakest.

Last edited:

dr g

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 12, 2012
    Paradise
    Depending on converter efficiency, at 15W they're probably drawing 18-20 watts from the battery, which when it's near the bottom of the charge is likely greater than 6 amps out of the battery to maintain that 15W. VV/VW regulated works the battery hardest when it's the weakest.

Yup and that evil subohm switch inside that regulator might make the battery explode because it's subohm, in a subohm way.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 20, 2011
    Portland
    lemmings jump off a cliff because other lemmings are jumping off that cliff

Once again, I can't understand why people feel the need to insult fellow vapers for their preferred vape.

If I went around making fun of people using egos and clearos, I'd be thought of as a jerk. But it's OK to go around bashing people for liking a bit more power than any other devices can provide. How nice.

Lemmings are blind followers. Most of the anti-subohm posts I've seen have been from people that demonstrate their complete ignorance in the realm of sub-ohm. If you bash something you don't know anything about, you're a lemming. You have no basis for your opinion and are just following others. I've seen more anti-subohm lemmings than anything else.

Personally I am of the opinion that someone that knows what they are doing can, via parts selection and building, achieve similar results across devices with difference configurations, for a given wattage, at least as far as vapor volume. Responsiveness, etc. may vary.

It may be worth noting that at 15 watts your VV/VW device puts the same amp draw on the battery as that .9 coil, in fact slightly more because of converter inefficiency.

And also that is barely touching what subohm can do, low subohm setups can go 30-40 or more watts, which no regulated setup is yet designed to do.

Thanks for mentioning this. I find it funny that people with regulated devices don't understand that they are drawing high current from the battery in order to boost the voltage. VV and subohm are accomplishing the same thing, sucking more power from the battery.

And none of the cheap VW devices on the market will get to 15 watts without stacked batteries. Ooohhhh another scary scary thing, stacked batteries, oh noes!

It seems like the haters are more obsessed with subohm vaping than subohm vapers are.

I like a powerful vape. I like an open draw. I like a warm vape. I like instant heatup. Sub-ohm fits this very well. Microcoils are great, but really you need cotton, as silica that thin will dry out too fast. I use cotton now and again, but personally prefer working with mesh or silica. With mesh or silica subohm works excellent.

"normal" resistance is garbage on a mech, to me. To get a coil to run on most VV devices, you must make the resistance higher than 1.2-1.3 or so. I generally hit about 1.5 with my non-subohm builds meant for regulated devices. With a single battery, the vape is anemic. It takes a long time to heat up, and the vape is still rather cool. With stacked 18350s performance wakes up quite a bit. But then you have a huge device, and are still fairly limited in power levels.

To account for the slow warmup, you can use thinner wire, but then you reduce other aspects of performance. Everything in vaping is a give and take, and subohm vaping best suits all the variables in my vaping preferences. I guess I'm a lemming for educating myself, and choosing something that fits my needs the best. Must be backwards day or something.

Last edited:

ukeman

PV Masher
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 22, 2010
    Kauai, Hawaii
    @UncleChuck; agree to a point; there's a lot of talking points that add up to an easy target for put downs... without even trying it. (safely)

1. as 4 yr vaper, I questioned sub ohm vaping because anything below 1.5 ohms was crazy in the context of conventional vaping... you'd surely burn the juice, not to mention safety issues.
    what i didn't realize was that proper wicking in sub ohm coil will produce better flavor as well as vapor. My prior experience told me different.
    2. there's a lot of smart vapers doing this; you get to know the ins and outs by following the tutorials and technical know how posts.

Genesis atomizers; RBA, RDA's are just into a couple years now... its really a participatory sport. I can't wait to see what the next couple years bring...

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread