Medical Insurance Companies May Soon Impose Surcharge on Vapors Health Insurance Premiums

Status
Not open for further replies.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
I don't know how many insurance companies may start hitting vapors with surcharges on their insurance premiums and or if this new regulation is solely for the company I work for, but I think it should be illegal for them to ream us folks who choose to vape. Any comments?

Ours hasn't yet, but we won't be getting our 2015 enrollment packages until next month. There's been no talk of major changes except for cost. However, just following the chatter on line, it seems many folks are seeing the same thing happening - up to and including testing for nicotine metabolytes in your blood or urine. I know of at least two hospitals near me that screens for nicotine on pre-employment drug testing, and they won't hire you if they find it. They don't care if you're smoking, chewing nicotine gum, or vaping, you are out of a job if there's nicotine in your system.

It's currently not illegal, and I doubt it ever will be since smokers and vapers are not a protected class. It stinks, but companies are trying to maneuver themselves to pay as little as they can for employee insurance (while still providing SOME health care rather than pay the fine).

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
From what I've read on the forums, the medical folks have it by far the worst. I wish someone would stop the insanity. Getting fired for a legal substance in your system?

It is crazy, but corporations are run by bean counters, and when you can spend less beans by cutting a "risk" group out of your employee pool, you can put more beans at the end of the year.

And yet, alcohol use isn't a problem at all. It makes absolutely no sense. A hospital won't hire you if you use something that has no effect on your ability to perform your job.

I'm pretty sure that if there were a way to reliably test for alcohol use that didn't rely on the presence of alcohol itself, they'd figure out a way to start culling the drinkers from the herd.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
what proof have they that vapers are raising costs for them? also modern healthcare is a scam anyway.

I had emergency surgery 3 years ago, which ended up costing $96000. I paid $2600; insurance paid the rest, and paid my full salary for the month of work I missed. I got my money's worth...

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
I had emergency surgery 3 years ago, which ended up costing $96000. I paid $2600; insurance paid the rest, and paid my full salary for the month of work I missed. I got my money's worth...

Oh yeah, when you get in trouble it's worth its weight in gold. platinum even That's why we struggle to keep it. How long we can struggle is another question entirely.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Well sure, why wouldn't insurance companies do that? It's their new "cash cow"!

Think about it, as more folks made the switch, they were loosing money, and insurance is a "for profit" business.
    With that in mind, if you can't afford your medical costs 'out of pocket', how in the hell will you be able to afford insurance?!? Insurance is the biggest scam on the planet.

skoony

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 31, 2013
    saint paul,mn,usa
    one thing i would like to mention about group plans.
    the lowest discounted rate is actually the base rate for the plan.
    that means if every one in the plan payed that rate it would cover
    any and all expected payouts for anything covered in the plan
    and still make a profit.
    anything above that is gravy even though their accountants make
    it appear its not. granted they save some of these monies as a hedge.
    its not smoking,alcohol or, obesity related illnesses that knock
    these plans off kilter.
    its that one or two debilitating injuries or illness that's going
    to cost the plan $250,000.00 a year for the rest of some ones life
    for needed care.
    :2c:
    regards
    mike

bosun

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 24, 2013
    in between the ice ages
    The insurance companies do that because they can. Tell all the participants in the plan that those evil tobacco users are driving up YOUR costs and deserve to be punished by extra fees. So its "sock it to 'em" time. Then change some of the definitions around to make sure as many people fall into the highest risk categories to maximize profit. What we need is a law to make it illegal to not have health insurance, so all those young people will have to give their money to the insurers to offset the cost of the elderly/people with medical problems.
    In the service, the term we used was "bohica". (google it)..

UGADAWGs

Verified Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    Gardner, KS
    Lol, so funny I found this thread!! I just responded to my employers benefit manager this morning. They have been emailing me daily for the last week so I responded. Below is the email I have been getting then my response I will let you know how they respond.

From Them:

Nuss, Raymond Blake

All employees covered under the County's medical plan MUST declare if you do or do not use
    tobacco under Oracle JOCO Employee SSHR before November 1, 2014 to qualify for the
    Tobacco Incentive in 2015. If you cover a spouse under your medical plan, you must declare
    whether or not your spouse uses tobacco also.

If your answer is "Yes" for either of you, that
    person must complete a BlueKC-approved tobacco cessation program.
    Find out more on how to declare tobacco use through these Instructions.

The tobacco cessation program options are listed in the lower right-hand corner of the Wellness
    U homepage.

If you and/or your covered spouse do not meet the tobacco component of the 2014 Wellness
    Strategy, you will not be eligible to receive a $25 per month ($300 per year) Tobacco Incentive
    in 2015.
    Cameron Ahrens
    Health Care Manager

My Response:

I have received this email a lot lately, so I figured I need to respond. First off I do not smoke anymore. I use a personal vaporizer, what you would probably call an electronic cigarette. I use 0mg e-juice, which means it has no nicotine in it. So I do NOT use any tobacco products! So if I fill out the declaration form I am ask do I use tobacco products? But there is also a statement saying I am also declaring that I do not use Electronic Cigarettes. So while I don’t use any tobacco products because my e-liquid contains no nicotine I can’t deny using an electronic cigarette. But I can’t check the “I use an electronic cigarette with no tobacco products in it” box. I will not check the “Yes I use tobacco” box either. This is why I do not do the declaration. I have tried cessation steps before with patches, gum and even medication. I have successfully quit smoking using an electronic cigarette working my way down to zero nicotine and staying off cigarettes. So I am not willing to sit in a cessation class or take the time to do the steps necessary to avoid the $25 monthly CHARGE, cause that’s what it really is not a discount. There are numerous studies by Doctors all over the globe about the safety of electronic cigarettes compared to real cigarettes that is readily available. I am more than happy to provide this information, but in the end I am going to be charge a fee and lumped into the same group as smokers, because some people believe it’s the same thing. Even though The American Heart Association has classified it as a safe form of smoking cessation. Sorry for whoever had to read this whole email. Please contact me if you have any questions.

Respectfully Submitted,
    Deputy Raymond B. Nuss 1272

Last edited:
    @HGA1C I agree with you, however I am not so sure that the current definition / classification will be the one that sticks in the law books for years to come. One thing for sure, another one of our simple pleasure freedoms is being debated by those who have the power to use the law to continue to enrich themselves at our expense. Just how expensive the vaping pleasure may become is still yet to be seen!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread