Merry Christmas to all, and to all, a mucho better 2010!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLSChows

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Merry Christmahanukwanzaka and everything else to all.

Steve, I'm just a couple of months younger than you and have smoked since I was 11. I remember when you "almost didn't come back" and I words just can't express how glad I am you did. Because of you I was able to give my father the best 75th birthday present on the planet. I smoked my last analog at 12:00AM on April 13th 2009...his 75th birthday. I'll never forget what day I quit now :). Actually had to force myself to smoke the last 2 packs I had bought prior to getting my VK, while I vaped the VK just because I wanted to quit on a day I'd remember forever (those last 2 packs were just awful). Even now, after 8 1/2 months of being a non-smoker, I'm still in awe of you and your product. I never thought I'd ever quit. Your dedication and sincerity are beyond comprehension in today's day and age. YOU, my friend (as well as the rest of the V4L crew) are saving more lives than you can imagine as well as bringing back the kind of customer service that I haven't seen since I was a little kid.

I'm also amazed at how contagious your "pay it forward" attitude is. I've always been like that but now see how many more people are too. It's gives me hope for the future of humanity. The world needs more "SMILIN STEVE'S" (and Mark's and Leaford's) and thanx to you guys, I think the world now has them.

I wish you ALL a WONDERFUL 2010 and beyond. I know mine's gonna be great.

(and as has been mentioned before that there seems to be a enormous number of pet lovers (owners) here, our pets are so much better off without the "smoke" too...we're saving them as well)

LastOutlaw

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2009
Texas
www.quantumtour.com
I'll sum it up in one statement as I have a story much like Steve's.

Steve, thank you for saving my life and letting me also pay it forward to others. I hope for all of our lives and any we can get off of cigarettes that you and yours are here for a very long time.
I and my friends and family thank you and I owe you my life.
Happy Holidays!

Viv Savage

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
You're the only jew i've come across that when you say 'trust me' it doesn't feel like you're saying 'f*$k off' :D

Um... WOW... you actually edited that post and still decided that sentence should remain? I'm a tad stunned to say the least. I've been reading posts on this Forum for a couple months now, and while I've come across some heated exchanges and light name-calling, this is the very first time I've come across any form of bigotry. To find it in the Vapor4Life forum is even more shocking to me, as I've been overly impressed with the quality of character I've specifically found in here... and having participated in the V4L forum quite a bit recently, I do feel like part of the V4L family... so I am especially disappointed in that regard.

Let me be clear here. I am completely aware that this was a joke and that no malice was intended. I also recognize that Steve himself made no remark that he was offended by this statement, and that perhaps there is a personal history between the two of you which I am not privy to, in which he understands your sense of humor. And seeing as I am apparently the only person to be offended by this, I also realize that since you are a "Super Member" with over 300 posts, that perhaps most of the other V4L forum participants also already know your personality and understand your sense of humor. So I don't know you and I won't judge you on this one statement. And let me repeat before I continue: I am completely aware that this was a joke and that no malice was intended.

That said, please listen to me when I tell you that you need to be completely aware that your statement was unequivocally anti-Semitic. And there is really no debate here. Regardless of your intent, that is an anti-Semitic statement. Whether it was just meant as friendly ribbing... or even remotely true that you have felt that every Jew you've ever met has been untrustworthy... those are anti-Semitic words that reek of bigotry, ethnic stereotyping, ignorance, and intolerance. You just need to understand that. (And there's something especially galling to find it in a "Merry Christmas" post.)

(Also know that this post is not coming from an overly sensitive person. I am a fan of some of the most offensive humor out there. I am even performing in a play right now that is full of ethnic stereotypes... and, yes, I'm even playing a stereotypical New York Jew. But it's all about context.)

I've had these conversations before, and I am honestly approaching this from a place of trying to help you understand how your words impact people. I once had a very friendly co-worker - a genuinely kind man with a good heart - tell me to my face how he was planning to "Jew down" a salesman in regards to a purchase he was about to make. I then calmly explained to him how that was an offensive expression and he really needed to refrain from using it... especially where we worked... a Hollywood movie studio with, needless to say, a large Jewish population. Similarly, I'm trying to help you here... while I know you were joking, like my co-worker, you need to consider your environment. While Steve and the rest of the V4L community may already understand you, you need to recognize that there are people (like me) who don't know you and are reading your comments for the first time. There are new people joining this Forum every day. And some will be Jewish. And some will be African-American. And some will be Gay. You just don't know. So, unless you are deliberately trying to offend, hurt, or attack people, you need to think before you type. Because one thing I can tell you for certain is that, as a Jew, all I read in that statement of yours is "I don't trust Jews".

VapingRulz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Florida
Um... WOW... you actually edited that post and still decided that sentence should remain? I'm a tad stunned to say the least.

The original post must have been removed; I never saw it. I'm glad I didn't because my response would have been far more harsh than yours. As a Catholic married to a Jewish man, I have no tolerance for anti-semitism or bigotry. Both really piss me off.

Belletrist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2009
Virginia
steve, i don't care if you celebrate Hanukkah, christmas, kwanza, ramadan, or saturnalia. :lol: i got MY best xmas pressie ever--got my VK on christmas eve of this year, had my last cig on christmas morning. never thought in a million years i could quit. now i know even if i smoke an analog now and then, my life has changed--they don't own me anymore, thanks to you guys. :D

Viv Savage

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
The original post must have been removed; I never saw it. I'm glad I didn't because my response would have been far more harsh than yours. As a Catholic married to a Jewish man, I have no tolerance for anti-semitism or bigotry. Both really piss me off.

It's still there: Page 1, Post #6. As much as my initial gut reaction was also to unleash a harsh response, I do try to think first and understand the intent... and like I said, I was pretty sure no malice was intended. I actually waited 24 hours before I said anything, thinking it would either be removed or someone else would say something (apparently no on both counts). So thank you for your support. It's nice to know I'm not alone.

leeshor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Norcross, GA
It's still there: Page 1, Post #6. As much as my initial gut reaction was also to unleash a harsh response, I do try to think first and understand the intent... and like I said, I was pretty sure no malice was intended. I actually waited 24 hours before I said anything, thinking it would either be removed or someone else would say something (apparently no on both counts). So thank you for your support. It's nice to know I'm not alone.

You definitely aren't alone. I considered the post to be so repulsive I was afraid if I got started, even 24 hours later, that I might have been a little out of line myself in my response.

Thanks for stepping up, with a reasoned, (and calm), response.

Viv Savage and Leeshor, you shoulda posted back and flamed me i woulda found it hilarious to say the least, so please do if it would make you feel better, i'm into 'roasting' in a big way and i always mess with my jewish friends, and i've had my fair share of being an english person in america too but whatever, you obviously think the internet is serious business !! lol

edit, if you have any jokes about me being an english immigrant in america (oklahoma to say the least!!) please post some, had a boring afternoon waiting for packages so far.

internet+-+serious+business+framed.jpg

Last edited:

vwzach182

Nov 18, 2009
Worcester, MA
Thank You so much for all the great work you've done Steve! You have truly changed my life with your great product and great customer service. Quitting smoking has been so easy for me and I now know it is because you did the hard part for me! Thanks for all you do and for providing such an excellent product. Thank you to the whole V4L staff, Steve, Mark, Leaford, Mariano!

crashtestjeep

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2009
Wilmington, NC
www.myspace.com
Hiya Smilin'!!!!:D hope you had an awesome Hanukkuh! I know bc of YOU I DID!!!!

I got my passthru from the contest the other day along w the sampler (coffee shop sampler) pack of cartos and Mmm Mmm Mmm!!!!!:)

Those new flavors ROCK!!!! A few Ive had before but the Cinnamin Roll, Espresso and Caramel Frap cartos are absolutely DELISH!!!!

THANKS AGAIN!!!! (and expect to see my order for more soon, those new flavors got me hooked!:))

Vape on and keep smilin'!:)

vwzach182

Nov 18, 2009
Worcester, MA
By the way, Viv and Leeshor. I'm rarely offended by anything and I know the guy was just joking but he seemed a little out of line to me too. I'm jewish and my friends make jokes all the time so I've heard it all but I dont think this is really the place to be making jokes like that when so many people surf in here randomly. I'm sure Steve took it light-heartedly and all but seeing as how he took the time to start such a great heart-felt thread It surprised me a little to say the least that someone would have posted something like that.

Viv Savage

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Viv Savage and Leeshor, you shoulda posted back and flamed me i woulda found it hilarious to say the least, so please do if it would make you feel better, i'm into 'roasting' in a big way and i always mess with my jewish friends, and i've had my fair share of being an english person in america too but whatever, you obviously think the internet is serious business !! lol

edit, if you have any jokes about me being an english immigrant in america (oklahoma to say the least!!) please post some, had a boring afternoon waiting for packages so far.

First, I would like to apologize to Steve and everyone else in the V4L family for hijacking this thread with this very uncomfortable exchange - I know it's sole purpose was to spread joy and peace during the holidays - but unfortunately I cannot allow things like this to go unaddressed. I hope everyone understands.

Well, Ladies & Gentlemen, this is what happens when you give someone the benefit of the doubt and hope for the best. I can only hope it doesn't influence my approach the next time I'm faced with a similar situation. It would be a shame to lash out at someone else who deserves some latitude simply because I overestimated Nightcrawler here.

I'm not even sure what to say now, as (1) it's clear that every single point I made in my post was completely and utterly ignored, and (2) any unpleasant response from me will be giddily received as a fun "roast" for your entertainment. In other words, just like my first post, I'll be wasting my breath. But I guess I'll just play into your hands, as I can't help myself.

1. In my first post I said that "I won't judge you." Thank you for showing your true colors so I can now judge you with absolute certainty. You are not only an anti-Semite, but you're an ignorant, insensitive, unrepentant ....... who not only doesn't listen, but clearly doesn't care.
  2. More advice you will ignore #1: Anti-Semitic comments do not qualify as "roasting" (this was already addressed, of course). In fact, this would apply to all racist, bigoted, intolerant comments.
  3. More advice you will ignore #2: When someone kindly tells you that you have offended them, the best response is usually to apologize for your error. (For an example of an "apology", please see my first paragraph.) Completely blowing it off as a joke, or worse yet, patronizing the offended party as taking it too seriously only serves to inflame the situation and belittle their feelings as petty and inconsequential.... and truth be told, a more offensive act, whereas while the first comment may have been unintentional, the unapologetic, completely apathetic reply is absolutely intentional.
  4. More advice you will ignore #3: This is not about the "internet"... this is about respect for your fellow human beings. To brush it off with "the internet is serious business" simply reflects the level of your ignorance. This may be news to you, but the internet serves a higher purpose than posting the world's funniest home videos. (Considering a significant portion of this forum is dedicated to educating the rest of the world about e-cigs, the internet is indeed serious business in here.) The internet is a valid global community, in which every segment of society is represented, and virtually every human agenda is served (even the spread of anti-Semitic propaganda). I shouldn't even have to explain this to anyone over the age of four... after all, our President used the "serious internet" to get elected and still uses it as major form of communication. More importantly, if there was ever a place to check oneself, it's the internet... a medium which often fails to successfully translate humor and sarcasm. (Once again, this was all already addressed, of course, under the comment "you need to consider your environment")
  5. I don't care if you have Jewish friends. I don't even care if you're part Jewish. That is no excuse. (Once again, this was all already addressed, of course, under the comment "you need to recognize that there are people (like me) who don't know you and are reading your comments for the first time"... but we've already established a trend of you ignoring every point I made.)
Well, I guess I've wasted enough of my time on a clearly pointless exercise. I suppose I can at least find comfort in the fact that I did what I could and didn't allow it to go ignored. Plus, moments like this are always a good thing as they serve as a constant reminder that anti-Semitism is alive and well.

Once again, I apologize to the bystanders for not letting this go. If you're a part of any minority and have ever faced prejudice, I know you'll understand. If you don't understand and think I'm overreacting, I just ask you to put yourself in the shoes of any Jew who may have read that comment and ask yourself how you would have reacted.

Peace out.

Last edited by a moderator:
If that's your opinion about me then that's fine, i think you're a complete muppet for blowing A JOKEEEEEE out of proportion, and that's my opinion on you, and yeah i am part jewish but so what ? It wasn't a personal dark stab at anyone. If steve or another mod found it offensive personally they coulda just deleted it and sent me a message and said 'i deleted it because i didn't like your joke'. I do apologise to the people who didn't like it....

and good job pouring your heart about about it Viv.... i was kinda hoping for some better insults than that to be honest... just calling me an ....... is a bit disappointing

i think it would be in every ones best interest to drop/disregard the comment made. not everyone feels the same way about heckling. im sure the intention of the poster was not to cause anger, seeing as we are one BIG loving family here. that being said. lets enjoy the new year and keep SMILIN.

Exactly Henrid... i do feel a bit bad i ruined Steve's xmas thread LOL,

sorry steve !!!

crashtestjeep

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2009
Wilmington, NC
www.myspace.com
Um... WOW... you actually edited that post and still decided that sentence should remain? I'm a tad stunned to say the least. I've been reading posts on this Forum for a couple months now, and while I've come across some heated exchanges and light name-calling, this is the very first time I've come across any form of bigotry. To find it in the Vapor4Life forum is even more shocking to me, as I've been overly impressed with the quality of character I've specifically found in here... and having participated in the V4L forum quite a bit recently, I do feel like part of the V4L family... so I am especially disappointed in that regard.

Let me be clear here. I am completely aware that this was a joke and that no malice was intended. I also recognize that Steve himself made no remark that he was offended by this statement, and that perhaps there is a personal history between the two of you which I am not privy to, in which he understands your sense of humor. And seeing as I am apparently the only person to be offended by this, I also realize that since you are a "Super Member" with over 300 posts, that perhaps most of the other V4L forum participants also already know your personality and understand your sense of humor. So I don't know you and I won't judge you on this one statement. And let me repeat before I continue: I am completely aware that this was a joke and that no malice was intended.

That said, please listen to me when I tell you that you need to be completely aware that your statement was unequivocally anti-Semitic. And there is really no debate here. Regardless of your intent, that is an anti-Semitic statement. Whether it was just meant as friendly ribbing... or even remotely true that you have felt that every Jew you've ever met has been untrustworthy... those are anti-Semitic words that reek of bigotry, ethnic stereotyping, ignorance, and intolerance. You just need to understand that. (And there's something especially galling to find it in a "Merry Christmas" post.)

(Also know that this post is not coming from an overly sensitive person. I am a fan of some of the most offensive humor out there. I am even performing in a play right now that is full of ethnic stereotypes... and, yes, I'm even playing a stereotypical New York Jew. But it's all about context.)

I've had these conversations before, and I am honestly approaching this from a place of trying to help you understand how your words impact people. I once had a very friendly co-worker - a genuinely kind man with a good heart - tell me to my face how he was planning to "Jew down" a salesman in regards to a purchase he was about to make. I then calmly explained to him how that was an offensive expression and he really needed to refrain from using it... especially where we worked... a Hollywood movie studio with, needless to say, a large Jewish population. Similarly, I'm trying to help you here... while I know you were joking, like my co-worker, you need to consider your environment. While Steve and the rest of the V4L community may already understand you, you need to recognize that there are people (like me) who don't know you and are reading your comments for the first time. There are new people joining this Forum every day. And some will be Jewish. And some will be African-American. And some will be Gay. You just don't know. So, unless you are deliberately trying to offend, hurt, or attack people, you need to think before you type. Because one thing I can tell you for certain is that, as a Jew, all I read in that statement of yours is "I don't trust Jews".

I completely agree, and amunst all the comments that say "Ive heard all the jokes, Im part jewish, etc....to be honest...Ive heard it all too and honestly, Im intimatley offended by all the jokes, well most ..;) and even tho some of my "close friends" make them, I still find the jokes offensive and it makes me think diff of the people that think its ok to make "jokes" like that...Sometimes it helps to think about what someone on the other side of the "joke" may feel after hearing it....Just my Opinion tho.

Last edited:

crashtestjeep

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2009
Wilmington, NC
www.myspace.com
If that's your opinion about me then that's fine, i think you're a complete muppet for blowing A JOKEEEEEE out of proportion, and that's my opinion on you, and yeah i am part jewish but so what ? It wasn't a personal dark stab at anyone. If steve or another mod found it offensive personally they coulda just deleted it and sent me a message and said 'i deleted it because i didn't like your joke'. I do apologise to the people who didn't like it....

and good job pouring your heart about about it Viv.... i was kinda hoping for some better insults than that to be honest... just calling me an ....... is a bit disappointing

Its very obvious at this point that a joke is only funny if it offends someone other than you. I hate to jump in on something thats already been argued, but since the joke was on me too, whether directly or indirectly, i feel I have a right here......what makes you think ur "joke" is funny? THATS the part that BOTHERS ME!

Its very obvious at this point that a joke is only funny if it offends someone other than you. I hate to jump in on something thats already been argued, but since the joke was on me too, whether directly or indirectly, i feel I have a right here......what makes you think ur "joke" is funny? THATS the part that BOTHERS ME!

Do you not have any knowledge of jewish stereotype jokes ? or stereotype jokes in general ? If you don't i suggest you Google them. It's the same thing as people calling me a chav in england because i wear a baseball cap and a Burberry scarf, or you american peeps calling me a limey.

If anyone else wants to get into it, they're more than welcome to message me, this thread needs the emoticon of a dead horse being beaten with a stick...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread