Metal taste from Protank

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuritaro9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2013
Misawa Japan
I get the same taste from an iClear 30 but not my Protank. You can try soaking it in alcohol or boiling it to get rid of the taste.

i have never been able to get that metallic taste out of the iclear 30. multiple boils and vodka/vinegar soaks, and i still taste it. works fantastic, just makes everything taste like metal, so they had to be shelved for me.

Dj tank

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Ann Arbor michigan
If you think its because of the metal tip you can take one of the condomns that the protank heads come in, snip off the end, and slide of over the mouthpiece. Just to rule that out. I don't get a metal taste off any of the 4 tanks I have... Though I remember back a few months ago when my taste buds were changing from quitting smoking that some of the metal drip tips I had did in fact have a metal(y) taste for a week or two.

Fishtec

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
England
i have never been able to get that metallic taste out of the iclear 30. multiple boils and vodka/vinegar soaks, and i still taste it. works fantastic, just makes everything taste like metal, so they had to be shelved for me.

Not even put a tank through my iclear 30 complete waste of money from me too hate it

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Try removing the silicone cap seal over the wicks (at the bottom of the ridged air tube). You'll get more robust flavor. When the juice gets low, you may or may not get some gurgling because of the missing seal. Fill it up and it goes away. Removing the seal allows the suction of vaping to put a little additional juice on the coil. My take is that when you screw the tank back on, the seal tends to compress and pinch the wicks, lowering their absorption rate This is the fix that made me like my Protank. If you don't like it you can't always slide it back on.

ProTankHead-2.jpg

Last edited:

zacthemac

Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
Houston, TX, US
When I first got my protank I got HORRIBLE metallic taste for the first several hits. I looked inside the center tube through the hole of the mouthpiece and down about halfway there was RUST and paint chipping. I put a q tip down there and got it as clean as possible, and also soaked it in alcohol. Then I refilled, vaped, and still got the same taste but not quite as strong. They were dry hits, but with terrible metallic taste like no dry hit I have ever gotten. Sooo, then I took of the bottom, unscrewed the bottom coil replacement, popped off the top piece, and removed all but a couple small strands of the "flavor" wick. (there is one wick for the actual coil and then a loose wick on top of that called the "flavor wick") I left a tiny bit of the extra wick and ever since then I have not received a single dry hit or metallic tasting hit. This was a very odd experience for me, but I was new to bottom coils at the time, and this is what worked! hope it helps

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
I think the primary function of the silicone seal is to keep liquid from going up the air tube inside the tank, you may want to just flip it upside down as others have done. You'll still get the sealing effect and have less restriction on the wicks.
Those stupid flavour wicks are just useless imo. and are the first things to go.
I stick 2mm. of new cotton wick into the coil and have zero leaking or gurgling.YMMV.

Jacqui

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2013
McKinney, Texas
I was having the metallic taste on my new Protank too. What I discovered was that the taste was very similar to the smell of the packaging. Kind of like a metal grease/formed foam smell. I took it apart and cleaned everything with hot water and then soaked the bottom coil in rum for a couple of hours. I then rinsed it again in hot water to get all of the sugar from the rum (151) out and the taste is gone. I think that either the smell of the grease stuff or the packaging soaks into the wicks and that is where the taste is coming from. I ordered some replacement coils to see if they have the same smell when they arrive. I have already cleaned the second one that comes with the kit. I did not put it back in the fancy case - just letting it air out :)

cerver7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2010
Shamong NJ
I have heard of people replacing the wicks with cotton and copper wire. Is there a tutorial on here some where to help explain how to do it?

i have been using this method:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/389074-micro-coil-rba-your-reo.html

its a micro coil with a cotton wick made from a qtip. Its a fantasic vape. I gave up on my KPT until i found this. IMO silica tastes funny in the KPT and the stock heads are garbage. but some like them, just not me.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I think the primary function of the silicone seal is to keep liquid from going up the air tube inside the tank, you may want to just flip it upside down as others have done. You'll still get the sealing effect and have less restriction on the wicks.
Those stupid flavour wicks are just useless imo. and are the first things to go.
I stick 2mm. of new cotton wick into the coil and have zero leaking or gurgling.YMMV.

That's what the intended purpose appears to be. I never get liquid in the mouth even with the seal removed, but the flavor is notably better. I guess I need to remove one of the wicks and see how that works. I haven't gotten around to doing that.

Natey

Moved On
May 26, 2013
I get the same taste from an iClear 30 but not my Protank. You can try soaking it in alcohol or boiling it to get rid of the taste.

I dont get that taste with my IClear 30, as I've said before i modded it to accept Stardust type DT's.... Works awesome, and warmer Vape plus no condensation.... And the best part no gurgles no leaks and overall length is shorter....

uitzetter

Jul 12, 2012
The Netherlands
i have been using this method:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/389074-micro-coil-rba-your-reo.html

its a micro coil with a cotton wick made from a qtip. Its a fantasic vape. I gave up on my KPT until i found this. IMO silica tastes funny in the KPT and the stock heads are garbage. but some like them, just not me.

I read about it and it's very interesting. I prefer the taste of cotton. Question: If you are using a microcoil, it would have a coildiameter of no bigger then 1.6mm right? What do you do to keep the Protank from flooding? Do you just lie a strand of cotton on top of your coil or somehing? Second question; I like to chainvape. As these are very, very short and small wicks, how can they keep up when chainvaping?

Not trying to take over this thread, but I think you might be on to something here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread