sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
From CASAA:

This proposed tax was brought to you courtesy of Altria and RJ Reynolds. *sigh*

If you live in Michigan, you need to act now to let your legislators know that you oppose any tax on e-cigarettes above and beyond a general sales tax. We've made it as easy as possible by issuing a CQ Roll Call campaign to allow you to send an email to your elected officials. The email is FULLY EDITABLE by you, and we STRONGLY ENCOURAGE you (which sounds much nicer than "beg") to personalize your letter by sharing your story.

We've also asked Michigan folks to CALL members of the Senate Finance Committee to express opposition. Names and phone numbers for members of the committee are included in the blog.

A few minutes of your time can make a huge difference.

Call to Action:
CASAA: Call to Action: Michigan Legislators are Considering an Excise Tax on E-Cigarettes

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
From CASAA's site:
While Michigan consumers might regard fifteen cents per 1.5 milliliter of liquid as relatively modest for a "sin tax," the fact is that e-cigarettes shouldn't be subject to ANY "sin tax."

IDK about others, but that's not at all insignificant. That's 30 cents per 3 ml. That about doubles my DIY vape budget. But to be fair, my figure comes from internet vendors selling base. I occasionally buy from local retail shops though, but at a much higher cost per ml.

Anyone know about internet sales on this and how that would work?
Since the bill is an amendment, IDK how that 15 cent figure is derived. Will have to do more research. I'm not arguing it, I just didn't see it in the amendment. Maybe I had the wrong search terms. It's probably indirect...like the existing tax is 15% per something on smokeless somethings, and juice gets put into that category at a rate of 1.5 ml = 1 unit. (Where did THAT come from legislators?)

Last edited:

bobrob

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2012
North Carolina, USA
wiredrake.com
IDK about others, but that's not at all insignificant. That's 30 cents per 3 ml.

And don't forget, that is just the beginning. Here is what the one of our esteemed representatives from NC (which passed such a tax already) said about it:

"Sen. Floyd McKissick, D-Durham, called the proposed 5 cent tax a "good place to start," but he added that lawmakers may need to consider raising it in coming years as the state budget begins to lose revenue..."

I remember when the cig tax was just 30 cents a pack too.

JohnnyDill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Uranus
This is complete and utter NONSENSE. E-cig liquid contains NO TOBACCO. How can it, by definition, be classified as such? :confused::confused::confused: I am a Michigan vaper, and the time is now to stock up on a liter or two of 100mg nicotine. ;)

Edit: I did my part, and sent my message to whom it may concern. :)

Last edited:

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
This is complete and utter NONSENSE. E-cig liquid contains NO TOBACCO. How can it, by definition, be classified as such? :confused::confused::confused: I am a Michigan vaper, and the time is now to stock up on a liter or two of 100mg nicotine. ;)

Very short summary:
The courts classified e-juice that contains nic as a tobacco product...this kept the FDA from regulating e-cigs as drug-delivery-devices (mostly in the medical sense, I suppose) but classifies it for regulation purposes as a tobacco product. Double edged sword.

So, it does contain nic extract from tobacco unless it's zero nic. Of course, hopefully the extract has 100's of times if not 1000 times less harmful chemicals than the whole deal.

Last edited:

jwibbity

Jun 12, 2014
Kannapolis, NC

I believe because the nicotine liquid used in the juice is still derived from tobacco products so technically all juice that has any nicotine in it is a tobacco product.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Well, at least one will vote against this, the sponsor of the bill! He is not hopeful he will have much support. :(

Skubick: E-Cigarette Compromise Rankles Ban Sponsor - WLNS TV 6 Lansing - Jackson | Your Local News Leader

Rick Jones made a lot of sense. Let's hope the rest of them grow some brains. I'm disappointed with Snyder on this. If they need revenue, they can get it with general fair taxes, not with taxes targeting a small group like us while harming quitting efforts. The dollars don't add up and neither does the logic.

Might as well vote Democratic for Governor in the next election...having Snyder (a Republican) doesn't appear to make any difference anyway.

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina
Rick Jones made a lot of sense. Let's hope the rest of them grow some brains. I'm disappointed with Snyder on this. If they need revenue, they can get it with general fair taxes, not with taxes targeting a small group like us while harming quitting efforts. The dollars don't add up and neither does the logic.

Might as well vote Democratic for Governor in the next election...having Snyder (a Republican) doesn't appear to make any difference anyway.

Repubs..Dems..same thing..See Libertarian! :)

y cherry y

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Ypsilanti, MI
Very short summary:
The courts classified e-juice that contains nic as a tobacco product...this kept the FDA from regulating e-cigs as drug-delivery-devices (mostly in the medical sense, I suppose) but classifies it for regulation purposes as a tobacco product. Double edged sword.

So, it does contain nic extract from tobacco unless it's zero nic. Of course, hopefully the extract has 100's of times if not 1000 times less harmful chemicals than the whole deal.

The court did NOT classify it as such. The judge merely suggested that the FDA might try regulating it that way. He made no ruling except to say that it was not a medical device.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
The court did NOT classify it as such. The judge merely suggested that the FDA might try regulating it that way. He made no ruling except to say that it was not a medical device.

Thanks. Yeah...I guess I should have said something to the effect of they more or less suggested the FDA regulate it under that classification (at least, that's what they are doing). Not that they actually classified it. So my bad.

Funny. I've been in the "it gets it's own classification" camp forever. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread