Micro coil, macro coil, nano coil? Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tayone415

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2013
CA
What are the actual definition for these terms? Because I've heard people say it's the gauge of wire you use, or the width of the object you wrap the coil around (like what guage/mm drill bit or syringe or whatever), whether the coil itself is compressed so the wraps touch, etc.

Are there actual definitions to these types of wraps?

Super nano coil: smallest wrapped around a thin paper clip or needle
Nano coil: wrapped around 18-20 gauge syringe.
Micro coil: under 2mm diameter. ie: 1/16, 5/64, 3/32 drill bit or precision screwdriver
Macro coil 2.0 mm + diameter coil...7/64 or 1/8 drill bit

tayone415

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2013
CA
Wow. I feel so trendy! I've been wrapping micro coils this whole time and I didn't even know it!
PS, I started using the little screwdriver because it was there. ;)

As long as the diameter of the screwdriver and coilis are under 2mm some precision screwdrivers may be larger depending on the set ans screwdriver of course, but using screwdrivers can make coil wrapping a lot easier.

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
Those terms just refer to the size of the coil

Nano: Cannot fit wicking material through them; instead you run a ball of cotton below and to the sides of these coils

Mico: Wicking material will fit and can be run below as well (may favorite of the 3)

Maco: Basically a clean version of the prebuilt coils you usually see.

the closest thing i've had to a 510 Cartomizer is a nano coil wicked internally

doctadrea

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2013
Maui
I propose we create a governing body to define the terms. The members will be secret, of course, and will meet twice a year on an uninhabited island in the Pacific for three days to debate. Once they have reached a decision, it will be announced by an information campaign, perhaps flyers dropped from planes in large population centers. Monkeys and/or llamas may be used to reach remote areas.
The penalty for misusing the terms set forth by the Vaping Grand Council will be harsh.

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
A microcoil is a coil with no space between the rounds. "Nano" and "Macro" are both microcoils. Both the "nano" and "macro" terms are silly. It's better to use mm or inches so people know what's being talked about.

nano, micro & macro already states the thickness! its not hard men!

its not silly... either open coils or closed coils
supernano .5mm
nano 1mm and lower
micro 1/16 & lower
macro is above 1/16

no need to try change the way its always been :lol:

EuroChris

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2014
Norway
nano, micro & macro already states the thickness! its not hard men!

its not silly... either open coils or closed coils
supernano .5mm
nano 1mm and lower
micro 1/16 & lower
macro is above 1/16

no need to try change the way its always been :lol:
I disagree. An open coil can never be a micro coil.

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω

EuroChris

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2014
Norway

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Yeah, I agree. No need to argue.

People can call it what they want. People should understand what people mean either way.

:)

40g9zt1.jpg

There that ought to help. And here's the first "micro coil" ever made. I called it a micro coil cause it was so small. Blame you tube celebs for misconstruing it and misleading the general vaping public. We do have a 12k post thread on micro coils over in coil builds too :)

RRQKIQZ.jpg

Peace :)

EuroChris

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2014
Norway
40g9zt1.jpg

There that ought to help. And here's the first "micro coil" ever made. I called it a micro coil cause it was so small. Blame you tube celebs for misconstruing it and misleading the general vaping public. We do have a 12k post thread on micro coils over in coil builds too :)

RRQKIQZ.jpg

Peace :)

I stand corrected. :)

Good to know. I'm relieved that "macro coils" arent mentioned, though ;)

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
So where is flavor country? nano? micro? macro?

It seems that the smaller the 'pipe', the less fluid that can flow through it. Wouldn't a 3mm coil wick more juice than a 1mm? Assuming same relative material (organic cotton) and Ohm/wattage etc.

There is a break point that too much wick/juice will effect the coils ability to quickly heat up. This point will vary depending on wick material and how much is used.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
I think of hydronics when I think of coil / wick. Let's think about a round pipe. Now if I spray some water on it. Where does the water go - it trickles down to the bottom leaving the top dry.

That's sort of what drove me to try a tiny diameter coil (micro coil).

IMO smaller diameter ( yet internally wickable ) coils would negate the hydronic effect of juice migrating to the bottom of the wick leaving the top of the wick drier.

I've tried a nano but internally wicking it was a challenge and this kid don't do no PID / cloud style external wicks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread