Micro coil, macro coil, nano coil? Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archon

Apr 12, 2014
California, USA
What are the actual definition for these terms? Because I've heard people say it's the gauge of wire you use, or the width of the object you wrap the coil around (like what guage/mm drill bit or syringe or whatever), whether the coil itself is compressed so the wraps touch, etc.

Are there actual definitions to these types of wraps?

Reactions: halbgott

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
The terms nano, micro and macro refer to the inner diameter of the coil. What means what varies from person to person.

Nano: smallest
Micro: mediumest
Macro: largest
What Face Meat said. I don't think ANSI has weighed in yet with their opinion. :)

Reactions: Empress Kitty

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
What are the actual definition for these terms? Because I've heard people say it's the gauge of wire you use, or the width of the object you wrap the coil around (like what guage/mm drill bit or syringe or whatever), whether the coil itself is compressed so the wraps touch, etc.

Are there actual definitions to these types of wraps?
Although I choose to not use non-specific, untranslatable terms & phrases to identify coil types - preferring instead to give actual ID dimensions, horizontal or vertical orientation, compressed or open wrapping and measured leg lengths - a "micro coil" was the original term to describe a compressed wrap coil built on a 1/16" (0.0625"/1.57mm) mandrel.
The intent being to better utilize coil surface area and heat concentration.

If you use a coil modeling calculator, like the one at the end of my sig line hyperlink below... you'll find that non-specific terms are of no value what-so-ever, instead, requiring hard data. ;-)

Cheers

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
If you use a coil modeling calculator, like the one at the end of my sig line hyperlink below... you'll find that non-specific terms are of no value what-so-ever, instead, requiring hard data. ;-)

Thanks State O'Flux -- that's a wonderful "all in one" calculator!

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Thank you dshgr... I'm an ex-tech instructor/writer who dealt in facts, accuracy and hard data. IMO, there's really no room for BS in conversations concerning wire, battery and Ohm's Law... especially when trying to convey accurate information to another.

Glad you like it Susan, but all credit goes to Dampmaskin in Norway... Steam Engine's developer. In fact, his name is steam engine in Norwegian.

Cheers all ;-)

AntnyMikal

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2014
Clarksville, TN, USA
From what I've seen around the web and when I talk to other local vapers:

Nano- anything wrapped on something1/16 drill bit and smaller
Micro- higher than 1/16 bit and smaller than 1/8 bit
Macro- 1/8 bit and up.

That's at least what I use as a reference or guide when conversing with others about builds. Even then, normally we just state the size and gauge.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
All the names are just silly. Wraps gauge and compressed or spaced are helpful. I did do one on an Allan wrench. Maybe I should come up with a cute hexavertimaster coil type name for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The next big thing... "Tom's Hex-averti-master!" The name says it all, ah... right?
shout.gif

GrandSam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
Oceanside, CA, USA
Those terms just refer to the size of the coil

Nano: Cannot fit wicking material through them; instead you run a ball of cotton below and to the sides of these coils

mico: Wicking material will fit and can be run below as well (may favorite of the 3)

Maco: Basically a clean version of the prebuilt coils you usually see.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
I use a 1/16th drill bit and 28 gauge kanthal currently. I make what I've always called "microcoils" which I thought defined compressed coils... 28 gauge kanthal only because that was what a vendor having a sale happened to have available at the time. I also have some 32 gauge that someone sent me on a trade as an extra.

Tom Fuller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2014
Mansfield, Texas, United States
The next big thing... "Tom's Hex-averti-master!" The name says it all, ah... right?
shout.gif

And the funny thing is I was just looking for something that was the right diameter and could take the heat of torching. The coil sucked for those wandering. It is near impossible to maintain the shape and compress it. The shape seemed to create a bunch of hot and cold spots.

And the funny thing is I was just looking for something that was the right diameter and could take the heat of torching. The coil sucked for those wandering. It is near impossible to maintain the shape and compress it. The shape seemed to create a bunch of hot and cold spots.

I use a SMALL allen wrench to "spool" my 28gauge kanthal, for my Kayfun. It came out just like any other coil... Perfectly round. Works like a champ with 8 wraps @ 1.5 ohms. (I use it on my SID)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread