the beast box
- continuous short circuit protection
- overcurrent protection
- overload protection
- overheat protection
- 6 amp limit

okr-t6
denali10OKR-T6.jpg

A micro coil vaped on this "thick like soup"..
A sub ohm coil is not anywhere near as good as a micro coil with proper setup as Dr g is saying.
Wire gauge, proper coil size micro, makes the difference. More wick coverage equals more; given to heat to same temps..
nicrcurr.jpg

nicrcur2.jpg

Last edited:

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
The really great part about a micro is that it does not need to be heated up to such extreme temps as a sub ohm coil to produce same amount of vapors.
This quantifier leads to a safer vape as it wont flame or torch your throat. My throat has suffered enough from dry hits on a sub coil just trying to play around with it, my micros just dont vape correctly when running close to dry.. SS mesh with hybrid legs of cotton cloud stuffed inside of silica sleeves; feeds instantly every hit.. No cotton touches the coil, sleeved about 2 mm away from coil and stuffed with cotton..

coil.jpg

Last edited:

nj1001

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2009
Boston-ish
This is my ongoing point in all of these threads ... resistance doesn't really matter. It's all about the wattage and the build.

How do you figure resistance doesn't matter? I think it is a significant component more so than whether its a micro, nano or neither. The whole point in my mind is determining clearly for noobs & vets alike exactly where the lines of what is safest.

Granted variables include: particular batteries (how long they've been used, max amps, etc), ohms of resistance on any coil set up, power & device w/ or without kick. Another contributing factor could be a fuse.

Without knowing resistance you're taking out a critical piece from the equation in determining thermal melt-down risk. I could build a 0.2ohm coil which is micro, nano or well spread apart and neither and its still going to put a lot of stress on any battery and increase the risk of meltdown. Is it not?

nj1001

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2009
Boston-ish
For reasons I just mentioned ohms should be included in the initial post a pertinent info.

Every thread I've read in this forum so far on this topic gets derailed or incorporates conflicting beliefs.

I would like a clear and simple sticky that takes each variable into account and is easy for anyone that can read to understand for the sole purpose of determining what is and what is not safe to prevent batteries from exploding on people and causing vaping to get banned as a result. That's what I want. :D

Tbev

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2013
SoCal-Vegas
instagram.com
I'm new to mechanicals and RBA's, I bought a green Panasonic, I think 30, not sure, battery 18650, it's what the guy at the shop said was the best he had, I don't know what it is tho. Where should I go to find out how much draw I can take, and what GA., wraps, etc. I found this thread looking for the info but I need more than the Ohm calc.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
How do you figure resistance doesn't matter? I think it is a significant component more so than whether its a micro, nano or neither. The whole point in my mind is determining clearly for noobs & vets alike exactly where the lines of what is safest.

Granted variables include: particular batteries (how long they've been used, max amps, etc), ohms of resistance on any coil set up, power & device w/ or without kick. Another contributing factor could be a fuse.

Without knowing resistance you're taking out a critical piece from the equation in determining thermal melt-down risk. I could build a 0.2ohm coil which is micro, nano or well spread apart and neither and its still going to put a lot of stress on any battery and increase the risk of meltdown. Is it not?

Depends on the wattage.

ck32250

Dec 19, 2013
Jacksonville, FL
Wow, coming from someone fairly new to this, there are some ineresting points argued here. Seems as everyone is arguing a different angle or approach to the same issue.
I'm guessing Dr g is saying coil mass and watts are the most important factors. I arrived here because I am confused about why a micro works as good as it does... It seems like all that coil mass is wasted being crammed together. But, I'm guessing getting hotter quicker makes up for it you just need a wick that can keep up that where cotton comes into play.
I've never built anything but micros with cotton but I'm trying to explore the idea that a spread coil would be more efficient using less watts if I don't mind the ramp up time.

Sent from my phone, please excuse the brevity and typos.

Revelene

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2013
Kentucky, USA
Micro or sub-ohm coil: Sub-Ohm
Device: Nemesis
Battery: AW 18650 2000mah
Delivery device: Igo-W (With 5/64 drilled air holes)
Coil type: 28g Kanthal A1 (Dual coil, 0.6 Ohm)
Wick type: Organic Cotton
Juice: Tasty Vapor's Butter Cream

Pros: Amazing flavor! Cheaper than buying premade attys. The relatively large deck on the Igo-W makes for an easy setup. The clouds of warm vapor yummy goodness!

Cons: Battery life. Have to carry extra batteries. It doesn't make me breakfast.

Honestly, it is extremely easy to do and have no clue why everyone makes a big deal about it. Yeah, you have to be safe and know the dangers but everything in life is dangerous but that doesn't stop people from doing it. It didn't take me long to learn how to do it the right way. Anyone that knows simple math and has access to the internet can learn. The only downside is that some people (the ones that think they don't need instruction manuals but complain when stuff doesn't work) don't like to research and think they "know it all".

koski88

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2013
Boca Raton, FL, USA
Micro or sub-ohm coil: Sub-Ohm
Device: Nemesis
Battery: AW IMR 18650 2000mah
Delivery device: IGO-W (With 5/32 drilled air holes)
Coil type: Dual coil (28g kanthal A1 4/5 wrap 0.5 ohms)
Wick type: Organic Cotton
Juice: Timebomb Vapors TNT

Pros - Amazing flavor, doesn't even compare to using carto tanks IMHO, huge vapor production (especially with my big bore air holes)
Cons - Battery life (but I always keep extra batteries on me)

If you know the saftey precautions to take with subohm vaping then it's not a problem, I always stress safety to anyone messing with mechs and subohm coil builds, I wouldn't want to see anyone get hurt doing it.

VaporClouds

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2013
Bethel Island, CA
All i build is subohm micro coils sometimes twisted. I only use 30 amp imr (sony) and 25 amp MNKE with 60 amp pulse (a pulse is 6-7 seconds).
There seems to be misunderstandings of microcoils. Ill post this from my Tumblr blog.
Micro coil does not mean small coil, the term “micro” is referring to the miniscule distance between each wrap, for instance, a micro coil can be big OR small, as long as the coils are very close together. Micro coil doesnt mean small coil.

You do not need to follow the 1/16th thing alot of people are saying. When you take into consideration that “micro” does not mean small coil, than you realize the whole 1/16th size method does not make much sense imo.

I typically build my micro coils with 28 guage kanthal with anywhere from 5-6 wraps, dual coil.
Just to clear things up, a micro does not need to be 10+ wraps and 1/16th.
The difference between a standard coil and a micro is on a standard coil, the wraps are seperated and a micro the wraps are close together.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    As far as I've seen, there are nano, micro and mini coils. All which have touching wraps.

Don't forget tricoils & diamond coils :lol:

Micro or sub-ohm coil: Micro
    Device: Reo, Zen, Chi, Silver Bullet, Provari
    Battery: Efest IMR 18500
    Delivery device: A7, and A7 Mini
    Coil type: 9/10 wrap 30ga, 1.7-2ohms
    Wick type: 3 strands of 0.8mm silica
    Juice: 10mg DiY

Last edited:

VaPreis

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 5, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    I hate the term "Sub Ohm" for a couple of different reasons. For one, it has obviously and quickly become a buzz word and many new vapors are quickly lead to the false idea that this is what they need to do to get a good vape. Secondly, from the other perspective, a "sub ohm" coil build has been falsely labeled as inherently dangerous. Also, not true.

And for what it's worth, this morning I built a .8Ω microcoil which I am currently vaping on quite comfortably and enjoying thoroughly on an unregulated mechanical mod.

The difference between me and many other new vapers learning how to build their first atomizers, no matter whether it's a microcoil, a standard wrapped coil, above or below 1Ω, is that I understand how to properly test the resistance of my build and calculate the current it will draw on my battery, as well as having an understanding of the rate of current flow my batteries can handle

Ohm's law is simple math, and I don't need a calculator to figure if my build is safe. I can do that in my head. What has to be learned is how to properly test an atomizer, whether it's with a meter or one of those 510 resistance testers and then properly figure the current draw using a simple math equation. To much current draw on your build for your battery? Back to the drawing board.

The method at which the coil is wrapped is very secondary in regards to your safety.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread