Status
Not open for further replies.

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
Well here is another find I'm a bit excited to find.

While going through my pictures to update my personal website ( still )... I came across what I thought was just a nice shot of the Cresent Moon at sunset that I took back in March of 2013. I had made some smaller versions ( for web use etc ), but I hadn't done any processing that I could tell on it. Of course it wasn't a big surprise, other than the Cresent Moon, the sky was clear with a typical dark blue down to a rusty red dusk and no clouds to speak of... pretty but not particularly outstanding outside of the Moon itself.

Well, I liked the Moon a lot ( who doesn't like a nice Cresent Moon ) and then chose one that had a power pole and trees that I liked to frame it with ( they all had those, I just picked the one I liked the most from them ). So I proceeded with the post processing. When I finished, I thought I saw a star with a trail on it and was sort of cussing that even though star trails are a thing to be expected with most night shots. Then I noticed, it also had a "tail"... and I looked closer, the other stars had no trails on them ( nor tails ).

So I did some quick research... I expected that I'd just caught a meteorite by luck but wanted to make certain. Turns out.. it was Comet Panstarrs instead. This will be the 3rd comet I've caught a pic of. Now I'm wishing I went outside right after sunset to see if I could find Comet Leonard or not. With the cold snap we've got, it's a good chance at getting a shot of it.

To find the Comet in the pic ( it's not huge by any means )... find the power line that is just over the Moon and go to the left side just about the same distance that the Moon is from the right side.. and look under the power line.

Smiling Cresent and Comet Panstarrs_P3120056_2013-03-12_On1_wm.jpg

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
Well... I'm happy to report that I'm done with the most of the work on updating my personal website. So it's been a long month of working on pics...

I've changed the sites theme and made 15 new pages for all of the pics... I removed the old versions of pics ( originally 437 of them ) and reworked from the original JPG or RAW photo and ended up uploading 502 making what the website has with higher resolution versions that are also cleaner looking without the noise the original ones had. I also culled out a lot of pics that I felt were redundant ( mostly the Moon pics and lightning pics ) as well as adding some newer pics that were never on the website previously. I still have a few additional tweaks like some internal links from their parent page to the child pages they contain... and perhaps a few other things I've considered.

I've got a lot of pics of various subjects I've taken shots of over the years... in short, if it stood still too long, I probably took a pic of it... lol

If you wish to see what I did... my website is at https://www.rdsok.net/

rdsok

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Norman, Ok
Not a lot happening with me... much like this thread I suppose.

When not busy with work, I have been doing a little game streaming on Twitch. Not being a big gamer and certainly not the more popular stuff in most cases... it is more fun when you have someone to chat with while playing around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread