Apr 30, 2015
Dry and windy

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
Just replaced the screen on the DNA200. The button was still pinching the ribbon and it started cutting out when the fire button was touched. At first I thought it was weird that the screen shut off when firing and came back when I released the fire button. I tried to see if it was a setting in Escribe and even tried hard rebooting the chip.

I took the mod apart and it looks like the failure isn't where the ribbon was pinched but at the base where it connects to the display. I played with it to see if I could get it to stay connected but every time I tried to assemble the mod where the ribbon wasn't pinched, the display was dark. I used my other display and carefully pre-bent the ribbon so when I installed it, it would collapse away from the fire button so it wouldn't be pinched. Worked great and now the BRD200 is fully functional again :D.

Where do I get another screen though?

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
awsum140 said:
Hey BRD, ever think of taking that squonker and moving the 510 connector down into the bottle area to make a low tank mod? I keep looking at it and thinking about converting it, but it already has a 510 hole on the top so it's a no go.

I can draw it and upload it and you can test it out...Squonk_me ordered the first rough out, so there is likely significant input from his testing that we could roll into it, but yea the concept is solid.

I too was thinking about modifying your squonker into a vtr style mod (because of your awesome modular design) by:
  • Making entire mod taller to accommodate the turnigy 1500mah battery https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=64938.
  • Making mod height taller would also allow for the mod to be a dual purpose DNA200/DNA40 design by incorporating a DNA40 control panel mount in a shortened squonk cover below the 510 well allowing for:
    • Your original DNA200 squonk design to be used with 1500mah battery.
    • A DNA200 VTR configuration to be used instead of squonker, incorporating 42mm drop well 510 in the squonk area with a 10mm tall top ring.
    • DNA200 control panel to be replaced with a blank cover and a DNA40 control panel to be incorporated below 510 drop well in a modified squonk cover panel.
    • Another possibility is to install a DNA40 upside down in your DNA200 control panel to allow the display OLED window to be installed on top of the mod in a flask type manner.
That modular design of yours lends itself to so many configuration possibilities and I really have to give you credit for a great design!

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
Got the first one together :) Running a dual NI200 coil @ .06 vaping like a Beast :) It took about as long as an 18650 does to charge the Lipo. Now to see how long it will last?
Escribe is pretty cool there are a lot of new settings to play with. Should keep me busy for a while :)

Cotay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
Central Coast California
Reactions: Steamer861

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
A little off topic but now that I have the DNA200's with this big battery :) I can easily take one to work and have no worries with battery life :)
So now I would really like to find a 3D printed enclosure with a single 18650 for my SX 350J
I would really like to make it a smaller size mod. Anyone know of any? or seen any on there travels?
I really like this size and form factor ARIES MAIN BODY V2 0000 (sx350 chip mod) (MSAGGA3ZN) by CustardVapebut this one is for the old SX 350 chip :(
Any help is appreciated Thanks

BlueridgeDog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2014
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
Got the first one together :) Running a dual NI200 coil @ .06 vaping like a Beast :) It took about as long as an 18650 does to charge the Lipo. Now to see how long it will last?
Escribe is pretty cool there are a lot of new settings to play with. Should keep me busy for a while :)

Excellent....you and KTMRider got the early version...the display has been lowered 4mm to make ribbon management easier and the buttons have been sorted...Thanks for your turn as a test subject.

I am getting over a day of heavy vaping on mine, though I just fubared mine...more on that in a bit.

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
Excellent....you and KTMRider got the early version...the display has been lowered 4mm to make ribbon management easier and the buttons have been sorted...Thanks for your turn as a test subject.

I am getting over a day of heavy vaping on mine, though I just fubared mine...more on that in a bit.

Thank You! for the design :) Hope you didn't fubar Your's too bad
I'm really liking mine so far, it's a hand full but I'm happy with it cause of the large battery :)
Now I'm confident I can make a whole day even with dual coils and lower Ohm builds :)
Thanks again BRD :)

BlueridgeDog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2014
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
As to how I goofed it up (sort of...but got it sorted).

Since I had a good case that I had printed in white just to test, I thought I would test a way to seal it and color it:

Equal parts nail polish, cyanoacrylate glue and acetone:

Dipped the mod:

One dip was nice, two was perfect but three was too thick and impacted the close tolerances. Also the process seems to have shrunk the print by about 1% to 2%...so it blew my screen registration and sliding door. I was able to get it back together and sand out some build up...the end result is nice (sanded down to 800 grit is has a slick feel). All back together but I needed a mallet to slide the door on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread