Status
Not open for further replies.

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
NY
Tapping for the tinkerer, with my 510 tap on it's way (along with some more 510's :)) my attention turned to better ways to hand tap straight. I've got a couple cloned Hana boxes I want to upgrade the 510's in and I'll have to tap those because the thickness of the metal where the 510 goes won't allow use of the nuts that come with the 510's. My default method has been to first aligning and centering my work locked in a vise mounted to the press, drill the hole then remove the drill bit, chuck a tap and use the chuck to tap the hole nicely centered and straight. If the piece already has the hole drilled like these boxes do from the existing crappy 510's in them, I'll find a drill bit that closely matches the hole and use that as a guide to align and center the box in the vise before tapping.

Once again I turn to youtube to weed through the crap to find credible and useful info on hand tapping straight holes, there is always a better way and smarter people then me out there willing to share their knowledge! (I'll derail here for a moment to enlighten the younger crowd, before the internet and youtube we had these little papers in our wallets called library cards, if you seeked knowledge you would travel to a big cold granite building full of books. If they didn't have the books you needed on the shelf, the grumpy lady who's main vocabulary was "Shush" would order books from some grand secret location and you would have to return days later to read them, my how times have changed.) Anyways, there is a fellow on youtube who has tons of great videos with tips on machining, although a lot of the info you'll never use there are things he shows that the home tinkerer can always benefit from, he has a few all about taps and tapping. I urge you to check them out, here's a couple I liked and found very useful.

BTW, one of the things he showed that is really neat are these magnetic bulls eye bubble level's that attach to your tap handle!
Tap Handle Level - Edge Technology

I see "the mail is here" flag is up on the mailbox, guess I'll venture to the box and see if the Holy Mail Gods have decided I'm worthy and blessed me with my packages yesterday or if they are still withholding them in punishment of my sins. :rolleyes:

(Does anyone still have a library card? :?:)

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
Tapping for the tinkerer, with my 510 tap on it's way (along with some more 510's :)) my attention turned to better ways to hand tap straight. I've got a couple cloned Hana boxes I want to upgrade the 510's in and I'll have to tap those because the thickness of the metal where the 510 goes won't allow use of the nuts that come with the 510's. My default method has been to first aligning and centering my work locked in a vise mounted to the press, drill the hole then remove the drill bit, chuck a tap and use the chuck to tap the hole nicely centered and straight. If the piece already has the hole drilled like these boxes do from the existing crappy 510's in them, I'll find a drill bit that closely matches the hole and use that as a guide to align and center the box in the vise before tapping.

Once again I turn to youtube to weed through the crap to find credible and useful info on hand tapping straight holes, there is always a better way and smarter people then me out there willing to share their knowledge! (I'll derail here for a moment to enlighten the younger crowd, before the internet and youtube we had these little papers in our wallets called library cards, if you seeked knowledge you would travel to a big cold granite building full of books. If they didn't have the books you needed on the shelf, the grumpy lady who's main vocabulary was "Shush" would order books from some grand secret location and you would have to return days later to read them, my how times have changed.) Anyways, there is a fellow on youtube who has tons of great videos with tips on machining, although a lot of the info you'll never use there are things he shows that the home tinkerer can always benefit from, he has a few all about taps and tapping. I urge you to check them out, here's a couple I liked and found very useful.

BTW, one of the things he showed that is really neat are these magnetic bulls eye bubble level's that attach to your tap handle!
Tap Handle Level - Edge Technology

I see "the mail is here" flag is up on the mailbox, guess I'll venture to the box and see if the Holy Mail Gods have decided I'm worthy and blessed me with my packages yesterday or if they are still withholding them in punishment of my sins. :rolleyes:

The drill press is a great Idea for starting the tap. I use the level on my iPhone, on the box when it's on the Drill press deck, if it's level I drill, then start the tap in the chuck, then do the rest by hand. Nice straight threads every time :)

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
NY
The drill press is a great Idea for starting the tap. I use the level on my iPhone, on the box when it's on the Drill press deck, if it's level I drill, then start the tap in the chuck, then do the rest by hand. Nice straight threads every time :)

That's a great idea! I didn't even know they had a level app LoL. I'm one of those old farts who don't like change, I still have my old flip phone. But then again all I want is to be able to call for help if I need it, I don't text and I hate chatting on the damn thing. When I had my accident that cost me my leg, I was laying way out in the back yard where no one could see or hear me, thank God I had my cell phone in my pocket. Now I never leave the house without it!

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
I'm not that young myself :) I find a lot of use's for my phone, GPS, the browser is great, can find info or answers on the go
Also a great way to entertain my self on those boring works days :) If I ever forget my phone at home when I leave it's going to be a Bad! Day!

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
NY
I'm not that young myself :) I find a lot of use's for my phone, GPS, the browser is great, can find info or answers on the go
Also a great way to entertain my self on those boring works days :) If I ever forget my phone at home when I leave it's going to be a Bad! Day!

I hear you, the wife got a smart phone a couple weeks ago. We sat together figuring the thing out and I was amazed at what I saw, it has me thinking.....

Reactions: Squonk_me

Squonk_me

cut and paste has its consequences
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2015
Dry and windy
Yep, I have a library card. Although it now resembles a credit/debit card with a magnetic strip. But the functions that I use it for are offered by the library ,,, online. :thumbs:

Reactions: SlickWilly

TruckerMSA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2014
Elizabethtown, Kentucky, United States
Like the bottle door on the squonk, for removal you squeeze the door to disconnect it,,, in-ward.

321330-cc50629df69ae2cdeb9e4302d082ed64.jpg
This one looks like it will be a "pry apart" type of unit. OR,, I'm all confused and should just keep quiet and watch the really smart people here do miracles. :thumb:
It's not a sqonker lol

Sent from The Truck O Shop

Reactions: Squonk_me

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
I've been buying taps in sets only, tapered, plug and bottom taps. I do have an advantage though, the biggest thing I've bought, so far is a 4-40, LOL. I even made a flush bottom tap by grinding a bottom tap down so I can tap all the way to the bottom of a hole. That was needed for "blind" holes in the battery door to hold the piece together. In the photo I posted you can't see it but there are a total of nine blind holes on the inside of that door panel holding all the pieces I needed to make it work the way I wanted it to.

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
NY
I've been buying taps in sets only, tapered, plug and bottom taps. I do have an advantage though, the biggest thing I've bought, so far is a 4-40, LOL. I even made a flush bottom tap by grinding a bottom tap down so I can tap all the way to the bottom of a hole. That was needed for "blind" holes in the battery door to hold the piece together. In the photo I posted you can't see it but there are a total of nine blind holes on the inside of that door panel holding all the pieces I needed to make it work the way I wanted it to.

I have a bunch of taps, some I bought when I worked as a mechanic and a bunch my father had when he was a tool and die maker. Even with all those I still have times when I need to buy a tap I don't have, like for these 510's. Last taps I had to buy were when I wanted to drill and tap my own barrel for a scope mount, those screws aren't used for much else other then for guns. I had a gun smith buddy tell me the only place I would find them is from a place that sells gun smithing supplies. Being sure he was wrong I sent hours and a lot of money on gas traveling city to city only to find out he was right, ended up ordering them by phone from Brownell's, that was before the internet LoL. http://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=taps&ksubmit=y

ETA: It's kind of sad when I think, my grand kids don't know what it was like before private phone lines, cable TV, home computers, the internet, wireless access, cell phones, GPS. Makes me feel really old too. Last night I watched McCales Navy, Rat Patrol and Combat on youtube (in square B&W :)), it was nice to see these old shows there. In one way I felt aged but it also took me back to simpler, fun times. Oops, there I go again.... :offtopic:

Last edited:

Squonk_me

cut and paste has its consequences
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2015
Dry and windy
It's not a sqonker lol

Fully understanding that it is not a squonker, my reference was to "how" it connected. The "reverse the catch mechanism" comment was only in an attempt to clarify what I was thinking by comparing it to the squonk door. The door is squeezed and the catch is released. On the drawing it would seem that the cover/door would need to be "pried" off.

I apologize if my comment seemed like I was running the design down, it was not meant as such. As stated in that post it was merely a "suggestion", and also mentioned that I might not be seeing the design correctly. Let me add pictures in an attempt to better explain my thought.

mini-20150816_111821.jpg

mini-20150816_111859.jpg

No more comments from this section of the peanut gallery, I'll just look and learn.

Reactions: Kaana

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
WIllie, my Mom worked at the County Library, big time library back then, when I was in grade school. I spent many, many, days there in the Reference Room just reading. Then I had the advantage of being able to get any book and be able to take it home, even the reference books. I miss that in a way although the internet is a lot handier. There is something lost not having a book in my hands and taking notes rather than staring at a screen instead, though.

I watched those show ON a rectangular B&W on their first run, LOL.

Reactions: SlickWilly

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
WIllie, my Mom worked at the County Library, big time library back then, when I was in grade school. I spent many, many, days there in the Reference Room just reading. Then I had the advantage of being able to get any book and be able to take it home, even the reference books. I miss that in a way although the internet is a lot handier. There is something lost not having a book in my hands and taking notes rather than staring at a screen instead, though.

I watched those show ON a rectangular B&W on their first run, LOL.
Willllllburrrrrrrrr.....

Sent from phone.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Heck, Wiiiiilllllbbbbuuuuurrrrr was a Johnny come lately. More like "kemosabe".

Got some more progress done on the low tank. It's cut down to the proper overall height now and a test fit show the battery fits in perfectly. No room for a button top battery though. The chip and switch boards are installed, wired and tested. The first guide rail is installed and waiting for the JB weld to harden. With a little luck I'll be vaping on it by next weekend.

I also JB'd the magnets on the CNC machined Hammond box. Now, I'm vacillating on the bullet connectors or using something different for that. Decisions, decisions.....

TruckerMSA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2014
Elizabethtown, Kentucky, United States
Fully understanding that it is not a squonker, my reference was to "how" it connected. The "reverse the catch mechanism" comment was only in an attempt to clarify what I was thinking by comparing it to the squonk door. The door is squeezed and the catch is released. On the drawing it would seem that the cover/door would need to be "pried" off.

I apologize if my comment seemed like I was running the design down, it was not meant as such. As stated in that post it was merely a "suggestion", and also mentioned that I might not be seeing the design correctly. Let me add pictures in an attempt to better explain my thought.

View attachment 481258

View attachment 481259

No more comments from this section of the peanut gallery, I'll just look and learn.
no worries. What say you Blueridgedog? He does have a valid point[emoji12]

Sent from The Truck O Shop

Vince159

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2012
Citrus Heights, CA USA
Hey, quick question, I finally got my 200 up and running, and my battery (turnigy 1000) is like dead dead. The mod comes on when I hook up usb to charge, when I push the fire button without being connected to usb, it comes on while button is pushed only. Does this sound normal? or did it happen to anyone? Lots of cool mods out there btw.

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
NY
Hey, quick question, I finally got my 200 up and running, and my battery (turnigy 1000) is like dead dead. The mod comes on when I hook up usb to charge, when I push the fire button without being connected to usb, it comes on while button is pushed only. Does this sound normal? or did it happen to anyone? Lots of cool mods out there btw.

If it comes on "without being connected to usb" then the battery can't be dead, are you sure it's not in stealth mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread