Status
Not open for further replies.

fishwater

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2015
New Hampshire
Thanks to all for the idea's & recommendation of Mamu mods I finished my SteamCrave dna 200 Squonker. Special thanks to the squonking man @Subohmies for paving the way on this mod, it's my first mod & I couldn't be happier with the end result!
20160411_091637-1200x1617.jpg

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
FIGHT THIS!!!!!
Sent letters to both my Senators................clerks:facepalm:

BTW, as far as I can tell "PHMSA-2015-0165 Hazardous Materials: Carriage of Battery-Powered Electronic Smoking Devices in Passenger Baggage" which this amendment is aimed at and the language of the proposed amendment would not preclude carry on person or your 1 personal item (i.e. purse, murse, or laptop etc). Still bad legislation but seems workable around without having to get 510 flashlight heads if for some unforeseen reason it got any momentum.

PHMSA-2015-0165 (which restricts in checked baggage) was due to stupid people :( putting vaporizers that were fully functional and packed such that they ended up continuously firing in checked baggage, one of which burned a 4" hole in the baggage. "These incidents have shown that e-cigarettes can overheat and cause fires when the heating element is accidentally activated or turned on. This danger may be exacerbated by the growing trend of users modifying and rebuilding their reusable e-cigarette devices and swapping components, which may include the use of batteries, heating elements, and electronic components not original to the manufactured e-cigarette."

Last edited:

aldenf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2014
NYC, NJ, USA
Sent letters to both my Senators................cleaks:facepalm:

BTW, as far as I can tell "PHMSA-2015-0165 Hazardous Materials: Carriage of Battery-Powered Electronic Smoking Devices in Passenger Baggage" which this amendment is aimed at and the language of the proposed amendment would not preclude carry on person or your 1 personal item (i.e. purse, murse, or laptop etc). Still bad legislation but seems workable around without having to get 510 flashlight heads if for some unforeseen reason it got any momentum.

PHMSA-2015-0165 (which restricts in checked baggage) was due to stupid people :( putting vaporizers that were fully functional and packed such that they ended up continuously firing in checked baggage, one of which burned a 4" hole in the baggage. "These incidents have shown that e-cigarettes can overheat and cause fires when the heating element is accidentally activated or turned on. This danger may be exacerbated by the growing trend of users modifying and rebuilding their reusable e-cigarette devices and swapping components, which may include the use of batteries, heating elements, and electronic components not original to the manufactured e-cigarette."

Agreed. These regulations have come about because of stupidity. "We" have no one to blame but "ourselves". When the entire vaping industry was first put under the microscope, we needed to make sure we were beyond reproach. That didn't happen. We needed to be well-received by the general public. Braggarts and blowhards failed that. We needed to grow up and take responsibility for our own safety and of those around us. Too many idiots failed at that too. Now we face debilitating regulations in order to protect those idiots (and those around them) from themselves. Once again, the many lose for the failures of a few. Sad...

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
Given the "creativity" of idiots, we'll never get there either.
Yeah, I know, but things "could" be a lot safer than they are. Particularly on the battery front which is where most of the sensational headlines come from.

Then again, in the navy we used to have a saying: "There is NOTHING made by man that is Sailor proof".....

xpen

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2012
Italy
Agreed. These regulations have come about because of stupidity. (...)
I disagree.. they simply leverage stupidity for their own agenda.
What about batteries on fire in phones and PC's then? Are they so eager to ban those from flights as well? Nope, not at all.

Oh, by the way: that nice hakko cutter sells on Amazon Italy for 45+ euros (50+ bucks) :shock:
Amazon.it: hakko wire cutter chp-170
Wrong country.. sigh

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
My friend that recommended them does cell tower work, antennas, power systems and links, as well as micro electronics work and he swears by them. I was going to order them but wanted a pair faster than shipping from Europe would provide. I hope you like them!

aldenf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2014
NYC, NJ, USA
I disagree.. they simply leverage stupidity for their own agenda.
What about batteries on fire in phones and PC's then? Are they so eager to ban those from flights as well? Nope, not at all.

:offtopic:

I agree completely. However, I've never read/heard of a laptop or cell phone battery burning a hole through luggage in the hold of a commercial airliner. That "mishap" had the potential to be disastrous.

We knew/know there were/are people in powerful positions who want to bend us over. Of that there is no doubt. We still have no industry standards, or methods of best practice. While we've been pretty good at advising each other on ECF, look at the arguments that still occur here. Many vapers never enter this forum looking for counsel. The front line of education/defense has always been the point of sale. There have been FAR too many vendors (b&m and web) more concerned with making a buck than supporting the community. TBH, I'm surprised that no one has died yet from some mishap.

As soon as it became clear that we had attracted the attention of "the powers that be", major manufacturers (hardware & liquid) and retailers needed to get together and self-regulate. For the 2 1/2 years that I've been vaping, it seems that "we've" been practically asking for outside regulation. Foreign manufacturers have flooded the market with sketchy devices. Five Pawns proved that even top-tiered providers can't be trusted. We're still using the 510 for our PVs. Evolv has certainly had their fair share of problems. Only ProVape has shown any real attempt at leadership, which only the Provarinati paid any real attention too. I never heard large groups of vapers pushing for leadership and self-regulation.

Over the course of my career, I have sat on three bloviating professional councils/committees, responsible for self-regulation and determining best practices. It was quite painful. Now, with vaping, I've seen the exact opposite. If I had to tell the truth, I prefer the former to the latter. There is still no vaping industry association. Consumers have never insisted that our e-liquid providers join the one attempt at self-regulation, the AEMSA (which still has only 22 members out of how many e-liquid companies?!?). We have had our fun in the vaping wild west. Unfortunately, because of the community's failure to behave responsibly, we are now facing ridiculous attempts at overburdening regulations. I can't help but believe that we must accept at least partial blame for our current situation.

Just my 2¢... Sorry, Mike for going WAY off topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread