Minimum tools to get started?

Status
Not open for further replies.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
I ordered these (as they are usually 20$ for one, fasttech just put them out for 6.82$ for all three) as well. When they show up in a month they might make coiling a little easier :) Pretty cool, check out the Rip Tripper review of them.

$6.82 Kuro Koiler Wire Coiling Tool (3-Piece Set) - CW-20 + CW-25 + CW-30 at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Actually, I saw them today, and skipped putting those on my "Wish list" and put them right into my cart instead!

Haven't hit the "buy" button yet, because I really have to throttle myself when it comes to FT. Got a package today from them and have 2 more packages in the mail (or perhaps "on the boat").

Those really do look very good! Kind of like "Wire-wrappers" but for coils. (I actually have some aluminum rod stock in my lathe at the moment that I am halfway through machining to do something very similar, but I may not bother. The darned aluminum rod cost more than this set!!!!!)

And FT shipping hasn't been that bad these days (although I don't think these are going to be in stock for another week?) Usually about 2 weeks to get here, it just feels like months!

The only thing I am a bit curious about with these is that it seems the screws force a (big) gap between the two flat surfaces. With wire-wrap, the two surfaces meet flush, and as you wind the coil, each layer pushes them apart a bit (so the new turn can fit over the old turn). Makes a very tight coil. Hope these do the same!

ETA: Fattlestar, you (I think I can say suck here?)! Watched the Rip Trippers video, and had to buy them!

Now that I see how they actually work, this is perfect! Looks like it's better even than the "artistic wire coiling gizmo (which I have, and was going to recommend to you EXCEPT THAT YOU SAID YOU DIDN'T WANT TO SPEND MUCH MONEY!!!!!!) Think you made the better choice, by a long shot, though!

Gotta love fasttech (although the stuff I got today included one item that was the first I've been extremely disappointed in!)

Last edited:

Fattlestar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Ohio, USA
I did see them a week or two ago in another review, but at 20$ each they were in that "out of my budget" range - but when they popped up on fasttech for 7$, that's right in my wheelhouse this month.

This is my first order from fasttech though. I think I chose the wrong shipping method (USPS) so I may have to wait a while longer.

I think these Kuro things are excellent though, my shaky hands and bad eyes will probably really benefit from them. I'll have the rest of my stuff way before those show up though, so I'll be practicing on a screwdriver either way for a little while.

I wonder if they will work OK with 30 gauge though, seems like they are rated only for up to 28. Not a big deal, I'll just order more of the 28 next month.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Having looked at them, I'm almost positive they'll work just fine with 30ga. (All three of them)

I doubt you chose the wrong shipping method. I usually go with the free option they suggest, which is usually:
USPS Express ePacket via China Post

If you order liquids or batteries, this may not be an option, but for regular stuff, it's tending to arrive here about 2 weeks after it ships. These won't ship for another week (unless we get lucky, which does happen!)

ETA: Shaky hands and bad eyes - been there, do that. The most important thing, IMHO when doing any rebuilding is the ability to see what you're doing, naturally. The 4.0 reading glasses work well for me, but if you can't REALLY see what you're doing, get a good magnifier!!! (And bright lighting) Something you can wear, like glasses. (not a loupe or something like that!) They make an extraordinary difference not only in winding coils, but also in mounting them and getting them setup right!!!

Last edited:

quinngia

Moved On
Sep 8, 2014
New York
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

Fattlestar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Ohio, USA
Having looked at them, I'm almost positive they'll work just fine with 30ga. (All three of them)

I doubt you chose the wrong shipping method. I usually go with the free option they suggest, which is usually:
USPS Express ePacket via China Post

If you order liquids or batteries, this may not be an option, but for regular stuff, it's tending to arrive here about 2 weeks after it ships. These won't ship for another week (unless we get lucky, which does happen!)

ETA: Shaky hands and bad eyes - been there, do that. The most important thing, IMHO when doing any rebuilding is the ability to see what you're doing, naturally. The 4.0 reading glasses work well for me, but if you can't REALLY see what you're doing, get a good magnifier!!! (And bright lighting) Something you can wear, like glasses. (not a loupe or something like that!) They make an extraordinary difference not only in winding coils, but also in mounting them and getting them setup right!!!

I have these coming, was the first thing I made sure to get!
SE MH1047L Illuminated Multipower LED Binohead Magnifier - Magnifying Glass - Amazon.com

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA

Fattlestar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Ohio, USA
Nice try! But you're NOT going to get me to buy something else tonight!!! (Maybe tomorrow).

I have to admit though, that the new breed of "magnifier with built-in LED illumination" is great! Have one (magnifying-glass style) that I use all the time (with or without the reading glasses).

If you think that visor would help you too, it's a pretty good buy I think. I only have some 2x reading glasses so I really needed to find something like that. I purchased from Ebay instead of Amazon because of a shipping difference. I agree though, the built in LED stuff is incredibly helpful now. I think I saw a jeweler's loop (40x) with an LED on it for 3$ which I was tempted to get as well.

All in all it looks like I'm hovering inside my budget. Here is the current tally, in case anyone else was looking for the "cheapest in" to rebuilding.

RDA's - Need one of these or an RTA to get started, (or some old stock heads I guess) but I found two cheap ones that are well reviewed.
IGO-L - 7.49$
IGO-W4 - 5.49$

Tools
20' Rayon - 3.99$
25' 30g Kanthal - 3.49$
Ohm/Volt Meter - 12.49$ (also comes with 3' of 28g and six organic cotton balls)
Precision Screwdriver Set - 3.99$
Magnifier Visor - 8.49$
Kuro Koiler set of 3 - 6.82$
Nail Clippers - Found
Steel Tweezers - Found
Needlenose Pliers - Found
Scissors - Found

Without the RDA's that comes out to around 40$, and I believe that's doable at any given time by price hunting a little, and none of my found items would be expensive to get (less than 4$ each likely, and more likely to find all four for 10$ or less). Currently I think I'm only missing an Allen key, which I may need for the Kuro Koilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread