The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Mistake made help

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by Mike43, Nov 10, 2018 at 8:32 PM.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Mike43

Mike43 New Member

Saturday
    Hi everyone,
    I'm fairly new to vaping having tried a pen style e-cig about 12 months ago in my quest to quit smoking, unfortunately it was a terrible experience as the pen kept leaking and the tobacco flavour liquid was awful, in my haste to try again i bought a mod box (innokin proton) as i was wanting to still have the nicotine hit that I needed but without the clouds of smoke, but still have that option if I wanted, stupidly i thought it was the wattage that created the smoke, so my question is- can i change the tank so that i don't have the clouds and what liquid should i try that will still give me the nicotine hit that I need. I roll my own cigs and smoke around 20+ a day. Any help gratefully received.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I don't know what tank you are using (you didn't specify that), but you can use any tank on the proton mod.

Since you mentioned you are "more for nicotine hit than clouds of smoke" (VAPOR), its sounds like you currently have a sub-ohm, direct to lung tank which are for clouds.

I suggest trying a non-subohm, mouth to lung tank like the popular Innokin Zenith tank.

You also didn't mention the nic strength you are currently using. Nicotine strength, based upon the number of cigarettes that you smoke a day:

1/2 pack per day or less = 6 mg nicotine
    1 ppd = 12 mg
    1 1/2 ppd = 18 mg
    2 ppd = 24 mg​

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Beamslider

Beamslider Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 29, 2017
    San Francisco
    You can get almost any DTL or MTL tank out there and use it on that. So your options are wide open.

Try 6 MG nic juice first you can go up or down later.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Letitia

Letitia Therion/Nano Junkie ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    I would suggest the Innokin Zenith tank and 12mg juice.

Welcome to ECF Mike.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Mike43

Mike43 New Member

Saturday
    Sorry the tank is the scion II with the scion plexus coil

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Mike43

Mike43 New Member

Saturday
    Thanks for your quick replies everyone

• Like Like x 2
  7. dustmite

dustmite Full Member

Oct 23, 2018
    I'm using the Zenith tank with nic salt juices. Been cigarette free for over a week with it!

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    As I thought, that is a sub-ohm, direct to lung tank.

Recommended Wattage:
    • 60-100 watts (0.15 Ohm)
    You'll probably do better with non-sub-ohm, MTL tank like the Innokin Zenith. It will not require a lot of watts, probably something like 10 - 20 watts.

Zenith 0.8 ohm Replacement Coils

• Traditional Vape Experience
    • Stainless Steel Frame
    • 100% Organic Japanese Cotton
    • Heating Element: Kanthal
    • Resistance: 0.8 ohm
    • Wattage Range: 15 - 18 Watts
    • Sold as Pack of 5
    Zenith 1.6 ohm Replacement Coils

• Smooth Hits
    • Mouth-to-Lung Coil
    • 100% Organic Japanese Cotton
    • Heating Element: Kanthal
    • Resistance: 1.6 ohm
    • Wattage Range: 10 - 14 Watts
    • Sold as Pack of 5

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    The zenith is great and yes you can just by the tank and put it on the proton (or whatever MTL tank you end up with, you will just have the misfortune of unusually lengthy battery life since you will be turning down the wattage.

I have a Proton and it's a fantastic, ergonomic and well built mod. I put a MTL tank on mine.

You are halfway there already.

Anna

• Like Like x 2
  10. asmcriminal

asmcriminal Senior Member ECF Veteran

Nov 15, 2010
    cali
    You can use many tanks on the Proton. Vape(not smoke) is kind of related to wattage. It's a bit more complicated than that but in most cases, if you turn down the wattage you do produce less vapor.

So the higher resistance the coil the less vapor(in most cases). You can build some crazy coils that are higher resistance and produce a lot of vapor but that's out of the scope of this discussion.

SO for you, the key factor would be the ohms/resistance) of the coil. The higher the resistance the fewer watts you need. Watts and resistance(ohms) are inversely proportional. Meaning if one goes up the other goes down. But the resistance is constant(it's the coil). So once again, the lower the resistance of the coil the more watts you will need to power it.

The most common coil resistance for what you're looking for is about 1.0 or above. So 1.2, 1.5, 1.8 ohms. These have more of a cigarette type of vapor production. A K3 tank might be what you're looking for. I have tried one and it works pretty well. If you do get a new tank then turn down the watts at first like down 5 watts. See how you like it and slowly turn it up. You should not go above 13 watts for a coil like that.

Also, with the tank you have right now, you can try to turn down the wattage and close down the air flow. That would help.

• Like Like x 1
  11. BrotherBob

BrotherBob ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Welcome and glad you joined.
    I think you have your answers, could keep in mind:
    Resistance is Futile - Vapor Connection LLC | Pittsburgh's Premiere Vapor Shop & Lounge
    What Ohms should I choose?
    Efficiency. Thinner wire and higher resistance VS thick wire and lower resistance
    Higher Resistance, Lower Wattage vs Lower Resistance, Higher Wattage
    The Vaper`s Guide to Flavour Chasing: 10 Tips To Maximise Flavour

• Useful Useful x 1