• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

misunderstanding e-cig's report

Status
Not open for further replies.

VIVAP2

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2011
Eastern Canada
As I was trying to sign up this welfare family to residential services, a visitor was commenting on how people are stupid spending so much money at the local fairground attraction. The welfare's daughter added she works at a corner store and is pushing the sales of e-cigs "knowing" this is not good because this technology is emmitting water vapor. She claimed it will cause water on lungs, while she was smoking a "real" cigarette...

They haven't seen me vaping or anything. That came out of the blue. Though I said no, this information is wrong, I didn't say much more. After the fact, I think I should have said:

Hmmm, What should have I said?

Last edited:

WolfeReign

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2011
Wolfe Paradise
well first off the daughter is associating e-cigs/pv/apv with fair grounds which = gimmic. you could have said "No it is not a gimmic as i use them, and it is scientifically proven......." but that would have been false as there have been no long term effect studies done.

From a n00b's view point, she could be basing her thoughts on feed back she has gotten from customers, friends or families who have bought them and failed. Lets face it the ones sold in stores are cheap, and have 0 nicotine correct?

Could have told her "No they aren't and there is this web site i heard about called ECF...."

What's done is done, no need to dwell on it really. As for the Family i hope they quickly over come their shortfalls.

Smile n' shine

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2012
Canada
In a situation like that...it's hard to know what to say. Personally, I would have asked where she heard it and then challenged the source of her 'knowledge'. Or just shrug & walk away. ;) Sometimes it can be pointless to try to educate.

I like Constantine's idea of bringing up ECF, then if someone is really interested they'll take the time to find quality info.

OnnaB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
GA
You just can't fix....erm....nevermind....lol.
Unfortunately, if she couldn't form her own thoughts about what "damage" water vapor can do, ie: showers, humidifiers, hot water from the tap, etc....then I'm guessing bringing up ECF and hoping she will educate herself would be a bit much to ask. Shake your head, shrug, walk away...

WolfeReign

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2011
Wolfe Paradise
Lets say finally she is dumber then a sac of hammers and does not know anything and needs to make sure she does not pollute the gene pool.....

Now on the same token for everyone that is on ECF, which has a population greater then Calgary Alberta, can you honestly say that each and everyone one of us woke up one day and said gee, today is the day i am going to quiet smoking....hey i am going to use a e-cigarette, and i know ECF is out there, and the e-cig's i see in the corner store are utter crap

It may seem like it is so easy to figure out, but you have to remember we had to all start somewhere and at some point. you cannot tell me that each and every ECF member had someone tell them in person everything they wanted to know, and that each and every person thought about e-cigarettes as not being a gimmick when they first tried......

If so, then what is the point of trying to get the world out there about it? after all only the smart people who know better with little to no knowledge deserve to be vapers right?

Concat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Well the first thing to correct her on is that it's not water vapor. After having correcting her on something so rudimentary, I wouldn't even bother trying to explain to her what PG is. I mean, seriously, how is water vapor gonna damage your lungs? I'd just tell her it's the exact same thing as a fog machine. Something which has been in use for decades, and they even use it in hospital air conditioning units.

Maybe I'd finally say that after switching a year ago, my lungs feel amazing and I feel healthier.

slojas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2012
Saskatoon
I have met several smokers who think that vaping is more dangerous than smoking, nothing i say will convince them otherwise, also met several people who think its a cheap gimmick and totally ineffective, again their opinion is formed and nothing I say will change it.
Knowledge, new things, wisdom- terrible things for some people.

On a better note, I did some hardcore back and forth sprints Saturday, it was shocking, when I was expecting to hit the energy/resperatory limit nothing happed I just kept going sprinting like a teenager, 30 seconds turned to 3 minutes with no problems. I was a little winded at the end but I wasn't hacking up lung tissue or vomiting, which would have been the previous result of such an endevour, recovery was much faster too.

cactusgirl

Sage Tribal Queen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2011
Dartmouth, NS
On a better note, I did some hardcore back and forth sprints Saturday, it was shocking, when I was expecting to hit the energy/resperatory limit nothing happed I just kept going sprinting like a teenager, 30 seconds turned to 3 minutes with no problems. I was a little winded at the end but I wasn't hacking up lung tissue or vomiting, which would have been the previous result of such an endevour, recovery was much faster too.

I had nearly the same experience this weekend. Was out for a walk with two of my daughters on Sunday evening when my 13 yo suggested that we have a sprint style race, lol. Other than fumbling at the start (thus giving them a headstart ~it's been far too many years since I participated in track), I was just milliseconds behind my 13yo at the finish. I felt the burn in my thighs as opposed to my lungs, hahaha.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Tobacco is alluring and most who smoke really don't want to quit, but they know it's bad for health. We make all sorts of excuses why the alternatives aren't going to work. We want to keep on doing what we like, so we find something wrong with the alternative.

While I think not inhaling anything but air is much better in the long run, vaping is pretty much a benign activity, IMO. It's certainly a better way to get your nicotine than inhaling the smoke from burning leaves in a paper wrapper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread