Mixing with saltnic. Is that even possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetclay

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
UAE
Hi all,
A veteran here who fell off the wagon 3 or 4 years ago and trying to hop back and kick the stinky habit for good. Back then anything higher than 3 mg would make me cough nonstop while anything less than 18-24 will not stop the cravings. This was probably the reason I went back to smoking. Few weeks ago bought a 3% Juul out of curiosity and I must say I liked the liquid but hated the device. I'm a MTL and my go to setup is a nautilus on istick 50. Bet only few still use these lol.

I feel saltnic might have been the missing piece for me and would like my hand at DIY with saltnic. 30mg would probably be too high for a nautilus 1.8ohm at 10 watts, so probably will start at 12mg and go from there.

My question: Can you even use nicsalt base for DIY? It seems people are doing it and vendors are selling the base for diy. But my understanding is that nic salts are acidic and when diluted the pH will change and part of the nicotine will change back to freebase and defeat the purpose of using saltnic. At pH 7-8 99% is frrebase, at pH 3-4 99% salt, at 5-6 probably 50:50

Is there anything I'm missing here?

Reactions: stols001

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Yes you can use it for DIY juice. Your device can't tell the difference between freebase nic and salt nic and the mixing process is the same. The concentration labeled on the bottle is relative the the amount of freebase used to make it, and thus they are interchangeable in equal concentrations.

Your chemistry is way off. Salt nic is close to neutral and freebase is alkaline. pH is largely unaffected by dilution in any case and dissociation is not a factor that you need to consider.

30mg is not unreasonable for a 10W device. Juul runs at about 8W and uses 30mg or 50mg liquid.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

My question: Can you even use nicsalt base for DIY? ...

Absolutely.

Nicotine Salts and Regular Nicotine can be used Interchangeably in a DIY Recipe.

As for Coughing, many find that Lowering the PG in your PG|VG Ratio can help.

wetclay

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
UAE
Absolutely.

Nicotine Salts and Regular Nicotine can be used Interchangeably in a DIY Recipe.

As for Coughing, many find that Lowering the PG in your PG|VG Ratio can help.

I tried playing with VG/PG. Didn't make a difference. Higher nic is what makes me cough. Problem is I need higher nic for a satisfying vape. That's why I thought saltnic might be the answer.

You can Mix it!!!!!
I'm just wondering if diluting salt nic will change the proportion of salts and freebase and negate the purpose of using saltnic to start with.
Anybody checked the PH of saltnic pre and post dilution?

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I mostly vape 6 mg freebase dl. But I also mix 25 mg/ml salts for smaller mtl devices. I use the same recipe, except higher pg for the higher ohm devices.

I find there isn’t much difference in throat hit between the two.

For the record when I say mtl devices, I’m using a Flow pod, an old K1 tank with 1.2 ohm coil on a 30w istick @ 10 watts, and a couple AIOs for salt juice.

Try a small test batch of 30 mg and see how it goes.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I used nic salts for all my mixing purposes at 19 mg/ml occasionally higher.

My respiratory system was just shot when I got here. I am using freebase now.

I will say, I did have a "combination" mix and I didn't notice a huge difference in throat hit. I finished off one liter of nic salts, and then added freebase. It was fine, but I have also vaped straight freebase at that percentage by now.

I have NO idea whether combining the two cancels one out, as far as Ph, I don't think anyone has done that experiment either. I would say.... Perhaps get a small bottle of nic salts and do your own experiments? It could well also depend on WHAT substance (muraic, benzoic, citric) acid was use to make the nic salt in the first place.

I don't think I've ever read about someone adding nic salts to up nic and keeping some freebase in the mix having issues. I wish I had paid closer attention now, but I don't remember undue harshness and maybe there was a TINY bit more kick with the combined nicotine base, but IDK.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread