Not open for further replies.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Hi
Not so sure on what you are trying to do here. Are you buying ready made ejuices?
Mixing such large volumes isnt always the best idea. Have a look around the diy forum and see hows its done. You may be happier with what you mix.
DIY E-Liquid

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
If your 120ml bottles are just pg/vg and nicotine then it’s fine. But when trying to make a new flavor mix 10ml at most so if you hate it the loss is very little. Also I don’t see any advantage to mixing your concentrates ahead of time by themselves. Just add the flavor you want to your base in a tiny bottle. If you love it make a big bottle then, if you hate it, let it sit for weeks in case a steep make it better. If it don’t then dump it. I’ve never had a juice I hated turn good after a steep but it doesn’t hurt to wait before dumping just in case.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I’ve never had a juice I hated turn good after a steep but it doesn’t hurt to wait before dumping just in case.
I have. 2 or 3, not many tho. 1 was coconut extra. It requires a steep. Cant remember the others off hand. But the point is it does happen.
:)

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I'm just starting with DIY (in fact I'm finally getting my nicotine tomorrow... already have everything else) I would highly suggest doing each flavor (even if you plan on combining them into a recipe) one at a time in very small batches. Don't laugh, but I've been saving little "mini-bar" plastic bottles for this. I'm only doing 5 ml each. This way you can get to know each one, but mostly judge how strong each on is (to help with the final ratios for a recipe) You only have to do this once for each flavor... take notes! Maybe you have a graham cracker flavor that might be used in different ways... do you want to guess how much to use in a complex combination without a preview?
P.S. Shouldn't this be in the DIY forum?

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
I have. 2 or 3, not many tho. 1 was coconut extra. It requires a steep. Cant remember the others off hand. But the point is it does happen.
I personally haven't found a cream or vanilla I like without a steep. Gets rid of a perfume like quality.

As for how I mix, if I'm following a recipe, I mix flavors, add nic, pour into bottle, then wash the beaker with the VG, pour that into the bottle, then half the PG at a time.

Right now though, I'm doing single flavor testing, so I'm doing exactly what was described in the OP,, but only 10-30mL, and mixing 2-3 together in an rda to see if I like the result.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Many flavors act strange when combined (some call it "muting") then it's hard to tell where you went wrong (I've been doing lots of homework) In such tiny batches, I measure VG and PG (in my case the nicotine is in the PG) and mix a larger batch of this, then use a syringe (with no needle) to measure the 5ml for each bottle, then add drops of flavor concentrate) Problem with drops is they can range from 20 to 40 per ml... my flavor bottles produce very small drops (like 40/ml) eye dropper drops are much bigger. When you finally mix larger batches, don't use drops!

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I’ve had flavors go from meh to good with a steep. I’ve just never had one that was terrible get delicious from a steep. Your point is well taken though. Especially since even though I’ve never had it happen I don’t give up on a flavor until it’s been steeped. I wasn’t practicing what I was preaching there so thanks for smacking some sense into me. :blink:

DIY Apprentice

Jul 26, 2019
Ireland
So many to reply to at once haha.. i have made a couple of bottles already and they have turned out fine. However due to the fact i don't like fruit or almost anything. So i have really narrowed down what i want. I am restricted to under 10 different flavours that i would use but i would be mixing a select of those together. I couldn't be doing 10ml bottles it drives me mad unless i have the 120ml done. Haha don't ask why.. haha. My question isn't due to me having failed or anything it just my thought would be mixing each standalone flavour instead of direct concentrate would it not give more room for trial. And if you find the mix of the 2 that really hit it off. You can start doing your division to work out how much concentrate to mix in the one bottle for next time. So i am thinking about perfection

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I personally haven't found a cream or vanilla I like without a steep. Gets rid of a perfume like quality.

As for how I mix, if I'm following a recipe, I mix flavors, add nic, pour into bottle, then wash the beaker with the VG, pour that into the bottle, then half the PG at a time.

Right now though, I'm doing single flavor testing, so I'm doing exactly what was described in the OP,, but only 10-30mL, and mixing 2-3 together in an RDA to see if I like the result.
I agree that creamy/ dessert flavors usually do require long steeps. While I like some of that type of vape its not my first choice. Not bc of time required but i just find I am not all that fond of them in general.

Last edited:

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I’ve had flavors go from meh to good with a steep. I’ve just never had one that was terrible get delicious from a steep. Your point is well taken though. Especially since even though I’ve never had it happen I don’t give up on a flavor until it’s been steeped. I wasn’t practicing what I was preaching there so thanks for smacking some sense into me. :blink:
Lol. Sry was not my intent to smack you. But you are mostly right....if you just dont like a flavor for whatever reason no amount of time will change that.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
So many to reply to at once haha.. i have made a couple of bottles already and they have turned out fine. However due to the fact i don't like fruit or almost anything. So i have really narrowed down what i want. I am restricted to under 10 different flavours that i would use but i would be mixing a select of those together. I couldn't be doing 10ml bottles it drives me mad unless i have the 120ml done. Haha don't ask why.. haha. My question isn't due to me having failed or anything it just my thought would be mixing each standalone flavour instead of direct concentrate would it not give more room for trial. And if you find the mix of the 2 that really hit it off. You can start doing your division to work out how much concentrate to mix in the one bottle for next time. So i am thinking about perfection
In theory this does work for some flavors, however i often find that layering of at least 2 different brands of the same flavor gives a fuller taste of what we expect.
The type of mixing you are looking to do does not lend itself much leeway. I think you may be limiting your choices way too much. Over time, our ability to taste changes, the longer we have been away from cigarettes the more fine tuned our pallett becomes.

Just my 2 pennies.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Lol. Sry was not my intent to smack you. But you are mostly right....if you just dont like a flavor for whatever reason no amount of time will change that.
No need to apologize. I need some sense knocked into me from time to time and I appreciate it. The facts don’t care about my feelings, and my feelings like to get the facts straight. Seriously though you made a good point and we are trying to give the best advice here so corrections are always appreciated by me. Sometimes I think something but when I write it down my intended message isn’t conveyed so I can use any and all help I can get.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Just from my experience I have better results from mixing the flavors together and letting them steep as a brew than mixing individually and then combining. There are exceptions of course, such as using a custard or cheesecake base to add other flavors to in smaller batches.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
If you have already got bottles made up that you like then yes you can mix then together. I've even added some together in the tank prior to vaping to get a basic idea. It aint exactly precision though but can give you a clue as to where your going.
I' do that all the time... quick mix in the tank for a quick preview.
If you really want to mix large batches (even single flavors) and have plenty of supplies (it doesn't cost much anyway) then go for it. Letitia makes good point about steeping after mixing flavors... they need to "work together" for awhile. I was talking about trying single flavors without much steeping time.

• Useful
Reactions: Letitia

DIY Apprentice

Jul 26, 2019
Ireland
I have the idea of how to do it from both previous threads on here and having a bit of a read up. The calculating is the easy part for me but it just picking a method of doing standalone or mix all together at once. I have been vaping the last 6 years but also smoking till the last month and found only like brown sugar cinnamon, brulee. Are the ones i like. But mostly use tobacco to represent real smoking.

Reactions: Letitia

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I have the idea of how to do it from both previous threads on here and having a bit of a read up. The calculating is the easy part for me but it just picking a method of doing standalone or mix all together at once. I have been vaping the last 6 years but also smoking till the last month and found only like brown sugar cinnamon, brulee. Are the ones i like. But mostly use tobacco to represent real smoking.
Some mix their tobacco by the liter and just pull off 30ml at a time to add other flavors.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread