Mod a Janty Stick... suggestions/help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steven.rn

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2009
Ohio
Posted this thought in the Janty forum the other day; I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on it that might be helpful

copied text*****************************************************
Here's a million dollar Idea freebie for Janty
Add a switch to the Janty stick that bypasses the battery and sends the 5 volts from the Stick's passthrough to the atomizer. It would be a trivial matter to put a two position switch on the side of the stick that position 1, vapes normally and charges the battery, and in position 2, just sends the +5 through to the atomizer.

You'd have something close to equivalency in function to the puresmoker passthrough (god knows all the 510 passthroughs from china suck canal water), a multi-voltage vaping option, and a usb rechargeable sweet 3.7 volt carry around vaping device all in one.

Heck, I think I could even pull this off in my own garage with a cheap Rat Shack slide switch and a bit of wire. With Janty and the manufacturers doing the stick, I can't imagine it would cost more than a few cents a unit, and would nearly add 50% of the current cost of the stick V2 in perceived value, as far as I'm concerned.

3.7 volt JStick performance.... 5 volt option... cheap... existing technology already there... this one would be a winner, hands down. I'd drag a Kensington or other power pack around in the car for those long trips and 5 volt vaping, and vape at 3.7 at other times. Personally, I would vape an 801 style atomizer at 5v and a 510 at 3.7.

I was only kidding about the freebie part. If you like the idea, Mik, you gotta send me and my wife a couple of re-tooled sticks (with dura adaptors, please) gratis as a thank u. :lol:

What do the rest of you think?

Steve

END copied text

Seems to me you could pick up the 5 volts from where the USB takes it in and run it to the atomizer lead and somehow have it not feed back to the Stick's internal board where it puts out the 3.7 that comes through the battery. Could turn into a very popular mod for all those stick owners out there with 5volt envy.

Any interest?

Steve

Right, but this definitely should be possible to do to an existing Janty Stick. Instead of putting down another 70-100$ on another Janty Stick, I'd rather spend 10$ in parts to do it myself..

Unfortunately I'm just getting into modding, so I lack the expertise to figure out how to do this.. I can follow instructions though, so if somebody else figures it out, please post a how to. :)

Lightgeoduck

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
jp(APO)Camp Z us
IMHO or is it IHMO something like that anyway...
I personally wouldn't mess with my JS unless it dies...it isn't worth it...if one was going to want something like this why not make a complete box mod and save more money.

if you are not a modder type then it would be a Good Idea for Janty to get it done..which Angus previously stated it seems like it is already in the works.

I am personnally happy with my JS as is and for what it is...if Janty makes the switch thingy I may or may not buy it..depending on how I feel that day :D

Good idea, by the way...but i do believe there is a box mod floating around in ECF land that has that feature already.

Duck Out

steven.rn

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2009
Ohio
IMHO or is it IHMO something like that anyway...
I personally wouldn't mess with my JS unless it dies...it isn't worth it...if one was going to want something like this why not make a complete box mod and save more money.

if you are not a modder type then it would be a Good Idea for Janty to get it done..which Angus previously stated it seems like it is already in the works.

I am personnally happy with my JS as is and for what it is...if Janty makes the switch thingy I may or may not buy it..depending on how I feel that day :D

Good idea, by the way...but i do believe there is a box mod floating around in ECF land that has that feature already.

Duck Out

Ah, some mods you just do because they are there. Kinda like the mountain thing. Mik's got a multivolt, why shouldn't I?

Plus, you could probably do this for pretty cheap; if worse comes to worse and you blow your Janty board, you could just wire the batt through the switch and just lose the USB function. I'll let you know how it goes if I decide to try it myself; I just thought someone here might be able to point out the smartest and easiest way to do it because we got some electronic einsteins hanging out here :cool:

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
...Seems to me you could pick up the 5 volts from where the USB takes it in and run it to the atomizer lead and somehow have it not feed back to the Stick's internal board where it puts out the 3.7 that comes through the battery. Could turn into a very popular mod for all those stick owners out there with 5volt envy.

Any interest?....

>

'Tis a grand idea, I think. To "somehow have it not feed back into the Stick's internal board" is not complicated either. A strategically placed diode would block the current flow in one direction (internal board) and allow it in the other (to the atty).

steven.rn

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2009
Ohio
'Tis a grand idea, I think. To "somehow have it not feed back into the Stick's internal board" is not complicated either. A strategically placed diode would block the current flow in one direction (internal board) and allow it in the other (to the atty).

Ya know, I'm glad there are folks out there that remember things like diodes exist... totally forgot about 'em. Now all I gotta do is figure out how to run the wires and where to put the switch (I think :rolleyes:)

I guess the ground would run all the way through the stick. then you cut the lead to the atty from the board, and thats where you interpose the diode. Then you wire the 5 volts to the end of the diode (that must be oriented properly that is leading to the atty. Oh.. wait a minit, that would bypass the sticks switch and constantly fire the atty.

Oh, if it was a momentary switch maybe it would be like a bypass button that would just fire the atty. Oh hell, now I'm confused.... back to thinking and leaning on more knowledgeable folks :shock:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread