Mod acts up with certain batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
Is there a logical reason why a mod would just randomly shut off very frequently when using one brand of battery and do it much less often with another? And this isn't a situation where I'm only referring to a single battery this is any battery of one type doesn't work well and any battery of the other type that I've tried does. * this is a long post if you don't want to read the whole thing you could just answer that question and that would provide me with a lot of information :)

My snowwolf mini mod which is the sigelei product not the original snowwolf is having a fairly common issue where occasionally the whole device just turns off. Then you have to loosen the battery cap pull the battery out so it's not making a connection and then put the battery back in and it turns back on. I've seen this reported multiple times. Now when I was using Samsung batteries it was really bad like I would get maybe two Puffs before it would shut off. But with LG batteries it seems like I can use the product almost like normal. Like I can get a good half day usage out of it before it has a problem and then I take the battery out put it back in and I get another few hours.

I know that there is a slight variance in size between these batteries or at least it seems like there is because my drip box gets the Samsungs stuck in it but not the LG which I solve by taking the stupid sticker off of them not the wrap the sticker.

Now I've only had this for 31 days so while it is past the stores warranty it's not past sigelei or snowwolf. I'm debating on whether or not I even want to worry about this warranty situation because if it continues working the way it is as long as I use LG batteries I would rather not take the chance of getting a much worse product. I feel like it's going to be hard to get them to warranty it and at the very least I have a month or two to figure this out.
My question is why would it do this why would it work so much better with one kind of battery and be nearly unusable with the other and also like why would it do this in the first place at all why would it just randomly shut off the batteries are good it's definitely the mod my first thought would be that there's a short but why would one battery cause a short and not the other or at least not as frequently?

I've had such bad luck with sigelei products that I honestly believe if I try to warranty this they're just going to send me a broken device LOL how does that work if they send me a broken device can I warranty that product? Do I get another 90 days? Or do I get the rest of my warranty period carried over from the first device? Or is it a situation where you only get one warranty and then if a device breaks again you're out of luck

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Yes, batteries can make quite a difference, if you're using ones that are not suitable for vaping use, or fake/counterfeit, or used harvested cells.

Which exact Samsung cells are you using? ( letters & numbers on wrap to help ID )
Were they purchased from a known reputable dealer/vendor?
Many fake & counterfeit, several sell used harvested cells.

How old are your batteries?
Fully charged verified via volt/multimeter?
Charged with a decent stand alone / remote charger?

Single cell or dual / multi cell power device?
What power level/range do you normally use?

When a regulated power device refuses to fire & signifies low battery most often the cell voltage has dropped below the protection circuitries low voltage cut off. Time to recharge.
If it happens frequently with the same cells best bet is the cells are insufficient CDR, old worn out or internally damaged.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
Yes, batteries can make quite a difference, if you're using ones that are not suitable for vaping use, or fake/counterfeit, or used harvested cells.

Which exact Samsung cells are you using? ( letters & numbers on wrap to help ID )
Were they purchased from a known reputable dealer/vendor?
Many fake & counterfeit, several sell used harvested cells.

How old are your batteries?
Fully charged verified via volt/multimeter?
Charged with a decent stand alone / remote charger?

Single cell or dual / multi cell power device?
What power level/range do you normally use?

When a regulated power device refuses to fire & signifies low battery most often the cell voltage has dropped below the protection circuitries low voltage cut off. Time to recharge.
If it happens frequently with the same cells best bet is the cells are insufficient CDR, old worn out or internally damaged.

I purchase them from IMR batteries it doesn't matter which version of Samsung it's any version but the ones that I have are the samsung 25r and pink 30q they're in between 3 weeks and 16 weeks old. And they work perfectly fine in every other device. I only ever charged them externally with a nitecore charger it doesn't matter if they're fully charged or not it still does it I never get a low battery warning I mean I always take my batteries out before that would happen anyway it literally just shuts off, screen goes dark, you have to take the battery out and put it back in. Conversely my LG's both the H2 and H4 work better where in a single. Of used before they need charging they might go dark once at least the mod might go dark onc . Meanwhile the Samsungs literally go dark every two to 10 puffs. If it were the batteries that would mean that eight different Samsungs all had the same exact issue but only in the one mod . Just to test it out because this is a single battery device I even took parts of married pair's and took a few puffs off them which I didn't want to do but I only have 3 single batteries that aren't married I wanted to try out a few others just in case there was just a bad batch or something but that still wouldn't explain why it only ever happens in this one mod. Oh and when I do take the battery out put it back in they're still showing that they have the same amount of battery life. It's definitely the mod it's not the batteries.

Oh and I usually use this mod around 25watts if that helps

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
I purchase them from IMR batteries it doesn't matter which version of Samsung it's any version but the ones that I have are the samsung 25r and pink 30q they're in between 3 weeks and 16 weeks old. And they work perfectly fine in every other device. I only ever charged them externally with a nitecore charger it doesn't matter if they're fully charged or not it still does it I never get a low battery warning I mean I always take my batteries out before that would happen anyway it literally just shuts off, screen goes dark, you have to take the battery out and put it back in. Conversely my LG's both the H2 and H4 work better where in a single. Of used before they need charging they might go dark once at least the mod might go dark onc . Meanwhile the Samsungs literally go dark every two to 10 puffs. If it were the batteries that would mean that eight different Samsungs all had the same exact issue but only in the one mod . Just to test it out because this is a single battery device I even took parts of married pair's and took a few puffs off them which I didn't want to do but I only have 3 single batteries that aren't married I wanted to try out a few others just in case there was just a bad batch or something but that still wouldn't explain why it only ever happens in this one mod. Oh and when I do take the battery out put it back in they're still showing that they have the same amount of battery life. It's definitely the mod it's not the batteries.

Oh and I usually use this mod around 25watts if that helps

If the power device is malfunctioning when using certain cells and seems fine when using others, either use the brand cells the power device works with or stop using the malfunctioning power device.

Have you used any button top cells in your sigelei?
IF so, it is possible the added button top pushed/bent/displaced the battery contacts enough to cause intermittent contact failure when using flat top cells which causes the power device to shut down.

All semi decent power devices should function properly with any quality name brand 18650 flat top cell that has a sufficient CDR for the power demands.
The tiny differences between flat top cell lengths should not make any difference, the battery +/- contacts should have enough give/spring to ensure firm contact using any 18650 size flat top cell.

I agree with you, going through the warranty process to get another sigelei isn't worth the effort.

Just me, I'd fix the problematic sigelei with a 3 lb ball peen hammer.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
@https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/members/avaorchid.352109/, Since you vape at 25W you might like the iStick Pico 75W mod. It's small and can be purchased for around $20 if you shop around. The Pico is wildly popular with MTL vapers here on ECF.

The link below is one site that has the Pico for under $20. It's a Hong Kong vendor that I've ordered from before.
Eleaf iStick Pico 75W Battery Mod
Thank you for the suggestion that is a super cute little mod. I've heard a lot about it so it must be a pretty good little guy too.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
If the power device is malfunctioning when using certain cells and seems fine when using others, either use the brand cells the power device works with or stop using the malfunctioning power device.

Have you used any button top cells in your sigelei?
IF so, it is possible the added button top pushed/bent/displaced the battery contacts enough to cause intermittent contact failure when using flat top cells which causes the power device to shut down.

All semi decent power devices should function properly with any quality name brand 18650 flat top cell that has a sufficient CDR for the power demands.
The tiny differences between flat top cell lengths should not make any difference, the battery +/- contacts should have enough give/spring to ensure firm contact using any 18650 size flat top cell.

I agree with you, going through the warranty process to get another sigelei isn't worth the effort.

Just me, I'd fix the problematic sigelei with a 3 lb ball peen hammer.
It's actually a known defect that I guess I didn't think was very common the only difference is I've never heard anyone else that has the issue more often with one kind of battery over another. And I just wondered if there is any logical reason why that could be cuz I can't think of one. Especially since all the batteries are purchased from the same supplier they're all legit none of them are rewraps none of them are old LOL I've never dropped the device it's never even tipped over. Newer sigeleis are just pieces of trash I guess. I understand like back in the day they used to make some decent stuff but at this point I will own a smok b4 I'll purchase another sigelei . Unfortunately I have another one coming to me from China that I hear good things about it's the and I paid $7 for it...out of 12 mods I've had two sigeleis and both of them broke within 31 days. The last one was dangerous. At least this one's just stupidly annoying. I might drop off a couple emails just to see if I'm lucky enough to get a response but I'm not going to hold my breath. It'll be fun shopping for a new mod that has 21700 capability LOL thanks for all your help :) if you happen to have a 21700 mod that you really like that comes in under $50 I'd love a recommendation

• Optimistic

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
My snowwolf mini mod which is the sigelei product not the original snowwolf is having a fairly common issue where occasionally the whole device just turns off. Then you have to loosen the battery cap pull the battery out so it's not making a connection and then put the battery back in and it turns back on. I've seen this reported multiple times. Now when I was using Samsung batteries it was really bad like I would get maybe two Puffs before it would shut off. But with LG batteries it seems like I can use the product almost like normal. Like I can get a good half day usage out of it before it has a problem and then I take the battery out put it back in and I get another few hours.

I don't have a Snowwolf Mini, but I have a bunch of Pico 75 watt mods. They are the most dependable mods I've found that I can conveniently carry in my pocket and vape at work or whenever I need a setup I can count on. These two mods both have similar threaded battery caps, so I'll give you my opinion about the issue you're having.

I've been using my Pico's for a couple of years now and am very familiar with their idiosyncrasies. What you are describing has happened to me a number of times. It starts as an occasional 'niggle' and develops into a major problem over time. I've found it is because the screw-on battery cap threads oxidise over time and need to be cleaned. I have not found that a different battery makes a difference, but IMO this is a red herring in this situation.

When this issue happens to me, I clean the battery cap threads. I swab the threads with a Q-tip loaded with alcohol, then use my thumb nail over a paper towel to clean the cap threads and my finger tip over a paper towel to clean the mod's threads best I can. This usually gives me a few months of reliable use of the system again from then on. I can feel when the threads get close to needing to be cleaned before it becomes a serious issue again.

Hoping this helps a bit @AvaOrchid :thumb:

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
I don't have a Snowwolf Mini, but I have a bunch of Pico 75 watt mods. They are the most dependable mods I've found that I can conveniently carry in my pocket and vape at work or whenever I need a setup I can count on. These two mods both have similar threaded battery caps, so I'll give you my opinion about the issue you're having.

I've been using my Pico's for a couple of years now and am very familiar with their idiosyncrasies. What you are describing has happened to me a number of times. It starts as an occasional 'niggle' and develops into a major problem over time. I've found it is because the screw-on battery cap threads oxidise over time and need to be cleaned. I have not found that a different battery makes a difference, but IMO this is a red herring in this situation.

When this issue happens to me, I clean the battery cap threads. I swab the threads with a Q-tip loaded with alcohol, then use my thumb nail over a paper towel to clean the cap threads and my finger tip over a paper towel to clean the mod's threads best I can. This usually gives me a few months of reliable use of the system again from then on. I can feel when the threads get close to needing to be cleaned before it becomes a serious issue again.

Hoping this helps a bit @AvaOrchid :thumb:
Hey. I'll give that a try! Hope that's it. They do seem to be kind of crunchy even the minute I opened it and God knows how long it was sitting in a box somewhere between when it was made and when I got it so I'm going to give it a whirl. If not I'm really seriously considering getting myself a Pico of some sort I've fallen in love with the pictures of them and the reviews. I was looking at the 21700 version but I can't find one for a good price in any American seller but there is a $35 75 watt that I might convince myself I need if the snowwolf doesn't fix. Thanks so much

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
So I did end up contacting sigelei about the issue the mod was purchased on November 7th and I contacted them either yesterday or the day before that and I already got an email back. They did refer me to the local warranty center which does make sense probably who I should have contacted in the beginning but I didn't know how I was supposed to proceed. Either way they acknowledged that so long as I didn't do the damage it is under warranty and that it should be replaced and they forwarded my email to them as well as told me to contact them directly. The key on this one is they got back to me within 48 hours which I was under the impression they would not I've heard many horror stories got me feeling guardedly optimistic. Of course I've also purchased two other mods to replace the one but that's just because I have shinitis and will use anything as an excuse to get a new mod. I do really like the feel of that mod so it would be nice if it was replaced or fixed of course since it is a pretty common issue I might get one that's even worse LOL

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Late to this game, but sometimes that "tiny" few mm difference can make one big difference. I have a Cylon mod door that does not care for LGs in particular, and will "unsnap" the door if I use them, but Samsungs (they are both authentic) are fine. I was fairly shocked.

I am not sure if your situation is the same, but my guess is if the LGs are too large, they aren't making the proper connection. Now, given the Samsungs still cause the issue but less, it could be the mod AND the batteries, the mod sort of "being tired and not performing optimally" because you have used LGs at all, or some other weird combination.

Warranty the Siegel anyway since you've started and you don't know how much damage is done. Then do NOT use LGs again.

It's the rare mod that can't handle that extra length but they DO exist.

I thought LGs were great but the longer I have them the more "meh" I am. I just replaced all my LGs with 15 new Samsungs and I will save the LGs for mods that are not hard on wraps or don't have issues with them in any way.

Good luck.
Anna

• Informative
Reactions: AvaOrchid
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread