Mod making weird noises when power is on

Status
Not open for further replies.

levente20000

Sep 19, 2019
So my Geekvape Nova mod just started making some electronic noises (like faint buzzing) when I have it powered on its so quiet that I can barely hear it when I have the battery lid on. I've tried changing batteries and its the same thing, I think I narrowed it down to being a chipset problem but I'm not really sure. Any advice?

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

levente20000

Sep 19, 2019
How long have you had it? Sounds like a board problem in which case I wouldn't use it. If it's new return it. If it's within warranty contact Geekvape. If none of the above, time to use your backup until you replace it.
Had it for 3 months now, worked like charm before its quite sad.

levente20000

Sep 19, 2019
What Elsie said. Even if it’s out of warranty contact GeekVape and be super nice, 10+yrs of sales says they’ll help out if you’re nice.
Yeah I got it from Aliexpress so I'm gonna contact the seller but I doubt they will be able to help me with this.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
In the simplest of terms, a regulated circuit operates by rapidly switching transistors on and off. Some designs you can actually hear this - but in the case of Geekvape, none of my 4 GV mods displays this kind of behaviour. It is possible I just can’t hear it, especially with the water proof models, (and given my age and the amount of Motörhead concerts I’ve attended), but I have heard it with other manufactures. Difficult to say whether this should be of concern, or you have ears of a bat, but I would post your issue in the Geekvape forum (link below) for them to respond. Also state you purchased it from Aliexpress – that may or may not have impact on whether warranty is honoured or not.

Geekvape

• Agree

Vapersmith

Mar 10, 2017
So my Geekvape Nova mod just started making some electronic noises (like faint buzzing) when I have it powered on its so quiet that I can barely hear it when I have the battery lid on. I've tried changing batteries and its the same thing, I think I narrowed it down to being a chipset problem but I'm not really sure. Any advice?
I just put my Nova up to my ear to check for a sound.I can hear a very quiet but high pitched sound when powered on.I assume your device also has the AS chip set?

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Depending on the coil I use, and the mode, I sometimes get a clicking for a few minutes on my mod. What it's doing is sampling the ohms of the coil (ohms vary by temp too) in prep for the next button press so it can do the wattage calc. Most non-mech e-cigs do this. How they do it is a matter of design and programming. It could be fast enough to be a "buzz".

1) See if it stops in a different mode if you can.
2) See if it stops after a couple minutes of just sitting there, no button presses.

Could be a problem with circuitry.
Could be coil characteristics.
Could be "normal".

IDK.
Just :2c:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
@levente20000 – again there is nothing you can possibly do to prevent this. Some Switch Mode supplies are inherit of audible noise, some are not. I do not own a GV Nova, but do own the Legend and Blade both of which do not present a noise that I can hear. But I do own devices that present a noise when fired. It is possible this is normal operation for the Nova, or it is possible this is a sign of a circuit failure. Address your issue in the Geekvape forum that I linked above so that the Geekvape representative can respond. I do not think a GV rep is allowed to post outside their respected forum.

Edit – sorry, I did not see that you have already posted in the GV forum. It’s early, still working on my morning coffee :facepalm:

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
So I left it sitting powered on for about an hour and now there is no noise, once I press the fire button tho the noise comes back again.
Right, so it's either a function of the ohms-sampling algorithm or like Punk In Drublic said, a residual effect of the general circuit design.

The operative question is..."Is this an indication of failure, or just an undesirable/harmless thing?" The vendor might tell you more, but if it's out of warranty, I'd say as long as it seems to be functioning properly, it's just an irritant.

I have a charger that has a real high-pitched whine when it is plugged in and NOT charging a battery. I can tell when it's done charging even before I see the little LED, just by the sound. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread