more coil wraps = more or less resistance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

windxrunner

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Portland, OR
I understand that the thicker the wire, the lower the resistance, but I am confused about the number of wraps. My rda is arriving on Tuesday and I've been thinking about coil building,,,can someone answer this question? If I have, say, some 30g wire and I wrap it around something 4/5, check it, and find that I want the resistance to be higher, would I do another wrap or take one off?

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Gotcha. That's what I thought, but the whole thicker kanthal is less resistance threw me off.

So, to clarify, if I did two coils around the same bit, one 3/4 and one 5/6, the 3/4 wrap would have LESS resistance? Lol

Correct. The longer the piece of wire is, the more resistance it has. The 5/6 wrap is the longer piece of wire.

windxrunner

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Portland, OR
Another way to look at Rondasherill's example, thicker wire can carry more current so there is less resistance.

That's how I think about it. It became clear when I realized that along with the fact that they measure kanthal resistance in ohms per foot. So 2 feet would have double, 6 in. half of its rating and so on. Makes a lot of sense now. I was just like, uhhhh so more wire regardless = less resistance ??? At first but now I've seen the light.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Also, its imperative that you have a way to measure the resistance of your coil before you fire it. An ohm reader, digital multimeter, or a regulated mod with a resistance meter. Only a fool relies on the number of wraps to guess at the resistance.

What mod and what batteries will you be using?

Last edited:

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
Also, its imperative that you have a way to measure the resistance of your coil before you fire it. An ohm reader, digital multimeter, or a regulated mod with a resistance meter.

What mod and what batteries will you be using?
Pretty please say vtcs and not efest purples. :D

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
VTC4, gp paps clone. Don't worry I've done a lot of research on safety. I understand the mathematics and I have a voltage-amperage-wattage-resistance calculator bookmarked.
Dont trust an online calculator for your resistance. It will give you a good idea, but there is no substitution for checking with a meter or ohm reader.

or

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread