Morten Oen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ionori

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2017
    Morten has certainly done some interesting work, but turning those findings into a practical atty appears to be more difficult than he (or Atom Vapes) anticipated. ;)
    The units reviewers got appear to be of low quality (very thin metal on the top cap, very poor paintjob), that may, at least in part, be the reason for the poor performance; maybe the reviewers will get a chance to try the prototypes Morten received and tell us if they perform the same as the units they got.

Reactions: stols001

untar

Vaping Master
    Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    He sure makes interesting experiments, but take it with a grain of salt. Why?
    -what he does isn't science. He says so himself in a recent video. Yet some seem to take everything he says as gospel. Airflow is a very complex physical/engineering problem and parts of it don't scale well at all.
    -his recommendations are often what he personally likes, that may be very different from what other people like

There's still plenty of useful stuff to take away from what he does to make your own experiments. Maybe you don't need an airflow chamber but there's some hints about what you can try for yourself with your builds.
    Some of his results I got independently myself over the years and for other reasons than he did.

Violetti Usva

ECF Veteran
    Dec 1, 2017
    It seems that he tries to use scientific methods to assess the effects of airflow but each experiment is massively deficient in validity. Upscaling atomisers distorts everything - how the airflow is going to move, how minor changes in coil surface shape affect interactions, how much space there is for turbulence to occur etc etc...plus there's the fact that his wicking videos just didn't translate well to vaping in reality. Ultra tight wicking may reduce dry hits but it also means wasting 95% of your liquid that never touches the coils as opposed to maybe 50% by the time you change the wicks with a looser wick.

Don't get me wrong, its a step in the right direction to try and scientifically assess factors affecting the vaping experience but it seems one step forwards two steps back as simply experimenting with everything coil inside your atomiser produces better results. I haven't watched anything by him in a while.

EDIT: In fact, I've found that basically putting in the biggest coil I can and trying to limit all routes for turbulence produces the best flavour in each of my bottom-airflow atomisers, regardless of the size of the airflow holes and in doing so you don't get much option to manipulate coil position! I like a restricted dtl hit thats pretty hot, but I have a history of smoking far too many substances in ways even less enjoyable than cigarettes (the smoking rather than subsequent effects of the substance of course) so I doubt most people would enjoy vaping the same way I do...

Reactions: stols001

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    his recommendations are often what he personally likes, that may be very different from what other people like
    Yep. I can pretty much guarantee I wouldn't like any of the atties he does, 'cause my vaping style is completely different.

But that doesn't mean his experiments aren't interesting.

plus there's the fact that his wicking videos just didn't translate well to vaping in reality. Ultra tight wicking may reduce dry hits but it also means wasting 95% of your liquid that never touches the coils as opposed to maybe 50% by the time you change the wicks with a looser wick.
    I've always had better results with tight wicking than loose, even in the pre-historic past when I was using cotton instead of the rayon I've been using for just about 4 years now.

Can you explain why you think tight wicking "means wasting" liquid?

Zaryk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    While I agree that what he is doing is not science (he admitted that himself), he does offer something new to the vaping community. He is showing us HIS preferred coil placement in each airflow design. What I take from his videos is a state of mind and some methodology to help me find MY favorite. He uses coils that most of us will likely never use (simply because they are not commercially available) and his coils are a bit more prone to overheating and need the most airflow possible to yield the best results. The coils that are commercially available to us are less prone to overheating and have a little more wiggle room for us to adjust to increase/decrease the heat with how deep into the airflow they are setting. My point here is, he is more opening ones mind to how to approach the subject of coil placement and airflow, rather than saying this is how everyone should build on this particular piece of hardware.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    I've always had better results with tight wicking than loose, even in the pre-historic past when I was using cotton instead of the rayon I've been using for just about 4 years now.

Can you explain why you think tight wicking "means wasting" liquid?

I too have good results with tight wicking methods, and also would be interested in hearing about the reasoning behind the tight wicking = wasting liquid. Whenever I pull my old wicks out, they tend to be really dry so I'm confused where the liquid is being wasted.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread