Nicotine traces in 0mg juices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I heard some attempted scare story about nicotine detected in 0mg juices / carts. Probably FDA circulated.

Is there any truth to this? I have a friend who wants to join with the 'smokers' without consuming nicotine and is fascinated by the concept of 0mg personal vaporizers.

Good idea to lead him down the path of PV?

Nope. Bad idea.

jimik

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
Spring Hill, Fl
I'm not sure of the nicotine content levels found in 0 juice. You will find nicotine in tomatoes, so it would not surprise me if any were found. It is just the quantity of any that could be present that worries me.

Regardless, if your friend doesn't smoke.. There should be no reason for him to vape. I would suggest steering them away from the concept of vaping, it really should not be that big of a factor to non smokers. If your friend insist on it for some reason or another, just have them vape VG to be on the safe side.

Last edited:

mm485

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2009
New Jersey
I heard some attempted scare story about nicotine detected in 0mg juices / carts. Probably FDA circulated.

Is there any truth to this? I have a friend who wants to join with the 'smokers' without consuming nicotine and is fascinated by the concept of 0mg personal vaporizers.

I guess the question is why does he want a PV with 0mg nicotine? Is he trying to kick the habit, or...?

I don't mix my own liquid, so I don't know what goes into a 0mg cart, but I would have to assume that it is possible to have trace nic in the mixture...

Again, why does he want to start with 0mg? I know some people do, but most of those are people who already quit but can't stop thinking about smoking...

Shining Wit

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2008
North of England UK
www.flavourart.co.uk
Is there any truth to this?

Yes, in some samples of Chinese liquid and not limited to the US.
Greece, Denmark and Egypt are all very insistent that zero = zero
and they do check.
I would strongly advise any non-smoker against taking up vaping, it's crazy.
John.

hxj

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2009
Arlington, MA
Interesting, I'm curious why so many people are so adamant about discouraging nonsmokers from starting vaping? Not that I disagree, just wondering what your specific objections are.

As for the original question, yes, there were traces of nicotine found in one of the 18 sample cartridges the FDA tested, and that cartridge was supposed to be zero-nicotine. I wasn't surprised by this, since I'd managed to lower my nicotine exposure to zero many years ago, and when I vaped a supposedly zero-nic cartridge that came with a starter kit a couple of months ago, I definitely had symptoms that suggested nicotine exposure, kind of like that first head rush when you had your first analog. Can't say whether it was trace amounts of nicotine from the tobacco extract used for flavoring, or poor quality control leading to liquids being mixed, or simply a mislabeled/misboxed cart (or heck, even a reaction to something else in the liquid). But I immediately switched to filling my own carts with liquids from trusted manufacturers who (just to be on the safe side) use no tobacco ingredients in their liquids.

If your friend won't be dissuaded by the potential side effects of vaping or the fact that there's no data to show what the long-term health effects might be, I would strongly encourage him to stick to zero-nic liquids from manufacturers who use no tobacco derivatives in their products, such as Johnson Creek and Intellicig (ECOpure liquid, available from InnoVapor and a few other distributors here in the U.S.).

The only thing I can say for sure is that I'd rather he take up vaping than take up smoking. :|

jimik

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
Spring Hill, Fl
Interesting, I'm curious why so many people are so adamant about discouraging nonsmokers from starting vaping? Not that I disagree, just wondering what your specific objections are.

Because I know human nature, most people do not know where to stop. That said, I realize that is not the case for all people but it seems that it is the case for the majority.

I voice my opinion because I don't want people to become addicted to a chemical that could ultimately cause them and their loved ones harm.

SheerLuckHolmes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2009
Tempe, Az
Only JC, it seems, it making a big deal about quality control. Preparing their operation for future inspections once all this is under federal control. In the mean time you are never going to know how much care and attention is given to cleanliness and exacting standards in the manufacturing of our liquids.

Even the home DIY may find unintended mixing and contamination. All it takes is one drop of nic on a finger that grabs a bottle of water for a drink. Then everything is sterilized for the next batch and then the guy takes a drink from that water bottle and there you go.....

C6Silver

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
I am a non-smoker and I enjoy vaping. I am sure I don't do it anywhere close to the amount that a smoker does, but I enjoy my e-pipe and e-cigar from time to time. While in the past I may have had the occasional cigar, I cannot say that vaping has made me even marginally more interested in going out and getting a tobacco product. When it comes to vaping itself, I am not even marginally tempted to take my pipe/cigar out with me for any sort of fear that I will have a craving. In other words vaping has not changed anything at all about my behavior. Of course everyone is different, but I think the concern here for non-smokers is a bit overblown. My theory is that smokers, for obvious reasons, don't really know life with such a device that doesn't accompany an addiction of some sort.

I make my own e-juices for two main reasons. First, I get to control the flavors and amounts which is important especially with the e-pipe. Second, I get to control 100% of what I put in the juice. I also don't really trust the commercial process as it stands now. I don't use nicotine nor do I want it, so making my own means I am also 100% sure that nicotine isn't present in any quantity.

SLDS181

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2009
Western NJ

I wouldn't suggest it, because I don't recommend starting any habit "just because". But, like others said, he can mix his own with VG, PG, & flavoring, and feel comfortable that there is no nicotine.

That said, nicotine isn't what kills you when you smoke.

Just try not to let a nonsmoker start to vape, there are many other addictive ingredients in the juices and flavors not just the nic.

Stop lying.

No.

jaspry

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
Sacramento, CA
Thanks so much for the input everyone!

First of all, he's a non-smoker and always has been. He smoked Hookah once or twice, but that's the extent of it.

He is drawn by vaping for A) the social and tactile aspect, B) the flavors which he calls, "resembles a portable hookah device".

I have not let him try my PV, but was considering helping him get a 0mg set-up. Being relatively new to vaping, and after easily not smoking analogs for a week now, I figured I'd check out the idea of having him check out PV.

But the opinions are pretty strong regarding "why start PV if you don't even smoke or need to cut back on anything?" I agree with this, which is why I came here to figure out the opinion of others.

Thanks so much everyone for your input.

Princessdee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2009
PA, USA
I can't get there right now because friggin paypal hit 'em; but I'm sure I remember VermontVapor saying there are traces of nic in the raspberry flavor. (Also tobacco and one otrher if I remember correctly) Traces won't hurt anybody that's been smoking analogs for years and is vaping to stay off, reducing their nic.

However, it's the "hand to mouth" that's the reason zyban, patches, commit, even hypnosis didn't work for me. I still needed a cig and have been known, more than once, to have an analog while wearing a patch. (Or rip it off, hold it, have a cig, put it back on with masking tape)

That's what I'd be concerned with about your friend. There's more to smoking than just nic.

JMHO ~ P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread