Morten Oen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
In vaping, making a blanket statement like any method of wicking or coil placement is "perfection" is just a bit grandiose.
I don't see it as grandiose. I see it as him striving to get to the optimum and trying to set a standard. He sure is right that airflow is everything. Again, his dissection, "over the top", (compared to other reviewers) and in depth review of the design and best coil and placement of the Dead Rabbit has given me something to think about. Actually, as far as airflow is concerned in any rda. Something that I took for granted. Ofcourse in the end each must find the coil placement that works best for them. With his theories and hypothesis in mind, it helps greatly to know exactly how the air actually flows in any RDA.
(Sorry for the rambling..english isn't my first language. I battle to express myself sometimes...)

Last edited:

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
When I watched his video on airflow it brought back what I learnt looong ago in a vacuum technology course I did....air don't bend... at atmospheric pressures it fills a void first before it enters through the suction hole...many RDAs are designed with the assumption that you suck on it and the air takes the shortest route out...that is not so.
That is the foundation of his experiments and findings. For me that is of great benefit to keep that in mind when I place my coil...

Ionori

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2017
    While I respect his work on testing mod output abilities and all that technical stuff, I cannot stand that guy as a person. His attitude and voice (not the accent either, the sound of his voice) just make my skin crawl. I guess that just reinforces the statement made earlier in this thread "to each their own."
    What do you mean by attitude? I find Daniel behaves professionally most of the time (funnily enough, his review of Morten's atomizer is the most recent incident where he did not act like a professional).

Zaryk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    What do you mean by attitude? I find Daniel behaves professionally most of the time (funnily enough, his review of Morten's atomizer is the most recent incident where he did not act like a professional).
    He seems quite arrogant in my opinion.

Violetti Usva

ECF Veteran
    Dec 1, 2017
    Having found that ultra-tight wicking is more effective than I previously believed (I think my lack of experience at the time led me to cut the tails far too long, resulting in the downsides that I found) I watched through a lot of his videos again. I've tried following his advice on my Phobia, Wasp and Reload and I don't understand how his idea of what is "right" is so far away from mine. It is not "perfection" for anyone unless they like vaping the same way as him. I am therefore absolutely certain that his rda would be the worst thing for my style of vaping. Hell, his advice for the Wasp goes against what everyone in the thread on here enjoys and recommends. Not to mention that his videos advocating 2mm builds were so unscientific I wore a face of dismay every time he showed a graph - not to say that his conclusions are wrong per se, just that the evidence is abysmal due to lack of controls.

Reactions: untar

Zaryk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    Having found that ultra-tight wicking is more effective than I previously believed (I think my lack of experience at the time led me to cut the tails far too long, resulting in the downsides that I found) I watched through a lot of his videos again. I've tried following his advice on my Phobia, Wasp and Reload and I don't understand how his idea of what is "right" is so far away from mine. It is not "perfection" for anyone unless they like vaping the same way as him. I am therefore absolutely certain that his rda would be the worst thing for my style of vaping. Hell, his advice for the Wasp goes against what everyone in the thread on here enjoys and recommends. Not to mention that his videos advocating 2mm builds were so unscientific I wore a face of dismay every time he showed a graph - not to say that his conclusions are wrong per se, just that the evidence is abysmal due to lack of controls.

He is running coils that are way different than what we are used to. If he holds the fire button down without drawing from it for a couple seconds, they can could catch fire. His coils heat up a lot faster than what claptons or round wire will. To counter this, he has to place his coil in certain spots to take advantage of some airflow effects that can mute the flavor off of clapton coils. That is why you will hear him sometimes say something like "you guys that run claptons may want to try something like this" in some of his videos. Each coil could need to be placed differently to achieve desirable effects. Coarse claptons are not going to work the same as round wire coils, so placement may need to be adjusted accordingly.

Violetti Usva

ECF Veteran
    Dec 1, 2017
    Perhaps that is why but it seems more likely to me that he just likes far airier hits than I. The fact that his rda is universally hated by critics certainly doesn't bode well and between them they've tried dozens of builds. I have about 300ml of failed DIY e juices that I dilute by half to use because I can't throw anything away - apparently the Njord rda is perfect for those :p

Zaryk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    Perhaps that is why but it seems more likely to me that he just likes far airier hits than I. The fact that his rda is universally hated by critics certainly doesn't bode well and between them they've tried dozens of builds. I have about 300ml of failed DIY e juices that I dilute by half to use because I can't throw anything away - apparently the Njord rda is perfect for those :p

I agree that the njord rda is not something I would not be interested in, and is too airy for anything I could use it for, and from my experiences too open of a deck for single coils. I have seen some hand forged flat wire and know for a fact that they require way more air than other coils because they are so fast to reach dangerous heat levels. I cannot speak with any certainty about how much air he likes, but it would seem he likes more of an airy vape.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia
    I don't know....it's hard to knock a guy like Morton. He seems very likable and he tries very hard.
    That being said, I consider any atty that takes so much effort and perfection to perform, a fail. I can put a junk build in a Narda and position it horribly....I'll get a good vape. Then I can put a great build in and position it exactly like I like it .... I'll get an amazing vape.
    I just want a great vape. If it's technically wrong or it doesn't meet the standards of the scientists, I don't care. If it vapes great, it's a winner.
    A really good atty works good no matter what. With fine tuning, a good atty goes from good to great. A junk atty goes from awful to almost passable. If Morton likes it, I'm happy for him. For him to pass it off as the perfect atty is laughable .

untar

Vaping Master
    Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    We do not know how the design process for the Njord went. They're now releasing a chamber reducing element, was this an option before release and got cut due to cost saving? Are there other things that were options they didn't went with? Airflow ring? Squonk pin? No way for us to answer.
    What we do know is that they planned an RDA at lower price point and that automatically reduces all sorts of options available to a $60-$100 RDA.

Now this isn't meant to be any defense of the Njord, I probably wouldn't enjoy that thing either as it is now, at least not without a few reviewers testing the chamber reduction thing and report "problem solved".
    Here's an image of the contraption for those that missed it
    f1604t162478p3239481n2_gHhMZuyf.jpg

As to the flat wire and flavor and all that, I've used flat wire (0.8x0.2mm and 1.5x0.2mm) for 4 months now and the flavor is different from the fused clapton I also use (2x28g+40g). Not always in a good way. The flat wire (while not the exact thing M.O. uses) fails to deliver good results with (to me) more complex juices and reduces sweetness. For something like a fresh summer lime vape that may be perfect, for a salted caramel espresso or a lemon tart that's a fail and you sometimes can't even recognize the juice any more.
    My hypothesis (untested) is that the flat wire has less temperature differential in the coil, different parts of the coil are closer in temp than in a clapton. Most ppl know that different temperatures bring out different flavor nuances, so a broader temperature band in a coil could result in more differentiated flavor.

Like I said, that's totally off the top of my head and unconfirmed, to me there's something to it. I use the flat for more fruity flavors, really makes them shine and can even bring out some acitdity making them taste less like candy. For dessert flavors I'm back to my trusted fine fused claptons.

The main thing I'm missing in his airflow experiments is a hot coil vaporizing liquid, I see no reason to outright dismiss every effect that could have on airflow ;)

Last edited:

Violetti Usva

ECF Veteran
    Dec 1, 2017
    I feel like if that thing had a domed top to it then it might really save it. I can't remember exactly but I'm sure I remember hearing that the airflow holes were angled slightly to the left to create a vortex effect - how would that work with that reducer in place?

EDIT: I do feel bad for him that they released it with a coil that he said wouldn't work for it - surely they should have just included some hammered flat wire coils to his specifications as its sold as his perfect atty.

• Agree
    Reactions: Fredman1

Violetti Usva

ECF Veteran
    Dec 1, 2017
    I just drew out a not-remotely-accurate-to-scale picture of the deck from a birds eye view just to help think about it and I still think the reducer looks like it was half-assed - a domed top would have been great for starters and while its hard to tell from the picture that hole looks smaller than most 810 bores. Having the holes in the reducer for airflow straight looks like its going to be very close to interfering with the intended airflow vortex at best and slightly in the way at worst. Plus, wont it get in the way of the reservoir for the top? I really want to get my hands on this to see if it works to rectify it but unfortunately I don't have the money for it - especially with so many other atomisers screaming for my attention that look like they will work from the get go.

untar

Vaping Master
    Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    I'm staying well away from it, and not for financial reasons. If you're financially restricted and your choices are limited then don't bother with the Njord. I see it more as a toy to test your building skills against to maybe get a passable vape out of than an everyday atomizer you throw a build in and can have an enjoyable vape.
    There's a great deal of very good affordable (ca $30) atomizers (and some decent clones of the more expensive ones) out there to choose from no matter your vaping style.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    I really enjoy Morton's videos, and him in general. Seems like a real down to earth guy and someone I could set down and have an intelligent conversation with (which says a lot because I am really not a people person at all, not even a little).

Lately, I actually end up liking the smaller youtube reviewers much more than almost all of the big time guys. I find myself watching Morton, Pal 702, and The Vaping Goat (he does a lot of budget stuff, which I respect) more than the rest anymore, unless I am looking for something specific.

Violetti Usva

ECF Veteran
    Dec 1, 2017
    I'm staying well away from it, and not for financial reasons. If you're financially restricted and your choices are limited then don't bother with the Njord. I see it more as a toy to test your building skills against to maybe get a passable vape out of than an everyday atomizer you throw a build in and can have an enjoyable vape.
    There's a great deal of very good affordable (ca $30) atomizers (and some decent clones of the more expensive ones) out there to choose from no matter your vaping style.

I once built a "coil" I called a sinusoidal spiral - imagine a stove top coil except instead of forming a flat disc the wire went up and down continually and then cotton blobs were thrown into the gaps I could fit them into. (I was intoxicated, okay?) I think his atomiser would work surprisingly well with that thing :p

I have a number of Devil RDAs and Reload clones and have no reason to buy a new rda for a while until something really piques my interest and his RDA has truly piqued my interest, albeit in a largely negative manner. Much higher on my list are the Apex, Wormhole and VLS though - all for positive reasons and different build styles to my standard Reload/Devil.

Zaryk, I agree fully with the smaller vs larger reviewers and I've not heard of Pal 702 so I'll check him out :)

Fredman1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 27, 2017
    New Zealand
    The thing that I detest most of certain reviewers, is that they tend to make the review about themselves. That unfortunately includes most of the bigger ones....but hey that's just a personal thing. I don't like loudmouths in general....:confused:
    When I absolutely have to watch something of them, I screen through as fast I can, just to see what i'm interested in.

Last edited:

Fredman1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 27, 2017
    New Zealand
    I don't know....it's hard to knock a guy like Morton. He seems very likable and he tries very hard.
    Agreed. All I take from him, is to know that how airflow behaves, is important. In his quest for perfection, he is bound to create controversy. That's is a good thing for us I think. It sure forces me to be creative and think about things that can only improve my vaping experience and knowledge.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread