Status
Not open for further replies.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Yep. I can pretty much guarantee I wouldn't like any of the atties he does, 'cause my vaping style is completely different.

But that doesn't mean his experiments aren't interesting.

I've always had better results with tight wicking than loose, even in the pre-historic past when I was using cotton instead of the rayon I've been using for just about 4 years now.

Can you explain why you think tight wicking "means wasting" liquid?
I am lost here too. Worst case scenario, we're talking maybe 1 drop of of eliquid? I never looked at tight wicking as jamming an entire cotton ball into the top cap....now, that would waste juice.

HauntedMyst

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2013
Chicago
I've got to agree, I probably spill more juice accidently than has ever been wasted INSIDE an atty.

I am lost here too. Worst case scenario, we're talking maybe 1 drop of of eliquid?

One day, after the vapocalypse, we're all gonna be like alcoholic beggars scrounging for the 1 drop of eliquid in the dust and ruins! Or maybe not, I'll probably just give up vaping.

• Winner
Reactions: stols001

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
One day, after the vapocalypse, we're all gonna be like alcoholic beggars scrounging for the 1 drop of eliquid in the dust and ruins! Or maybe not, I'll probably just give up vaping.
Bzzt. Neither of these are acceptable options. Have freezer, will vape. :)

Violetti Usva

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2017
I've always had better results with tight wicking than loose, even in the pre-historic past when I was using cotton instead of the rayon I've been using for just about 4 years now.

Can you explain why you think tight wicking "means wasting" liquid?

Tight wicking is good but not the so-tight-its-really-difficult to get it into the coil wicking that he recommends which I found resulted in constant dry hits. I haven't used rayon yet myself.

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
It seems that he tries to use scientific methods to assess the effects of airflow but each experiment is massively deficient in validity. Upscaling atomisers distorts everything - how the airflow is going to move, how minor changes in coil surface shape affect interactions, how much space there is for turbulence to occur etc etc...plus there's the fact that his wicking videos just didn't translate well to vaping in reality. Ultra tight wicking may reduce dry hits but it also means wasting 95% of your liquid that never touches the coils as opposed to maybe 50% by the time you change the wicks with a looser wick.
I have to disagree with you..
The physics and characteristics of airflow is the same no matter the size of a chamber....period.
As to the tightness off the wick. I was pleasantly surprised when I rolled a VERY tight wick and forced it into my 2.5mm coil after watching his video. I used about a 8mm wide piece of cotton and rolled it as hard as I could. I actually overdid it, on suppose....
I was always a tightish wicker but was of the thought that to tight is a negative. Boy am I surprised at how quiet this coil is. For the first time since I started building coils, I have a coil that don't spatter and spit...at all !!!
It is super quiet...and it wicks perfectly so far.

Last edited:

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
The physics and characteristics of airflow is the same no matter the size of a chamber....period.
As to the tightness off the wick. I was pleasantly surprised when I rolled a VERY tight wick and forced it into my 2.5mm coil after watching his video. I used about a 8mm wide piece of cotton and rolled it as hard as I could. I actually overdid it, on suppose....
I was always a tightish wicker but was of the thought that to tight is a negative. Boy am I surprised at how quiet this coil is. For the first time since I started building coils, I have a coil that don't spatter and spit...at all !!! It is super quiet...and it wicks perfectly so far.
I tend to agree. The Scottish Roll technique has been around long before I ever saw Morton and it works. It just kind of became a hassle.

• Agree
Reactions: Eskie

Violetti Usva

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2017
You know what...I decided to give it a go making the wick unbelievably tight, tighter than ever before, slightly more than twice the amount of cotton I'd usually use although still rolled using the same technique. Please ignore what I previously said as I haven't had a semi-dry hit yet! My previous attempt following his instruction slightly under-did it I guess. Learn something new every day :)

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
You know what...I decided to give it a go making the wick unbelievably tight, tighter than ever before, slightly more than twice the amount of cotton I'd usually use although still rolled using the same technique. Please ignore what I previously said as I haven't had a semi-dry hit yet! My previous attempt following his instruction slightly under-did it I guess. Learn something new every day :)
Careful.... you're gonna waste all your juice! :lol:

• Love
Reactions: Violetti Usva

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I think that the late Osborne Reynolds might take issue with this assertion. ;)

I was always a tightish wicker but was of the thought that to tight is a negative. Boy am I surprised at how quiet this coil is. For the first time since I started building coils, I have a coil that don't spatter and spit...at all !!!
It is super quiet...and it wicks perfectly so far.
:headbang:

Fredman1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2017
New Zealand
Most interesting to me...
As i'm waiting on my Dead Rabbit I watched some videos. Came across Morten's one and found the coil diameter and especially the placement, is very important. I found the explanation fascinating and very insightfull indeed. Its worth the watch...!
I then went to my favourite reviewer which DJLsb. As always i enjoyed his review and I would've gone with it, except as I knew about the airflow and coil placement issue I saw a huge potential flaw in his review....! To be fair "flaw" might be the wrong word here. Its just that if the wrong coils is used and wrongly placed, it won't perform well, or at its optimum...
Daniel obviously wasn't aware of that, because he gave it no second thought....(sorry but unfortunately you'll have to watch both videos to know what I mean, as I will just muck it up if I try and go into to much detail).
It just showed me how important airflow is and how widely its misunderstood and/or taken for granted. Even most manufacturers don't seem to have a understanding how it behaves.

Last edited:
Reactions: mackman

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Most interesting to me...
As i'm waiting on my Dead Rabbit I watched some videos. Came across Morten's one and found the coil diameter and especially the placement, is very important. I found the explanation fascinating and very insightfull indeed. Its worth the watch...!
I then went to my favourite reviewer which DJLsb. As always i enjoyed his review and I would've gone with it, except as I knew about the airflow and coil placement issue I saw a huge potential flaw in his review....! To be fair "flaw" might be the wrong word here. Its just that if the wrong coils is used and wrongly placed, it won't perform well, or at its optimum...
Daniel obviously wasn't aware of that, because he gave it no second thought....(sorry but unfortunately you'll have to watch both videos to know what I mean, as I will just muck it up if I try and go into to much detail).
It just showed me how important airflow is and how widely its misunderstood and/or taken for granted. Even most manufacturers don't seem to have a understanding how it behaves.
It seems there's not many people who are looking for the same vape (wape) Morton is looking for. As with any reviewer, take build recommendations with a grain of salt. What works for them may not work for you.

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
I tend to agree. The Scottish Roll technique has been around long before I ever saw Morton and it works. It just kind of became a hassle.
I watched a couple of his videos when he posted them here. My belief is that what he says is all true, that is if you want to achieve an extreme perfection point. At one point I followed his advice on lowering my coils down so that it is directly in front is the airflow. At first I liked it but then didn't because the coils where too low to the deck, affecting the length of the cotton tails. I am getting a very satisfying vape with the coils higher up than the airflow holes now. His way may be perfection but I am happier my way for my own reason.

It's interesting I never never he uses the Scottish roll for his tight wicking. Since the last 5 months I've been doing the Scottish roll only and over time I have gotten better at it. I have been making a ten wrap spaced of 24G and I just manage to fit the cotton through the 3mm inside diameter. As always I cut the legs so that they are just touching the deck. Honestly I can't see myself wicking any other way. Tight wicking along with the Scottish roll is a winner:)

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I watched a couple of his videos when he posted them here. My belief is that what he says is all true, that is if you want to achieve an extreme perfection point. At one point I followed his advice on lowering my coils down so that it is directly in front is the airflow. At first I liked it but then didn't because the coils where too low to the deck, affecting the length of the cotton tails. I am getting a very satisfying vape with the coils higher up than the airflow holes now. His way may be perfection but I am happier my way for my own reason.

It's interesting I never never he uses the Scottish roll for his tight wicking. Since the last 5 months I've been doing the Scottish roll only and over time I have gotten better at it. I have been making a ten wrap spaced of 24G and I just manage to fit the cotton through the 3mm inside diameter. As always I cut the legs so that they are just touching the deck. Honestly I can't see myself wicking any other way. Tight wicking along with the Scottish roll is a winner:)
In vaping, making a blanket statement like any method of wicking or coil placement is "perfection" is just a bit grandiose. Perfection is simply what works best for you. The best reviewers (looking at you @Mark Todd ) make suggestions based on what works best for them then follow up with recommending you find what works best for you.

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
In vaping, making a blanket statement like any method of wicking or coil placement is "perfection" is just a bit grandiose. Perfection is simply what works best for you. The best reviewers (looking at you @Mark Todd ) make suggestions based on what works best for them then follow up with recommending you find what works best for you.
I agree. I basically meant that the Scottish roll wicking method along with tight wicking is a way that many did happen to find that it worked for them. I should be glad I found what works for me.

• Agree
Reactions: Asbestos4004

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
then went to my favourite reviewer which DJLsb.QUOTE]

While I respect his work on testing mod output abilities and all that technical stuff, I cannot stand that guy as a person. His attitude and voice (not the accent either, the sound of his voice) just make my skin crawl. I guess that just reinforces the statement made earlier in this thread "to each their own."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread