Most annoying part of vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulw2014

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2012
Batavia, IL
I have a Ego Twist and the Vivi Nova. I love vaping but the only thing that bothers me is cleaning the head. It takes quite a bit to get it to the point of new, by "new" I mean being able to vape two tanks without any weird odor. I usually wash them, dry burn them, soak them in alcohol, and dry burn again, and finally with a water rinse again.

I wonder if just rewicking and recoiling (I just bought wicks and Kanthal) would give a more consistent better result than cleaning them? A lot has been said about good ways to clean the heads, but I still think nothing is better than a new head (or new wick and coil) when it comes to performance, what do you think?

The worst part is putting a cleaned (you thought) head on, pour in the juice, and realize you need to swap head.

Anyone have similar experience or thought?

acolyte357

Verified Member
Apr 16, 2009
Louisville, KY USA
Clean them, re-wick them, or buy more. What ever works for you! That's the important part. Don't worry about what you are supposed to do, do what you like the most.
"don't try to salvage them in any way unless you're desperate and have no other options."
Advances with PVs, atties and juices come from people modding/playing with equipment.

ninjuh

ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2012
Northwest Idaho
Clean them, re-wick them, or buy more. What ever works for you! That's the important part. Don't worry about what you are supposed to do, do what you like the most.
"don't try to salvage them in any way unless you're desperate and have no other options."
Advances with PVs, atties and juices come from people modding/playing with equipment.

I'm all for Modding and tweaking on stuff. But stock Nova heads aren't really designed to go thru that kind of process unless you're rewicking. The silica wicks will start deteriorating & you DONT want to be vaping particles of that crap into your throat, which most likely will happen if u try cleaning them & messing with them. That's why I say its best to just replace the head.

bacc.vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2011
Virtualville
Depends alot on what juice your using and how long you go in between cleanings. Certain juices certainly do like to hang around, might wanna reserve a head just for those types, a head for each I mean. If you can't get away from juice lingering then certainly give the recoiling/wicking a shot. I can't argue with the fact that new is best.

elmattias

Resident Miyagi
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
N'awlinz
pointing out that if you buy new heads you might as well use cartos as i find them cheaper than the heads most of the time, and they have less fiddle factor, since you don't have to tip them over every few minutes to get a good vape, or hold them up and let condensate run in your mouth....anyways enough hating though, i love the nova, i use them at home, i have both the mini and the larger versions...although i really don't like the mini much at all....the tank threads are just wonky...however, i rebuild the heads, at about 5 cents a rebuild...it doesn't make sense not to....although i do it with cotton...because simply its just a superior wick, IMHO

bivie

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2012
Damon, TX near Houston
BobbyIvie.com
pointing out that if you buy new heads you might as well use cartos as i find them cheaper than the heads most of the time, and they have less fiddle factor, since you don't have to tip them over every few minutes to get a good vape, or hold them up and let condensate run in your mouth....anyways enough hating though, i love the nova, i use them at home, i have both the mini and the larger versions...although i really don't like the mini much at all....the tank threads are just wonky...however, i rebuild the heads, at about 5 cents a rebuild...it doesn't make sense not to....although i do it with cotton...because simply its just a superior wick, IMHO

I have the maxi and the mini, too, and I love them both.

I want so badly to rewick with cotton, but my hands are too shaky to do detailed things
like that, and my patience is even shakier :(

elmattias

Resident Miyagi
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
N'awlinz
I have the maxi and the mini, too, and I love them both.

I want so badly to rewick with cotton, but my hands are too shaky to do detailed things
like that, and my patience is even shakier :(

Shaky hands shouldn't be an issue, try using a magnifying glass to help you see the details, and use a small screwdriver, or maybe even a toothpick, to form the coil.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

bivie

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2012
Damon, TX near Houston
BobbyIvie.com
Shaky hands shouldn't be an issue, try using a magnifying glass to help you see the details, and use a small screwdriver, or maybe even a toothpick, to form the coil.

I get closer every day. I think about rebuildable atomizers, too. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try.
Who knows? It might be something I enjoy as the rest of the habit/hobby.

paulw2014

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2012
Batavia, IL
Okay, I have only used the vivi nova so far, and haven't explored the other juice delivery systems out there yet, such as cartos, cartos with tanks, or even those bottom coil clearos.

But do all of them suffer from bad taste if you didn't clean the heating element? or is it just a wick/coil thing? thanks

paulw2014

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2012
Batavia, IL
Okay, I have only used the vivi nova so far, and haven't explored the other juice delivery systems out there yet, such as cartos, cartos with tanks, or even those bottom coil clearos.

But do all of them suffer from bad taste if you didn't clean the heating element? or is it just a wick/coil thing? thanks

this might be a stupid question, but I've never used anything other than the vivi nova, so I just want to be sure.

elmattias

Resident Miyagi
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
N'awlinz

Cartos I consider disposable for the most part...when they get too gummy I take the filler out and convert it to an atomizer...as far as''bad taste''goes, with cartos there is no such thing as a''dry hit'',and the only decline that you get over the life of it, at least that I see, is a decline in vapor production, which is OK with me, because they overall produces tons more vapor than the Nova, at least for me anyway...the only thing I really love my Nova for is vaping at home, when I just want an occasional puff here and there, and the fact that I can rebuild it cheaply for about 5-10cents each rebuild and rewick...other than that I just prefer my carto performance

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
I'm not sure if your question is "what is the most annoying part of vaping?" like the title says, or if it's a vivi nova cleaning question.

I guess the "most annoying" part of vaping, in general, is all this "fiddle factor". Cleaning included. But anything. Way harder to vape than smoke. Much better though, so I guess it's to be expected.

Cleaning....if you're sitting on a bunch of wick and coil wire.... I'd rinse until it didn't work, then just recoil. Avoid too hot of a burning on the coil/wick. I do drying-burns. But not dry-burns. That's me.

Dry burning in and of itself, doesn't clean. There are "methods" that use dry burning along with rinsing (like "the high-ping method") that also rinse the ash out and try to rinse gunk before hand. But if you rinse and clean often, you don't have to "make ash". Stresses the coil IMO. That's not to say I never use it...but I try to avoid it by doing maintenance regularly so I don't need to dry burn. With the V.N... just replace the coil & wick. meh.

elmattias

Resident Miyagi
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
N'awlinz
i don't find any of the cleaning stuff to be annoying... i find most of my annoyance comes from over-dripping my atty and having juice leak out...
having to carry around paper towels all the time kind of a pain in the @$$..!!

Over dripped or not they still leak...drip shields work great though, and generally I only drip on a mod with a nice deep juice well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread