Most reliable mod for under $100 that'll last forever??

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyCrack

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2011
Florida
I have 2 voopoo drag X's still in the box - the 3rd one is falling apart like the first one I had.. I seem to only get a 9-10 months out of these things before they seem to fall apart.. I need something NOW while I can still reasonably get it and buy enough coils for a decade.. Any ideas?

Thanks!!

Hdivr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
Rolla MO
Gonna have to go mechanical. Anything with clicky buttons and/or electronics is going to fail or get bricked. My 6 month old Voopoo Drag S just failed and I loved that thing. So now I'm back to Aegis Max and my trusty Slam Piece Clone Mech. I've bought enough clapton premade coils in the .3 ohm range to last me for years.

I think the mech was around $30 shipped from China.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Something in the Geekvape Aegis line, depending on what wattage you vape at. The chip may still eventually fail. But the mod will be a lot more rugged, and resistant to every day damage eg from dropping it or drowning it in juice.

AEGIS Series – The Most Durable Vape Booster

The review section has ECF members posting reviews on all of those available here:
    Standard E-Cigarette Reviews

E-Cigarette APV Reviews
    Just do a search for the device you like in each of those forums, and the reviews should pop up.

Otherwise, I usually just do a Google search and include ECF in the search terms and that does the same thing.
    eg aegis solo kit review ecf
    brings up all the reviews by ECF members.

SonnyCrack

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 22, 2011
    Florida
    Gonna have to go mechanical. Anything with clicky buttons and/or electronics is going to fail or get bricked. My 6 month old Voopoo Drag S just failed and I loved that thing. So now I'm back to Aegis Max and my trusty Slam Piece Clone Mech. I've bought enough clapton premade coils in the .3 ohm range to last me for years.

I'd pay $100 for a Drag that would actually last.. Why do a changable battery mod that doesn't even last as long as a built in battery? lol first the battery door was always screwing up, then the fake leather crap came off with the worst glue ever under it then it just stopped turning on.. UGH

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    If you're looking to stock up for a decade, as far as chinese regulated mods go, you better buy 8-12 mods with 510 connections (not pods or pod mods) of various makes and models.

Then you need to baby them, and that includes toning down your vaping. The higher wattage you vape, the more heat you generate on the components on the board and that heat will degrade those cheap Chinese components faster than someone who vapes 30W or less.

Regardless of type of battery cap, baby that cap.

Of course you'll need to buy some 510 tanks and RTAs.

Obviously mech mods can be more durable, but they don't come without their issues. Plus, mech mods aren't for everyone.

Good luck.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!

mimöschen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 15, 2016
    A mech mod's longevity is unbeatable.
    Just pair a good mech with a proper mech mod compatible atty, choose the matching resistance for the battery you wish to use, make sure your batteries are in perfect condition and you're good to go for ages.
    That setup will most probably even outlast your grandchildren.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 21, 2015
    Arkansas Ozarks
    A mech mod's longevity is unbeatable.
    Just pair a good mech with a proper mech mod compatible atty, choose the matching resistance for the battery you wish to use, make sure your batteries are in perfect condition and you're good to go for ages.
    That setup will most probably even outlast your grandchildren.
    ...with proper maintenance...

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    If you're looking to stock up for a decade, as far as chinese regulated mods go, you better buy 8-12 mods with 510 connections (not pods or pod mods) of various makes and models.

Then you need to baby them, and that includes toning down your vaping. The higher wattage you vape, the more heat you generate on the components on the board and that heat will degrade those cheap Chinese components faster than someone who vapes 30W or less.

Regardless of type of battery cap, baby that cap.

Of course you'll need to buy some 510 tanks and RTAs.

Obviously mech mods can be more durable, but they don't come without their issues. Plus, mech mods aren't for everyone.

Good luck.
    I agree with Junkle, the number one killer for most vape components is heat. Repeated rapid expansion and contraction of materials causes excessive stresses and microfractures. People love cranking their mod up to "ZOMG, 300 WattZ!" and then cry when the thing melts in their hand. I've never had an issue getting a coil to fire at any wattage under 70, and that's on the high end for me - I usually vape around 45-55. For higher ohm builds, much lower like in the 10's and 20's. If you buy a car and redline it continuously, it's not a matter of if, but when.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    I guess I've mostly had good luck.

Granted, most of my collection of MOD's are single battery. The ones that have a USB port are always recharged via the USB port.

While many of these MOD's have 40-100W ratings, I tend to vape @ <=30W for single coil atomizers and <= 60W for dual coil atomizers.

I tend to keep a number of them (handful or more) in rotation. I may (or not!) always have one plugged in and charging and a bunch of them ready to go.

With the above said, I've had good luck with Eleaf products (I have a bunch of different Pico's), many of which I've bough directly from Eleaf.

While I have more than 1/2 dozen dual battery mods, I rarely use them because of size, weight and almost all of them won't do a proper balance charge via the USB port forcing me to swap batteries which almost always leads to door failure.

YMMV.

g.

OldBatty

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 28, 2014
    North Georgia USA
    and my trusty Slam Piece Clone Mech.

Something inspired me to Google that. Bless you, a tube mod with a side button! Love the shape of a tube mod but can not stand a bottom button. Never bought another after trying a 4Nine clone years ago. Will order one this weekend. Thanks again!

Oh, second the advice of mechs over electronics. My Ego twist did not last so I chose a different path.

SonnyCrack

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 22, 2011
    Florida
    sbgangnumber.jpg

Something inspired me to Google that. Bless you, a tube mod with a side button! Love the shape of a tube mod but can not stand a bottom button. Never bought another after trying a 4Nine clone years ago. Will order one this weekend. Thanks again!

Oh, second the advice of mechs over electronics. My Ego twist did not last so I chose a different path.

That was the original Silver Bullet with the Button on the side from 2009.... I owned one - it was great.

SonnyCrack

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 22, 2011
    Florida
    Still have my SB, and it works when everything else fails!!

But, this was bought in 2012, and I still use it everyday ... all day!!

I'd love to get ahold of one of these.. I guess the question is - would they work with a modern tank or RDA? Will the center pin connector support it? Thanks for sharing it's still holding up!! That's American made greatness!!

Reactions: Izan

Miles Himan

Moved On
    Sep 25, 2021
    No mod will last forever (unless you build it yourself) That was the title of your thread... if that is what you really want then @SupplyDaddy gave you the solution. Otherwise...
    it sounds like you want a mech mod (no experience with this but would love to have one) So I have nothing to suggest except I am handy and will build one myself if needed (I've been making my own stuff for 40 years)
    Look at Mooch info about batteries before you go there. He has videos on YT. Personally, as much as I want a mech, I would also recommend a good regulated mod ;)

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    I'd love to get ahold of one of these.. I guess the question is - would they work with a modern tank or RDA? Will the center pin connector support it? Thanks for sharing it's still holding up!! That's American made greatness!!

That one was actually made in Portugal, but I also have a dozen Caravelas that were made in China, (HCigar) that are one to one clones.

I don't suggest sub ohm vaping with any mechanical mod, if that is what you mean by "modern". It just isn't necessary.
    Safety comes first with mechanical mods, and that starts with them always having a center pin between you and a disaster. Also a 2 amp load on a 20 amp battery is a lot safer than pushing that 20 amp battery to the max.
    All comes down to 'using your head man'!!

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    Still have my SB, and it works when everything else fails!!

I have some SB's and always keep one out. Got one new and 3 more used. One of the used ones had been dropped from a car at 30mph, it has a dent on the bottom edge and some missing paint but it still works fine. They must be made of the thickest metal of any mod ever sold. Stashed a bag of hot springs and some fuses.

If they were still being made they would meet OP's requirements, under $100 and last forever. I bet one would come along if you posted a want ad here.

• Informative
    Reactions: SonnyCrack

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana

As long as the tank has a protruding positive pin. I fixed a couple of tanks to use with mechs. Take them apart and grind 1/8" off the negative ring.

Reactions: Oregon Linda

SonnyCrack

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 22, 2011
    Florida
    I have some SB's and always keep one out. Got one new and 3 more used. One of the used ones had been dropped from a car at 30mph, it has a dent on the bottom edge and some missing paint but it still works fine. They must be made of the thickest metal of any mod ever sold. Stashed a bag of hot springs and some fuses.

If they were still being made they would meet OP's requirements, under $100 and last forever. I bet one would come along if you posted a want ad here.

Sounds like a good idea - I'm not a fan of mechs but I'd sleep better at night knowing if everything else failed and it was between a pod or a mech I'll take the mech everytime.

• Agree
    Reactions: englishmick
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread