Status
Not open for further replies.

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Re-posting quiz image for easy page 2 access.

movie-quiz_112.jpg

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Hints, round two.

#5: Fred Dobbs and Bob Curtin, both down on their luck in Tampico, Mexico in 1925, meet up with a grizzled prospector named Howard and decide to join with him in search of gold in the wilds of central Mexico. Through enormous difficulties, they eventually succeed in finding gold, but bandits, the elements, and most especially greed threaten to turn their success into disaster. Interesting side note: The boy in the screenshot is a very young Robert Blake.

#6:
In London, a pregnant Russian teenager arrives bleeding in a hospital, and the doctors are only able to save her baby. A midwife who assisted the childbirth discovers the girl had a diary, but it is written in Russian. In an effort to learn the whereabouts of the girl's family and turn the infant over to them, the midwife needs to get the diary translated. The diary soon reveals that child was the result of a rape involving a violent Russian mob family.

#7: Randall Patrick McMurphy thinks he can get out of doing work while in prison by pretending to be crazy, but his plan backfires when he is sent to a mental asylum. He tries to liven the place up a bit by playing card games and basketball with his fellow inmates, but the head nurse is after him at every turn.

#8: On the run after murdering a man, accountant William Blake, (Johnny Depp in the screenshot), encounters a strange American Indian named Nobody who prepares him for his journey into the spiritual world.

movie-quiz_112_5-8.jpg

FantWriter

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2010
Kentucky
I was kinda, sorta, almost close to being right about my wild guess for #8. I thought it was a more recent movie by that actor, but a fast check showed it couldn't be.

This is the first time you've presented a movie I'm very seriously interested in finding and watching!

Thanks, caff!

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I've seen #5, but don't remember the name of it. That's not good.

I think it's coming to me, but either want to guess aloud here (which is a no no) or google it (which is cheating). I'm around 65% confident in what I have in my head right now, but likely need quiz answers to confirm. I can be patient for that, just meandering for the fun of it.

TheWestPole

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 28, 2015
Los Angeles
I think it's coming to me, but either want to guess aloud here (which is a no no) or google it (which is cheating). I'm around 65% confident in what I have in my head right now, but likely need quiz answers to confirm. I can be patient for that, just meandering for the fun of it.

If the description hasn't clinched it for you, and you have it down to a couple of related choices, go with the most famous.

BTW, @caffeinated, nice detail about Robert Blake. I always forget that, and every time I see the movie I get an aha! moment. Another factoid of course is one of the three main actors is the director's father:

hqdefault.jpg

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Answer time!

#1: Seven Samurai
In this 1954 classic, a veteran warrior, who has fallen on hard times, answers a village's request for protection from bandits. He gathers six comrades to help him, and they teach the townspeople how to defend themselves. The film culminates in a giant battle when 40 bandits attack the village.

seven-samurai_2_sm.jpg

#2: Gone Baby Gone
Based on a Dennis Lehane novel, this film tells the story of two Boston area private detectives who investigate a little girl's kidnapping. The investigation uncovers a situation that ultimately turns into a crisis for them, both professionally and personally.

gone-baby-gone_1_sm.jpg

#3: Rocky
I don't even know how to post a hint for this one that won't just be a dead giveaway. Ugh... here goes: That's Adrian in the screenshot, a painfully shy, plain-Jane, neighborhood girl who works in a pet store. Her boyfriend is a struggling boxer who is presented with the opportunity of a lifetime.

rocky_1_sm.jpg

#4: Barbarella
In the 41st century, a highly sexual, futuristic astronaut (the movie's title character, played by Jane Fonda), is assigned with finding and stopping the evil Durand-Durand. Along the way, she teams up with a blind angel named Pygar, and battles the Black Queen along with various sexual torture devices.

barbarella_3_sm.jpg

#5: The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Fred Dobbs and Bob Curtin, both down on their luck in Tampico, Mexico in 1925, meet up with a grizzled prospector named Howard and decide to join with him in search of gold in the wilds of central Mexico. Through enormous difficulties, they eventually succeed in finding gold, but bandits, the elements, and most especially greed threaten to turn their success into disaster. Interesting side note: The boy in the screenshot is a very young Robert Blake.

the-treasure-of-the-sierra-madre_1_sm.jpg

#6: Eastern Promises
In London, a pregnant Russian teenager arrives bleeding in a hospital, and the doctors are only able to save her baby. A midwife who assisted the childbirth discovers the girl had a diary, but it is written in Russian. In an effort to learn the whereabouts of the girl's family and turn the infant over to them, the midwife needs to get the diary translated. The diary soon reveals that child was the result of a rape involving a violent Russian mob family.

eastern-promises_2_sm.jpg

#7: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Randall Patrick McMurphy thinks he can get out of doing work while in prison by pretending to be crazy, but his plan backfires when he is sent to a mental asylum. He tries to liven the place up a bit by playing card games and basketball with his fellow inmates, but the head nurse is after him at every turn.

one-flew-over-the-cuckoos-nest_2_sm.jpg

#8: Dead Man
On the run after murdering a man, accountant William Blake, (Johnny Depp in the screenshot), encounters a strange American Indian named Nobody who prepares him for his journey into the spiritual world.

dead-man_3_sm.jpg

As always, thanks for playing, guys! :)

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
So, I ended up knowing (and mostly guessing correctly): 1, 3, 4, 5 and 7

My guess for 5 previously was along lines of: Treasure of the Madre (so I was close)

Never would've got 2, 6, or 8 in a million years. Curious which of those 3 is highest recommendation (from anyone reading this)?

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Well, they're all good, IMO...

Dead Man is a Jim Jarmusch film. He mostly makes art-house type movies like Coffee and Cigarettes, Down by Law, Ghost Dog, Broken Flowers, and many others. Jarmusch writes and directs, and does both with a unique style, so if you've seen any of his other movies, you probably already know whether or not you'd like Dead Man.

Very similar things can be said about David Cronenberg's work and Eastern Promises, (except maybe the art-house part). It's a high quality thriller/crime film that's skillfully made, very well acted, and has an edgy feel.

Gone Baby Gone, also a crime/mystery flick, is definitely the most mainstream of the three. While I enjoyed it enough to watch it twice, I probably wouldn't sit down for a third viewing. Also, having grown up adjacent to Boston, I particularly enjoyed that the movie was set there, and was cast with a large number of locals.

How's that for a non-answer? :D

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Vaporgal, does that statement imply that you've never seen Rocky? Because that would be pretty surprising!

I mean, I don't hold it up as some paragon of impeccable movie craftsmanship or anything, (though it is quite good, and well worth seeing). But, Rocky is just one of those films that I figured pretty much everybody has seen. Well, everybody over 35 or so, anyway.

(If I may be so bold as to assume that you're over 35. If not, sorry!) :D

Reactions: FantWriter
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread