Status
Not open for further replies.

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Ladies and gentlemen, for your entertainment and amusement, I present you with Movie Quiz number 113. :)

The thread will run its course for a week or so, and I'll bump it with hints and whatnot as needed. Answers will be posted when the time feels right.

There are eight screenshots below. Most of them should be fairly recognizable if you've seen the films. So, which of these movies can you identify?

Please answer with movie numbers only, not titles..
forum_flail.gif

Good luck!

movie-quiz_115.jpg

Reactions: FantWriter

FantWriter

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2010
Kentucky
Things are back to normal! Got 2 definite, 1 iffy.

#2 -- Kind of obvious. Absolute classic. I doubt anyone will miss this one.

#8 -- I love this movie, but I suspect a lot of people never heard of it. One of the best opening scenes ever! The 'join us or get a new address' scene is priceless.

I think I might know #5. Everything fits, but I don't remember this scene.

Thanks, caff!

Wow! The moment before I hit send, I realized I know #7! Not only does this up my success rate, it happened before I posted. ;)

Reactions: caffeinated

justincase

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2009
33.98801111° N, 77.90895581° W
I'm sure you've seen the movie, or at least have heard enough about it to be able to guess. Maybe if you read the note again?
Ok.....you made me cheat (google fu)
Yes, I have heard of the movie, but I've never seen it!

I would say deduct a point from me for cheating, but since I don't have any, perhaps we will let this one slide?! [emoji38]

Here's an early, minor hint: The person with his back to the camera in screenshot #1 is the same actor as the man in screenshot #8. :D
Still does nothing for me.
I don't know (can't tell) who it is.

Although..... Upon closer observation I think I might know #5.
MIGHT!

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
I'm sure you've seen the movie, or at least have heard enough about it to be able to guess. Maybe if you read the note again?
So far, I've shown the quiz to three people who have never seen movie #2 but were able to answer correctly based on the information in that note. Which is exactly how I hoped that screenshot would work out. :)

Last edited:

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Hints!

#1: In this Coen Brothers' prohibition-era gangster flick, Gabriel Byrne plays Tom Reagan, chief advisor to a mob boss. That's him, with his back to the camera in the screenshot, aiming to gun down Bernie Bernbaum, (played by John Turturro).

#2: Blake Edwards directed this 1961 classic, which was based on a Truman Capote novella. It tells the story of a flighty Manhattan party girl, Holly Golightly, who becomes interested in a young man who has moved into her apartment building. He is a struggling writer who is fascinated by her quirkiness, and can see her hidden vulnerability.

#3: This is a 1986 remake of a creepy, 1958 sci-fi classic in which a scientist has a horrific accident when he tries to use his newly invented teleportation device. The scientist in this 1986 version is played by Jeff Goldblum.

#4: Determined to solve the coincidence of seeing the same conspicuous stranger three times in a day, Albert hires a pair of existentialist detectives, who insist on spying on his everyday life while sharing their views on life and the nature of the universe. If it helps, left to right in the screenshot we have: Lily Tomlin, Jason Schwartzman, Dustin Hoffman, and Mark Wahlberg.

movie-quiz_115_1-4.jpg

FantWriter

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2010
Kentucky
Oh, great -- I only got two, and I was wrong about one of them!

I thought #8 was the original, not the remake. (Such an iconic scene, I recognized it immediately without actually looking at the faces.) From your early hint, I was trying to figure out which Tchéky Karyo movie was #1.

And I further have to kick myself for not recognizing #3. I know I've seen it, although I do prefer the version with Vincent Price.

Reactions: caffeinated

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
More hints!

#5: In this bizarre Spike Jonze film, John Cusack plays a puppeteer who takes a filing job in a low-ceilinged office in Manhattan. Behind one of the filing cabinets in his work area, he finds a hidden door which is literally a portal into the mind of the actor pictured in the foreground of the screenshot.

#6: The girl pictured is nineteen-year-old Jay, who has casual sex in the back seat of a car while on a date. Her date then abducts her, and tells her that he has passed a curse to her through the intercourse, and that she will now be pursued by unknown supernatural force that can take the shape of any person. He warns that she must pass the curse to somebody else through the same means, otherwise she will be hunted down and killed by the stalker.

#7: An accidental cross-time radio link connects father and son across 30 years via an old HAM radio. The son tries to save his father's life, but then must fix the consequences.

#8: This movie is the 1993 American remake of Luc Besson's 1990 film La Femme Nikita. It tells the story of a strung out, murderous, female drug addict, (played by Bridget Fonda), who must succeed in being trained to become an assassin or face death as the consequence for her crimes.

Hope these helped! Answers coming tomorrow night.

movie-quiz_115_5-8.jpg

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Answer time!

#1: Miller's Crossing
In this Coen Brothers' prohibition-era gangster flick, Gabriel Byrne plays Tom Reagan, chief advisor to a mob boss. That's him, with his back to the camera in the screenshot, aiming to gun down Bernie Bernbaum, (played by John Turturro).

millers-crossing_3_sm.jpg

#2: Breakfast at Tiffany's
Blake Edwards directed this 1961 classic, which was based on a Truman Capote novella. It tells the story of a flighty Manhattan party girl, Holly Golightly, who becomes interested in a young man who has moved into her apartment building. He is a struggling writer who is fascinated by her quirkiness, and can see her hidden vulnerability.

breakfast-at-tiffanys_1_sm.jpg

#3: The Fly
This is a 1986 remake of a creepy, 1958 sci-fi classic in which a scientist has a horrific accident when he tries to use his newly invented teleportation device. The scientist in this 1986 version is played by Jeff Goldblum.

the-fly_2_sm.jpg

#4: I Heart Huckabees
Determined to solve the coincidence of seeing the same conspicuous stranger three times in a day, Albert hires a pair of existentialist detectives, who insist on spying on his everyday life while sharing their views on life and the nature of the universe. If it helps, left to right in the screenshot we have: Lily Tomlin, Jason Schwartzman, Dustin Hoffman, and Mark Wahlberg.

i-heart-huckabees_2_sm.jpg

#5: Being John Malkovich
In this bizarre Spike Jonze film, John Cusack plays a puppeteer who takes a filing job in a low-ceilinged office in Manhattan. Behind one of the filing cabinets in his work area, he finds a hidden door which is literally a portal into the mind of the actor pictured in the foreground of the screenshot.

being-john-malkovich_2_sm.jpg

#6: It Follows
The girl pictured is nineteen-year-old Jay, who has casual sex in the back seat of a car while on a date. Her date then abducts her, and tells her that he has passed a curse to her through the intercourse, and that she will now be pursued by unknown supernatural force that can take the shape of any person. He warns that she must pass the curse to somebody else through the same means, otherwise she will be hunted down and killed by the stalker.

it-follows_1_sm.jpg

#7: Frequency
An accidental, cross-time radio link connects father and son across 30 years via an old HAM radio. The son tries to save his father's life, but then must fix the consequences.

frequency_5_sm.jpg

#8: Point of No Return
This movie is the 1993 American remake of Luc Besson's 1990 film La Femme Nikita. It tells the story of a strung out, murderous, female drug addict, (played by Bridget Fonda), who must succeed in being trained to become an assassin or face death as the consequence for her crimes.

point-of-no-return_3_sm.jpg

As always, thanks for playing, guys! :)

caffeinated

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NH
Thanks for joining in and helping to keep the thread going, FantWriter.

Not to get all whiny, but I really don't know how many more of these Movie Quiz threads I'm going to bother posting. The participation has been trending downward over the past several months, and even the view counts have been consistently lower. In fact, participation in this whole FSUSA forum has been slowly dying off over the past year or so.

Anyway, I'll probably hold off for at least a few weeks before posting the next thread. After that, who knows...

FantWriter

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2010
Kentucky
Perhaps you could find a more active board? I was thinking that when you post the next one, I'd wait a day or two and start a separate thread in The Lounge to call attention to it. (It never hurts to advertise!)

If you do decide to let it go, all I can say is it's been great. Thanks a lot!

I do hope you don't decide to just pack it in -- maybe just take a break? There might be more activity/interest in the fall.

I should maybe add that if you might be interested in shifting to classic movies (pre-1965), I can suggest two movie forums where you might get a lot more interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread