Mt Baker Vapor fans, steeping question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
Ordered a few small bottles from MBV that looked interesting. I know they make their liquids fresh so some steeping is in order. Yah, I snuck a few drops already but I'm not going to judge based on that (though a couple were already pretty impressive).

But I was wondering what folks who order from them regularly find is a good amount of steeping time? I don't mean down to the minute but just roughly what do you find works for you? The date on mine is 4/18 so they're at six days but this my first "made to order" batch of juices and I want to give them enough time before even trying to decide anything about them.

Jethead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Hampton, Virginia
If you haven't opened the bottles yet IMHO they haven't started to steep yet. You have to get oxygen in the bottle to start the process.

I do not count shipping time as steeped time.

I shake the closed bottles vigorously when I first take them out of the package, then remove the lids and dripper caps and put the open bottles in a dark drawer.

As often as I remember, while they are still steeping, I put my thumb over the open cap and shake the crap out of the bottles then put them right back.

I steep for as long as I can possibly wait ESPECIALLY for tobacco flavors. At least 10 days for tobacco, less for other flavors.

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com

You mean the date on the bottle which seems to be the date they made the liquid? So counting from arrival (and opening them up and such) is better then.

And me, who is not known for patience. :)

(Maybe I could find somewhere to hide 'em from myself)

kbalz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2012
Kentucky Florence Y'All
If you haven't opened the bottles yet IMHO they haven't started to steep yet. You have to get oxygen in the bottle to start the process.

I shake the closed bottles vigorously when I first take them out of the package, then remove the lids and dripper caps and put the open bottles in a dark drawer.

As often as I remember, while they are still steeping, I put my thumb over the open cap and shake the crap out of the bottles then put them right back.

I steep for as long as I can possibly wait ESPECIALLY for tobacco flavors. At least 10 days for tobacco, less for other flavors.

Oxygen has nothing to do with the flavor (aka steeping) Oxygen will oxidize the nicotine in the juice. Somewhere in time these two processes combined into 1 .

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
It really just depends on the flavors you picked. The darker ones tend to take a bit longer....sometimes up to 2 weeks to really blend. The caramel, butterscotch flavors 7-10 days usually. I leave the caps off and try to shake them often and vigorously!

I know it varies and it's more art than science but this is my first batch of "made to order" so I wanted to get some basic idea. Don't want to jump the gun and misjudge the juice.

Only two darker ones: one tobacco type and a Bananas Foster (which is a great dessert, wanna see if they pulled that flavor off). Then a couple of fruits and an "ice" kind. All clear. And they tossed in a tea flavor I'm not familiar with. Those are clear type liquids. So at least middle next week before I'll even attempt one on of the clearer juices...

kbalz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2012
Kentucky Florence Y'All
I know it varies and it's more art than science but this is my first batch of "made to order" so I wanted to get some basic idea. Don't want to jump the gun and misjudge the juice.

Only two darker ones: one tobacco type and a Bananas Foster (which is a great dessert, wanna see if they pulled that flavor off). Then a couple of fruits and an "ice" kind. All clear. And they tossed in a tea flavor I'm not familiar with. Those are clear type liquids. So at least middle next week before I'll even attempt one on of the clearer juices...

Sometimes I find some juice to taste just fine when I first receive them. Other times I feel like they need to sit awhile. Try them if they taste good then vape them . If not then let them sit . Good luck

Jethead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Hampton, Virginia
Sorry, was a bit unclear....

I START the clock on steeping the minute I put the bottles in a dark drawer with the lids off in my own home.

You mean the date on the bottle which seems to be the date they made the liquid? So counting from arrival (and opening them up and such) is better then.

And me, who is not known for patience. :)

(Maybe I could find somewhere to hide 'em from myself)

Jethead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Hampton, Virginia
I'm a firm believer that you really cant steep to long....

i usually steep for 3-5 weeks before i even touch anything from MT baker some of their fruit blends take shorter time but i find that the 4 week mark is just the right amount of time for that perfect flavor

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
Sorry, was a bit unclear....

I START the clock on steeping the minute I put the bottles in a dark drawer with the lids off in my own home.

Nah, I got that. When they showed up, I opened 'em up and put them in the cabinet where the liquids live. Toward the back, in the dark where they wait.

(Which suddenly sounds a bit creepy... "In the dark they wait until the fullness of time!")

Aheadatime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2013
USA
I generally leave the caps/drippers off for a full 24 hours, than recap them and just store them away for a week or more. I have plenty of juices that are good and steeped right now, so I try to be very patient with new flavors, regardless of vendor. Out of my 25ish bottles of ejuice, only 5 have been around for less than 3 weeks.

With that said, some of MBVs stuff is good right out of the mailbox. But just about every juice they offer benefits from steeping, as is the case with 99% of vendors/flavors.

ThunderPumpkin

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2013
South America
If you haven't opened the bottles yet IMHO they haven't started to steep yet. You have to get oxygen in the bottle to start the process. I do not count shipping time as steeped time.

I second the idea that unopened bottles don't really, truly steep.

Since my orders have to travel internationally, I get them after 3-4 weeks. During that time they do steep somewhat, there's no doubt about it -- but they only steep partially. The key really does seem to be in leaving the bottles with the caps off for a while (I do it for 5-7 days). That apparently lets any alcohols evaporate, which is key to eliminating perfumey tastes and other unpleasantness. And that seems to trigger the main steeping process.

The difference between my juices when I get them (3-4 weeks in the unopened bottles) and after proper steeping (1 week with the caps off and another 1-2 weeks with them on, shaking occasionally) is always notable, and in some cases it's night and day.

VAPN STUF

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Hm... guess I'll resist temptation a few days longer. Got impatient with a new juice once and it was quite the train wreck. Ironically, now it's one of my favorites. :)

mkbilbo, sorta in the same boat, just tried some peanut butter from MTVB & it was nothing to write home about. I did the same thing with Tuscan cocoa from HHV, both have been steeping a few days. I'll revisit them after another week.

I have 3 empty bottles, I washed out and saved from MOV, I put a small amount in my Pro Tank & if it's not ready I pour the remaining liquid in 1 of the empty bottles. I haven't been vaping all that long, so thats my method as of now.

Should be receiving some NLV tomorrow. I am on my last tank of red drop and the rest of my juices aren't ready yet, so I have my dog on attack mode.....mailman better have my juice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread