MTL drip tip keeps clogging up and juice in mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
Yes, I'm using the small drip tip that came with the tank. I don't remember having this problem the first few days of vaping, but now it's a constant problem. I vape between 12 and 15 watts, but I set my temp between 350 to 390f to help eliminate my lips getting burnt from the hot drip tip with a 4 to 5 second draw.

Might this be a TC problem rather than a tank problem?

Sometimes running at a too-low temp in TC mode will make the liquid boil and splatter rather than being fully and immediately vaporized into tiny droplets. Try upping your temp a bit. Go up in 5 or 10 degree increments up a max of 420 or so and see if it makes a difference. The stock MD tips should adequately protect your lips.

Small variations in coil ohm readings can also make a big difference TC performance - especially with SS coils. Have you tried double-checking the ohm reading on another device?

You might also try upping your TC maximum watt setting a bit. If I like how a SS coil vapes at a certain wattage in power mode, I set my maximum watts in TC mode at least a few watts higher than that. Most of my coils run well in power mode between 12 to 15 watts, so I set my maximum watts in TC mode to 20 watts.

Last edited:

Simplejack

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2011
Washington
Good info there. Thank you.
That made me remember when I first got this mod and was not having this issue, I was running in power mode Watts and not TC.
So now I turned off temp control and will just be adjusting the watts and see how that works.

The ohms are reading about where they should be using the vape tool app. 1 ohm.
I think when i first made a coil I was making them at 0.6 ohms.

If this works out better and go back to TC, I'll do what you suggested and see how that works.

Right now, I have it set to 15 watts in power mode and not getting my lips burned. Will see how many times I got to blow out the tip today.
I'll report back with results.

borno

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2019
land of pleasant living
I haven't had that problem but I'm using 3mm 6 wrap spaced kanthal on a tube mech with rayon so I wick it pretty tight. My merlin spits and pops when the wick is too loose. I've only had the md for a couple weeks but it's my favorite. I put on a wider tip lately and switched to the larger honeycomb air thingy.

Reactions: stols001

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
Good info there. Thank you.
That made me remember when I first got this mod and was not having this issue, I was running in power mode Watts and not TC.
So now I turned off temp control and will just be adjusting the watts and see how that works.

The ohms are reading about where they should be using the vape tool app. 1 ohm.
I think when i first made a coil I was making them at 0.6 ohms.

If this works out better and go back to TC, I'll do what you suggested and see how that works.

Right now, I have it set to 15 watts in power mode and not getting my lips burned. Will see how many times I got to blow out the tip today.
I'll report back with results.

Which of the airflow disc options are you using? I remember reading reviews of the MD somewhere and I think I saw one person who used the slotted airflow disc under the coil and he or she had problems with it. I don't remember what the problem was, because only one person reported it and I don't use the slot part of the disc. I only use the smallest airflow disc, the one that has about three small holes, so I wasn't worried about it.

Simplejack

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2011
Washington
Right now, I'm using the small 3 hole disc. Usually run the slot.
I'm thinking I like the slot better.

Power mode using 15 to 12 watts is making no change in this issue.
Now trying TC at 400 at 18 watts and see how that does.
After this, I'm going to try a different gauge and lower ohms and see if that helps..

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    probably losing roughly 8 drops of liquid per day in just condensation

Your condensation is not your eliquid - they are 2 different things. It's likely the condensation is forming from vapor "stuck" in your tip after you are done vaping and as it cools, it condenses. Try a quick blow into your tip after you are done vaping and see if that tends to at least cause you to have to clear out your tip so often.

What I mean by a quick blow is kinda like when you were a kid playing cowboy with your toy gun. You take a shot then you blow into the barrel of your toy gun, like you saw in the movies.

ll_barrel_smoke26.jpg

If this fixes your problem or lessens it, then you could be able to deduce that the problem is the bore of the tip is too narrow.

Last edited:

Simplejack

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 26, 2011
    Washington
    Yes. That's what I been doing for about a week or so and that seems to help. As soon as I taste eliquid at the tip, just blow down the tip and all seems good after that. I know it's not the new eliquid that's in the tank that's going into the tip, but the condensation is brown as the eliquid and taste the same, so I call it the eliquid.
    50/50 blend seems to do it more then my 70/30 blends. Might not make a difference, but it seems like it for now. Still happens on both, but with the small mtl tips, I'm sure it's unavoidable with all blends.

50/50 blend pops more also, but I refilled the tank with 70/30 blend and it stopped popping.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    So have you tried returning to the slot yet because you said you started with that and it was better? Sometimes it's not condensation it is genuinely a wicking or air problem causing juice to rise into the drip tip. From your descriptions it sort of sounds like that, not so much condensation.

IDK I don't have the tank.... Just figured well, why not go back to what worked?

Anna

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread