Status
Not open for further replies.

THeGAMe

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2010
Issaquah, WA
dx.ourtime.us
Yeah, me too weather..
Just something I remember from the yowin years, lol..

Ive got a 88 LesPaul Studio. My baby!
My accustic is a Epiphone, not sure what style.

Ive got a Guitar Center house brand- Raven 100w, and a Digitech Rp50 for effects.

My Peavey Vypyr 100w is in the shop. They are basicly rebuilding the amp from the ground up cuz they mass produced it with some flawed batches. Its got some sweet effects on it, when it works...
Ive also got the Sanpera II foot controller to go with it. Should have that back before the end of the month.

PG, nice list there!
Looks like you got this stuff down. Any tips and involvement is appreciated! Same goes with everyone else!

pianoguy

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2009
Apple Valley, MN
Thanks! It's not too terribly complicated, though you can spend countless hours twisting knobs in search of the perfect mix. My technical knowledge of how all this stuff works would fit on the head of a pin, but I've done enough of them to be able to muddle my way through pretty well. I'll try to rattle off a few things off the top of my head:

First off, you need some recording and mixing software. I use Adobe Audition (formerly Cool Edit), and there are lots of other choices out there. I think a lot of Mac folks use GarageBand, but I don't know a whole lot about it. Audacity is free and works pretty well - you can find it here:

Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder

For Windows folks, optimally you'll want a decent sound card, such as those offered by M-Audio or E-MU (which seems to have been acquired by Creative?), or even a higher-end Sound Blaster. A lot of folks with laptops use an external sound card box, as they often come with lousy sound cards with latency problems. But you can give it a try with whatever sound card came with your machine and see if you're satisfied with the results.

Typically someone acts as the producer, starting with a framework of some kind, such as a mix with drums and bass and maybe rhythm guitar. The framework may even contain a click track if needed, which can be removed in the final mix. An mp3 of this framework mix is then posted or sent to the other players. The players contribute their individual tracks, synced with the framework track, to the producer, who then puts together the mix. So, a contributor would start out by placing the framework in Track 1 of the recording/mixing software, and then play along with it, recording on Track 2. Typically people record at CD quality (44.1kHz). To produce a file that is synced with the framework, you then mute Track 1 and do a mixdown. Syncing in this fashion makes life much easier for the producer, who then doesn't need to fiddle around with the timing for the start of the track. In a lot of cases folks just send high-quality mp3's (160kbp or higher) to the producer, but it is nice to use wav files if you have the room and bandwidth to share them, as compressing the file multiple times isn't optimal for sound quality. Make sure to record your tracks at a level that doesn't clip, leaving your producer some headroom.

It's usually best to let the producer handle the effects. particularly reverb. It can be a nightmare trying to get multiple tracks with different reverbs on them sound like everyone is in the same room. So sending your track to the producer "dry" will save him or her a lot of grief.

There are tons of plug-ins available for effects - I have some VST plug-ins that are amazing. Aside from the great selection of reverbs, one of my favorites is the Multi-Maximizer. Most home-brew recordings are much lower volume than a commercial recording - the Multi-Maximizer allows you to boost the volume substantially without clipping.

As a side note, if you are doing a cover that will mimic an original recording, the original recording can act as the framework. Just make sure that everyone is using the same exact mp3 of the original.

It is usually a common courtesy for the producer to run the final mix past the players to get a thumbs-up or thumbs-down before putting it out there for all the world to hear. The players may have some great input to tweak the mix.

One of my favorite efforts was what was referred to as an "inverted cyberjam". In this case, the producer sent out just an original guitar melody, and the object was to build a backing track for it. I was absolutely amazed at how different the results were - it was a very cool exercise.

pianoguy

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2009
Apple Valley, MN
Just for grins I had to hunt down that inverted jam - it was almost 7 years ago. Here's the guitar melody:

http://bradprestonmusic.com/Music/buckster-inverted_melody.mp3

Here are some of the results - all wildly different, though we all started with the same melody. The first one is the one I thought was most clever, the second one is mine, and the last one is by the songwriter:

http://bradprestonmusic.com/Music/buckster-inverted_rusty2.mp3
http://bradprestonmusic.com/Music/buckster-inverted_brad.mp3
http://bradprestonmusic.com/Music/buckster-inverted_kerc2.mp3
http://bradprestonmusic.com/Music/buckster-inverted_buckster.mp3

THeGAMe

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2010
Issaquah, WA
dx.ourtime.us
TY Piano.. D/l'ed all of um, and will jump on them ASAP..

(cry) My Vypyr amp is still in the shop. 4mo now :evil:

On fools day I eat flesh and drink blood...

I have everything I need cept for the amp with good effects. Ive got everything hooked up n ready to get it back.

almost rdy!

Hit me up for the FTP upload info!

This sounds fun! :thumbs: Unfortunately I'm pretty busy most of the time. :(
I'd like to jump in at some point when you guys get something goin. Here's a little backstory.

Music is my life!!!!
I'm a freelance Engineer, Producer, Composer, and Studio Drummer. I can hold my own a bit on Guitar, Bass, and a little Piano too.

I own my own studio but I only really use it for my own commercial music, friend's bands, and of course almost anyone who has money and wants to cut a record!! :p I usually work out of bigger studios.

I've been in several bands throughout my life, the last one was Jack Left Town.

I made all the recordings for Jack Left Town as well as my fair share of the writing. When we disbanded I decided to move on to something that actually paid money (what a concept :)) I guess I would call it growing up :nah:.

I'm also endorsed by Orange County Drum & Percussion.

Geez do i sound like a pretentious ......... at this point? :yawn:

If you guys would like to hear more stuff I'd be happy to give you another link, but I'll leave it at this for now cause I'm beginning to feel like a jackass.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread