Must Start DIY E-liquid Making ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

steampoweredheart

Mar 17, 2014
vaping off the shelf e-liquids for 7yrs now as a cigarette survivor.
in a previous post I talked about how I was thinking I was going to have to quit vaping because any and all branded/off the shelf juices seem to be affecting my health (tight chest, coughing, nausea, etc every single time I vape) lately.

First I would like to apologize to the amazingly kind people that posted in response to my last thread. I never replied to any of your very thoughtful suggestions because of the chaos in my personal life these last several months, but be assured! I read, appreciated, and took into consideration ALL of them and can't thank you enough. It really showed me how awesome and caring this community truly is. I just never got around to saying it at the time because I'm working with an android and still in the process of getting a good computer on top of all thats been going on with me. Thank you

Now on to what I need help with desperately this time!

I need suggestions on how to make my own DIY juice from home.
I seem to be very very sensitive to certain flavorings, kinds/potency of nicotine, pg/vg brands and I want to make very low dose nicotine mixtures (like maybe 1/1.5mg) (I use 3mg now but want to go down in strength anyway)

So..

1. What is an excellent high quality nicotine concentrate i can get online?

2. What and where is an excellent high quality, tried and trusted site for concentrated flavorings?

3. What is an excellent high quality PG available online?

4. And same for VG

And how do I make my own juice correctly? I'm assuming I will need bottles to mix in but what sizes do you think will be best for testing mixtures while I try to find the perfect blend? How do I not waste supplies too badly in the trial and error process? What is the best pg/vg ratio for diy?

I need to get all of the necessary supplies ordered like NOW before I have to order another name brand bottle online and potentially suffer for another week with a $25 120ml name brand that I'm starting to suspect almost definitely has cheaper ingredients in its makeup that could for sure be the problem.

I'm also concerned its vaping in general thats bothering me cause I'm just super sensitive (a common case in several aspects of my body/health) but I have to find out and making my own seems like a great way to really know what I'm vaping and figure out what exactly is hurting me.

(Ps: had extensive allergy testing done for more than one reason recently and it turns out I'm not even slightly allergic to PG so thats ruled out. Was thinking that could be the culprit for a good while but nope.)

My vape setup for years:
25mm Terk V2 RDA with dual fused claptons (2x26/36 full kanthal) 3mm @ .25ohm 75-85watt on an Aegis Legend. CB prime.

DaveOno

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
Dutchess County, New York
First, get a small digital scale. I got one from Amzon for $17. It is easier and much more accurate to mix by weight, and not by volume.
Next, google "e liquid recipes" and use this ejuice calculator.
It is excellent, giving you volumes, percentages and weight. You can save your recipes, and easily change a recipe for less nic, or smaller or larger quantities.
Get a blunt tip 3ml syringe. Use this just for adding the nic.
The flavors I can usually just drop what I need.
But for the pg and the thick vg, consider a squeeze bottle, similar to mustard and ketchup dispensers.

I'll let others advise you on where to get stuff. I'd think you start smaller, get a small amount of 100mg/ml nic, and a liter or a half liter of each vg and pg. Just to see if you can do this, access the quality and your compatibility of them.

Then you can go bigger. I like pharmaceutical grade Kosher for vg and pg.

And you can make 120ml of juice for under $3. Yes, a large upfront cost, then it pays back quick.

With almost anything vaping, great returns on investment.

Good luck on your quest!!!

:)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Um if you want inexpensive but perfectly serviceable I might try Heartland. Bit of a nic smell (and maybe taste but I have mixed many things with it, and it's good if you ask me.) Probably the least expensive you are gong to get.

Armor nic has NO smell to it (when I was rebottling it) but I haven't vaped it yet. For longer term storage if you move up the money chain a bit you can get already in glass bottles which can save a fair amount of hassle when it comes to rebottling. So.... IDK.

Everyone seems to have their favorite. Check out the DIY forum many of your questions will be answered.

Good luck, DIY (after a bit of start up heartache and the learning curve) is sweet. Infinite options... Make it how you like it.

A lot of folk seem to like tractor supply or the Apothecary store for VG/PG. I would not know. I am still on my first orders of VG and PEG400 (that is because I can't handle much PG, not because YOU want it but I'm sensitive to it.) I ordered 2.5 gallons of VG and 2 gallons of PEG400 from what is now River Supply (and currently closed.) Still perfectly fine, BETTER EVEN honestly the uh, VG as it came in a single vat and now I can actually lift it. Stored at room temp in a Dark place for several years.

Anna

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
A lot or research, it was for me, to start DIY. For testing recipes I used 5ml plastic bottles. I wrote a number on the bottle that corresponded to my notes on the recipe and date made.

I often made three or 6 of the recipe, just in different flavor amounts. For a Strawberry and Cream, three different levels (high, medium, low) of strawberry and 3 different levels of Cream.

The 5ml amounts were so that I could fill a tank and vape it throughout the day. Sometimes the topper just has to get sufficiently saturated, and the biggie, my sense of taste at the moment. Surprisingly, our sense of taste can vary a lot throughout the day, especially when food and drink recently consumed are considered.

Now, consider that there are different brands of Strawberry and many different creams. That is a lot of writing notes from reading and asking here. Even brands of nic as discussed above.

Doing DIY is a lot like being a chef. A lot of testing. I ran out of my 100 x 5ml bottles several times.

Its a cool hobby.

Last edited:

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
Vaping off the shelf e-liquids for 7yrs now as a cigarette survivor.
in a previous post I talked about how I was thinking I was going to have to quit vaping because any and all branded/off the shelf juices seem to be affecting my health (tight chest, coughing, nausea, etc every single time I vape) lately.

First I would like to apologize to the amazingly kind people that posted in response to my last thread. I never replied to any of your very thoughtful suggestions because of the chaos in my personal life these last several months, but be assured! I read, appreciated, and took into consideration ALL of them and can't thank you enough. It really showed me how awesome and caring this community truly is. I just never got around to saying it at the time because I'm working with an android and still in the process of getting a good computer on top of all thats been going on with me. Thank you

I seem to be very very sensitive to certain flavorings, kinds/potency of nicotine, pg/vg brands and I want to make very low dose nicotine mixtures (like maybe 1/1.5mg) (I use 3mg now but want to go down in strength anyway)

So..

2. What and where is an excellent high quality, tried and trusted site for concentrated flavorings?

4. And same for VG

And how do I make my own juice correctly? I'm assuming I will need bottles to mix in but what sizes do you think will be best for testing mixtures while I try to find the perfect blend? How do I not waste supplies too badly in the trial and error process? What is the best pg/vg ratio for diy?

I need to get all of the necessary supplies ordered like NOW before I have to order another name brand bottle online and potentially suffer for another week with a $25 120ml name brand that I'm starting to suspect almost definitely has cheaper ingredients in its makeup that could for sure be the problem.

I'm also concerned its vaping in general thats bothering me cause I'm just super sensitive (a common case in several aspects of my body/health) but I have to find out and making my own seems like a great way to really know what I'm vaping and figure out what exactly is hurting me.

(Ps: had extensive allergy testing done for more than one reason recently and it turns out I'm not even slightly allergic to PG so thats ruled out. Was thinking that could be the culprit for a good while but nope.)

My vape setup for years:
25mm Terk V2 RDA with dual fused claptons (2x26/36 full kanthal) 3mm @ .25ohm 75-85watt on an Aegis Legend. CB prime.

You are getting lots of good advice right here, but you might want to go to our DIY Eliquid forum,
DIY E-Liquid, and check out the following threads there:

Mixing By Weight: Basics 101

DIY Getting started cheat sheet - good information gathered from ECF

Nicotine Comparisons

Long Term Nic Storage

Random DIY mixing and More

I've heard several vapers say vaping high levels of VG gives them the tightness-in-the-chest feeling. Given your gear, and the fact that most commercially available e juice is at least 70% VG, it's likely the juices you've used have a high level of VG. I think you should try switching to a lower percentage of VG in your juice. I have no idea how much VG you will need for your RDA to work properly, however. There are some new MTL RDAs out there, but I don't know anything about them or about what percentage of VG they require. Perhaps someone else can help you with that. My best recommendation is to try using an MTL RTA and to make juice for it that is 60% PG & 40 % VG or an even higher percentage of PG. I make myself juices that are 70% PG. See how you do with 60 % PG and then you can either go with a higher or lower percentage of PG. If you decide to try an MTL RTA, let us know and many people here will have recommendations for you. My favorite MTL RTA is the Hellvape MD RTA.

You mentioned trying to reduce your nic level and while that's good, I don't think you should try that right now. You have too much else going on. Cutting down on nic is hard. Why don't you try to figure out how to make e juice and figure out what VG/PG ratio works best for you first? There's plenty of time to work on cutting down your nic!

I love the house nic from Heartland and I usually buy their VG and PG too, but they only sell the 100 mg nic in liter bottles. I suspect your issue is not with the quality of the nic, but with VG. If you want to try nic in smaller bottles first to see if you like it you might try some from Wizard Labs or Nude Nicotine.

Good luck!! Let us know if we can help!!

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL

So..

4. And same for VG

My vape setup for years:
For that rda and build I'd mix max vg with 5-8% distilled water. As far as flavor brands we use most of the same brands the commercial juices have in them. If you have the funds I'd suggest trying ultras (high concentration flavors you only need anywhere from 0.10-2% of). Flavorah, Medicine Flower are good brands and easy to resource. They are expensive but most of their flavors you only need 1-5 drops per 30ml. ELR Recipes is an excellent site to learn from and have a great beginners guide for getting the most from the both the forum and recipe/calculator sides.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA

So..

4. And same for VG

My vape setup for years:

I know it's no what you want to hear, but it sounds like it's time to make a serious effort to quit vaping and NOT go back to smoking.

Get it out of your head that you need nicotine. Also forget the lies that that nicotine addiction is worse than heroine addiction. That's a bunch of BS spread by anti-tobacco organizations to help demonize tobacco at all costs.

In fact, you are not even likely addicted to nicotine even half as much as you are addicted to the act of vaping/smoking.

You are human therefore you are highly adaptable and capable of anything you set your mind to. Don't think you can't, think YOU CAN!

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    To get started quickly you could try one shots. You get a bottle of flavoring already mixed, no recipes to worry about. That's how I started. OSDIY has some good ones. If you let us know what kind of flavors you like we could recommend some one shots. Might not give you a flavor that is perfect for you but you could have something vapeable pretty fast. Keep you going while you experiment with recipes.

If you think you might be sensitive to some flavorings it might take a lot of time to find out what works. Maybe start with something simple like straight menthol. Not very exciting but easy, just add a few drops to the bottle. Or even use unflavored for a while.

Everyone figures out their own way of mixing. I started with syringes. Now I just use measuring cylinders. Not super accurate but it's simple, at least after you figure out recipes and start mixing large bottles..

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
    May 1, 2020
    Edinburgh, Scotland, UK

4. And same for VG

I'm sorry but I can't help with the suppliers, I'm based in UK so I doubt my suppliers would be relevant to you. What I would suggest though woud be to:
    -choose a few different suppliers of flavorings, order small samples from each, and see which ones your body accepts better.
    - test pure flavours first. And if you make juices containing different flavors, make small batches and test each before you make a huge bottle of something that's going to make you suffer.
    - try using smaller amount of flavourings. like half of what the recipe calls for, e.g. 10% instead of 20%. See how it goes. Some people vape unflavored juices, have you thought about trying? If you vape unflavored and your symptoms persist, and you excluded PG allergy, then you can suspect VG or the Nic. Nickel is an allergen as well, same as chromium, aluminum, hell, even iron can cause reactions. The last 3 are present in your kanthal wire. How much and what compounds of each of them you inhale in the vape due to oxidation and reactions with the components of your e juice, hard to say. You need to consider everything when it comes to allergies.
    -PG and VG- when buying these, pay attention to purity. When I was buying mine, for example PG, I found stuff ranging from minimum 99% pure to minimum 99.8% pure. So technically, the lowest had up to 1% of something else than PG in it, the purest had maximum 0.2% of something else inside. I've no idea what the contaminants would be. Anyway, go for the purest possible.
    - try different nicotine types. Freebase, nic salts. Maybe it's the nicotine form that causes your issues, you never know
    - Think about storing all your liquids, nic and bases in glass bottles. There is no plastic in the whole world that doesn't leach into the liquids stored in containers made of it. Plastics used in food industry are generally safe, meaning leaching is too small to cause issues to a normal human being, and the chemicals that leach are generally harmless. But if you are allergic to any of the chemicals leaching, even a trace amount can be causing issues. Glass would be a much safer option.

I'm allergic to a lot of things myself, and my allergies caused asthma when I was a kid. I'm not saying you are allergic, you might have simply become sensitive to some components of juices through prolonged exposure. Hope you find a solution. Good luck!

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
    May 1, 2020
    Edinburgh, Scotland, UK

So..

4. And same for VG

My vape setup for years:

I also read about people who experienced sore/dry throat and cough and started cutting their juices with distilled water (for example 5%, has to be distilled), and who reported that their bad symptoms went away since or became much less of a nuisance.

CagedSpam

ECF Veteran
    Mar 12, 2015
    FoPo, Oregon
    So just some rambling thoughts here. Looking at your setup maybe consider trying a MTL RDA or RTA if you think that would satisfy your "smoking" style. My reasoning is if you are sensitive it would likely reduce heat and overall dosage quantity.

All things are poison, and nothing is without poison, the dosage alone makes it so a thing is not a poison. —Paracelsus

Good luck in your journey

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Get it out of your head that you need nicotine. Also forget the lies that that nicotine addiction is worse than heroine addiction. That's a bunch of BS spread by anti-tobacco organizations to help demonize tobacco at all costs.

I don't mean to sound ah, anti-motivational here, but frankly I don't think you have much business telling a person what they need AND what they are capable of.

IF YOU want to show the world that you don't need Nic OR VAPE, well why don't you go out and contribute to the world of successful cold turkey-ers on your own time???

YOU do not know this person and it is frankly insulting to read your screed. Guess what? I freaking TOOK suboxone for about 7 years, for a pill addiction not a ...... addiction. I was LUCKY only in the sense that pills are purer so I had less physical damage. I was LUCKY in the sense that I got to live through that 96 day half life detox, and let me tell you I could NOT work for 60 days (with meds to help withdrawal) and could not do much but MOAN, lay in bed, vaguely consume some liquids and foods and stagger to the bathroom the first 30. IT WAS HORRIBLE.

Switching from smoking to vaping was much harder.

The LIFETIME rates (yes that means no relapsing) of opiatews are QUITE a bit less than tobacco or nicotine.

I had a brain primed to ADORE tobacco from the start. ADHD so nic got me through college and my master's probably. Tendency towards anxiety, depression, and anger: all those lovely MAOI -a and -b substances and whatnot.

I spent my ENTIRE life the summer after 18 trying and failing to quit (except pregnant and nursing and I think that was God's gift to my KID frankly) because it was not easy then either. I tried everything I could THINK of. I chewed nic gum ONLY for 6 months..

Look. I get you think this person "may not really be addicted' or "maybe there was a time I only smoked two cigs a day (there was such a time for me and it was HARDER, the less tobacco you smoke, the lovelier it is) or maybe it is just TOO much vape? Maybe it's not YOUR CALL.

YOU are not this person you are not in charge of this person's life, and you Don't Know Not for Sure. This is not a group of MADD. Okay? We don't run around saying who should quit, smoke or vape unless they are underage. In which case they would not be here.

No offense it is just REALLY insulting and it is not YOUR choice. Maybe you should worry about your OWN vape habit, really.

Anna

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
    May 1, 2020
    Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
    I know it's no what you want to hear, but it sounds like it's time to make a serious effort to quit vaping and NOT go back to smoking.

In fact, you are not even likely addicted to nicotine even half as much as you are addicted to the act of vaping/smoking.

You are human therefore you are highly adaptable and capable of anything you set your mind to. Don't think you can't, think YOU CAN!
    Quite an extreme thing to hear from a guy who's been here for like a decade. Maybe the guy should explore other options? you know there are other options man, before you actually have to quit.... allergies to a particular vape component, sensitivity to certain pg/vg ratio's... cmon man you're the old timer, try to help the guy

Reactions: stols001

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I'm not the one suffering health problems from vaping.

Y'all think I'm off base or outta line for suggesting the most rational remedy and want me to "help"? OK. I'll help. Here ya go...

Stop inhaling stuff that is hurting your health (your admission).

Make and use nicotine toothpicks instead. That way you get your nic fix and a hand-to-mouth fix, too. At least you're not inhaling that which has been landing you in the hospital/doctors' offices, by your own admission.

There are threads on this forum an don the internet in general on how to make them.

Last edited:

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
    May 1, 2020
    Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
    It might be a relatively small issue that can be fixed easily. I'm lactose- intolerant. No milk, no soft cheese etc. But I can enjoy milkshakes, creamy sauces, different cheeses... lacto-free milk, bioactive creme-fraiche (where bacteria processes lactose beforehand so it's good for me), mature cheeses, bio youghurt, goats milk... I've learned to enjoy dairy regardless of my lactose intolerance, as long as I stick to certain products and rules...

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
    May 1, 2020
    Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
    I'm not the one suffering health problems from vaping.

Y'all think I'm off base or outta line for suggesting the most rational remedy and want me to "help"? OK. I'll help. Here ya go...

Stop inhaling stuff that is hurting your health (your admission).

Make and use nicotine toothpicks instead. That way you get your nic fix and a hand-to-mouth fix, too. At least you're not inhaling that which has been landing you in the hospital/doctors' offices, by your own admission.

There are threads on this forum an don the internet in general on how to make them.
    Nah I think the guy deserves another chance at vapng if he really likes it and should explore other options before quitting completely. If he, for example, tries flavorless vapes and they work fine for him with no issues, then why not?

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    • Informative
    Reactions: stols001
    Status
    Not open for further replies.