RDA Mutation X V2 + SMY God 180 build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dissonance

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2013
Dayton, OH, USA
So I recently obtained a SMY God 180w box mod in a trade, it's the first regulated mod I've used since my ol' MVP 2.0. Typically I vape on my MXv2 at ~.08-.14Ω, never have an issue with hot spots or burnt hits... But this mod is annoying the .... out of me. Having to build at .5Ω+ is DEFINITELY not what I'm used to (I forgot how hard 28g was to work with haha) and I've spent probably a good 4-5 hours today rebuilding this thing... The best build I can come up with (dual twisted 28g) still starts burning and getting random hot spots around 50-60 watts, most of the others have a leg start glowing (either pos or neg, I've tried wrapping my wick around it and splitting the tails... Still glows under the cotton >.>) around 40-50 watts. Any tips for a good build to put in here that I can actually crank the power up on? I'm getting ready to go back to my mech haha

Dissonance

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2013
Dayton, OH, USA
I just picked up some 26g yesterday, before I was trying to work with 28g kanthal, 24g N80, and .5x.1 ribbon kanthal :p Even with the 26g the same thing is happening tho =/ On one of the coils, the positive lead is glowing right by the post even tho I have the wick wrapped around it (You can see it glowing from under the cotton) if I turn it up past 60 watts. It's pissing me off, since I can take the same coil and throw it on my friends mod and it handles 6v (.59Ω coil, comes to 61 watts) from his without an issue =/ Probably going to sell this mod if I can't find a coil that can at least handle 100w+

Dissonance

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2013
Dayton, OH, USA
26g is not thick enough. If you really want to crank it up, multiple, large diameter, thick wire coils. Forget fancy, go bigger.

That'd be great, but even 9 wraps of 26g around a 3mm mandrel dual coil is .59Ω =/ With 24g N80 I'd need 15 wraps to hit the .5Ω minimum, which I'm pretty sure doesn't fit in my RDA :p

Dissonance

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2013
Dayton, OH, USA
26g is not thick enough. If you really want to crank it up, multiple, large diameter, thick wire coils. Forget fancy, go bigger.

Actually I stand corrected, just put in a 16 wrap 3mm ID 24g N80 dual coil and it just barely fits haha. 1 more wrap and I'd be touching the topcap :p This one is working great, using it at 120 watts atm without an issue :) It's spitting juice like a .... tho >.<

its your coils , or your wick thats causing that issue. Make sure your coils are full contact, glowing from inside out when dry burned, you should not get hot legs on well made and wicked coils.

Fairly certain this isn't the issue, I'm far from a newbie when it comes to building coils... And I never do get hot legs when I run in the .1-.2Ω range on a mech. The coils are the same diameter (3mm), so I'm using the same amount of wick as I always do...

Dissonance

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2013
Dayton, OH, USA
OK, so I've messed with it a little bit and I finally found the perfect build for anyone else having this issue... Dual diamond coils, 24g n80, 20 wraps each (Or 5, depending on how you look at it) around a 2.5mm mandrel, comes out to ~ .58Ω. This is the only build I've been able to find so far that doesn't start burning at 180 watts, and at 180 watts the flavor and vapor are insane. Just make sure your coils are lifted into the airflow (otherwise the bottom coils will boil the liquid in the well), but not high enough to touch the topcap. It's a tight fit but possible :D

csayce

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I've had a god180 since they were released and I've used the Dark Horse the mute x V1 and the Doge all original using 24gage around a 3mm bit and no fancy coil building tricks just a simple coil with Japanese cotton making sure my wicks are plenty soaked and lots of juice around the base and I'm able to toot @180w with out getting burnt cotton I've done this as proof with others there but every one else who has tried has had the dreaded burn and it's simple why it's because they are afraid to suck hard and you really do need to just throw balls to the wind and suck hard you need to get air flowing over the coils fast or they will heat up so quick and you'll get burnt cotton.

But at the end of the day I've learned to say fnck that there's no pleasure in it there's no flavour the vapour lasts a few seconds the juice last for even a shorter amount of time it's just too much power to enjoy it at all there really is no point the batteries only last a short time VTC5's and then you need to unscrew the back to replace them it's not just a simple flip the back off with magnets not even a sliding door but tiny .... screws that are waiting for the heads to get mangled retrospectively I do wish I'd spent my money on some thing else.

I use my Sigelei 100w more than I do my 180 now and I use my Smok mini RDA at 1.2ohms and still get great vapour and I can taste the juice I'm vaping and no dreaded burnt cotton either.

I say go back to higher ohms enjoy the flavour and if you want to chuck clouds do it at a wattage were your not going to get instant pain in the throat i.e. 180w pain.

This is my opinion.

P.s. By the way high VG isn't any good when trying to vape at extreme wattage it won't wick fast enough this is I found out through my own experience.
Best of luck with your goal.

Sent from the depths and the darkest part of the Internet.

Sleepy Dog Lee

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2014
Powell River BC
Mutation X V2 with Cloupor T-8 @150 watts 95%Vg 5% Flavour(Murdock's Agent Orange 50/50/pg/vg) Dual Coil 26g kanthal

The vape is warm, not hot. No dry burns if wicked properly. It is so thick that it feels like milk when exhaling. Even a tiny bit of straight flavoring thins the VG enough to wick along with however long a pull I take. For me at least. Once you have the power and a good rda (like a plume veil or mutation) it's all about wicking and airflow. You can do it!

Last edited:

johndoe1027

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2014
NC, USA
Mutation X V2 with Cloupor T-8 @150 watts 95%Vg 5% Flavour(Murdock's Agent Orange 50/50/pg/vg) Dual Coil 26g kanthal

The vape is warm, not hot. No dry burns if wicked properly. It is so thick that it feels like milk when exhaling. Even a tiny bit of straight flavoring thins the VG enough to wick along with however long a pull I take. For me at least. Once you have the power and a good rda (like a plume veil or mutation) it's all about wicking and airflow. You can do it!

That video is private. I'd love to know more about those coils. I have plenty of 26ga. My favorite mech build for my MX was a parallel 26ga @ 0.16. I'm with the OP though, I can't find any coil builds yet that can handle more than about 80W on a regulated mod. I tried 9.5 wraps of 22ga and it just made the atty plasma hot after 2 or 3 pulls at 90 or 100W. It also heated slow and didn't chuck big enough clouds to be worth the battery drain. So far a spaced 24ga 4.5 wrap 1/8" dual coil setup @ 60W - 65W is my favorite. It almost lives up to the 26ga parallel on a mech...

The only other R+D I've done at high wattages (albeit unregulated) were on my 8V series mech box. I've forgotten the exact build but I think it was 26ga duals @ 0.44 ohms (160W). STUPID clouds. No spitting, instant heat and would completely dry out a saturated MXv2 in 2-3 pulls. No burnt cotton. Lmao I just plugged that build into steam engine and it says 787 mW/mm^2 heat flux! Holy crap. Haven't come close to replicating that vape on the IPV3 yet.

So far I'm digging spaced coils for super high wattage builds (unless it's on a 4V mech).

OP, I imagine you use a lot of cotton per wick. I basically use Yosh Vapergate's method (most of a cotton ball per rewick). It prevents the dry hit from sneaking up on you before you can let off the button.

You don't have to build high resistance to get good flavor and clouds on a regulated mod. Right now I'm vaping 0.2 ohms and 3.8V. It's great. Not gonna win any comps but it's satisfying. Higher resistance just makes the batteries work harder IMO.

johndoe1027

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2014
NC, USA
Not much to say. 8 wraps each coil on a 2.4 mm bit.

That's everything there is to say. :) Thanks. Gonna watch that vid now.

So it's at about 0.5 ohms?

Also, do you also worry about vapor residue on your gear? I mostly vape in an extra bedroom that houses my extra drum set and I'm wondering how long till I have to detail it.

Last edited:

johndoe1027

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2014
NC, USA
I think Sleepy Dog and myself agree.

Step 1 - 26ga coils at 0.45-0.5 ohms. (I do 1/8", Sleepy does a little smaller)
Step 2 - Wick it like Yosh does.
Step 3 - Crank that S*** up!
Step 4 - Get a big bottle of juice.
Step 5 - Sit down. (very underrated but important step)
Step 6 - Vape it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread