Mutimeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragginfly

ECF Veteran
Nov 3, 2010
Missouri, USA
Just found the Product Summary page. It does read resistance, but the low range is 200 ohms.

"Ohms in 5 ranges: 200/2K/20K/200K/2M Ohm +/- 2.5% of reading, 2% of full scale, +/- 3 of last digit"

Trying to read 2.0 to 3.5 ohms at the 200 range may be fine since it's digital.

Anyone knowledgeable on the RS meters is appreciated.

iJax

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2010
California
well you are looking for a mid deflection of 2-4 ohms. Think of it this way. You want a meter that will display within a tolerance that will not cause a problem. so 2000000000000000 ohm scales are useless to you. Dont pay for more then you need.

I'll look around and get back to you and edit this post.

still looking but it may do, I just wouldnt use it for precision work.

when looking for a 2-4ohm reading you want to bottom end of the scale at 0 while the high end of the scale twice what you are looking at so scale of 10 ohms +/-2%. If your display was 3.3ohms the actual value is 3.234 - 3.366 That way the tolerance doesnt cause a problem. A scale of 200ohms at the low end (3ohms) measuring could be off 20% so a 3.3ohm reading could actually be 2.64 - 3.96.

So all I can say is look for a meter with a scale range that puts what you are measuring in the middle.

Last edited:

_TJ_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2009
SE Ohio in the sticks
My cheap one($5) from ebay works at the 200 Ohm level, which is the lowest Ohm level on it. I think 200 refers to 199.9 on the digital readout, so I got the tenths covered. I test the leads before I try and get a Ohm reading to see what I gotta subtract. My LR306s are 1.5, good enough for me. :D

200Ω and 20DCV is all I use on it of the 20 positions.

Last edited:

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
I just bought one about a week ago. A Craftsman (Sears). It's autoranging (a plus) and seems to be doing just fine.

$20.69 tax included, out the door.

Last edited:

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
For the kinds of things we are doing with ecigs, you'll get what you need by picking the absolute cheapest one with a digital readout.
True. Unless you have other uses for it. So, I paid 4x as much and got a solidly built unit which is good for more than testing atomizers. :) It's a LONG way from high end ... $20 is an el-cheapo price for a decent multimeter.

I've found out through an unfortunate number of unsatisfactory purchases over the years, that although you don't always get what you pay for, you always pay for what you get. buy cheap crap and that's what you get. But, like you said ... yeah, get the $5 deal if all you're doing is testing atomizers. I'd worry about their accuracy and durability though. Just how important is that to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread