Noob wants Multimeter for Xmas - are these any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olinb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2011
Nashville, usa
Hi all:

I am wanting a multimeter for Xmas ;)

So, I looked at a couple I can "suggest" to the proper persons. Anyway, here are the two I looked at. Can you pros please tell me which of these is best, and whether they will handle the proper ohm testing? I want a good all around multimeter, but of course I need it to properly test my cartos, etc. too.

1st one is:
Craftsman Multimeter - Tools - Electricians Tools - Multi-Meters & Meters

2nd one is:
Craftsman Digital Multimeter with Manual Ranging & Non-Contact Voltage Detector - Tools - Electricians Tools - Multi-Meters & Meters

And, if there is a "cheaper" one on the following page that is just as good or better than the two listed above, I'd certainly be interested in it as well.

Multimeter from Sears.com

Thanks for any and all help!

Olin

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
This one is good:
Craftsman Multimeter
SearsItem# 03482139000 | Model# 82139

It is an auto-ranging meter, which means that you don't have to select the correct range value, the meter does it (as long as you set it to volts or ohms etc as appropriate).

This one is even better as it is a true RMS meter as well as auto-ranging:
Craftsman Professional True RMS Multimeter
SearsItem# 03482003000 | Model# 82003

This is useful if you are measuring the output voltage of an electronic APV such as many VV models that have modified DC output waveforms, since an ordinary meter does not give a true reading.

There is an argument that the best meter for a first time owner is a simple, cheap one - you might blow it by trying to measure a voltage but with the scale set to ohms; and also the sophisticated widgets are not useful. Anyway, at Xmas present time - get the best one I guess :)

If you do blow it, an $8 meter is easy to find...

Just make sure that if you put the leads on a battery or an APV output, it isn't set to Ohms. Meters are usually protected or fused now, but it's worth getting the dials right before touching anything. Also be careful not to short out the centre pole to the outer pole (pos to neg) when measuring voltage at the top end of an ecig. That can blow a fuse or even the electronics in some devices.

If you can get a croc clip test probe set for your meter, so much the better, a croc clip on the neg lead is often useful.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I have the Craftsman 82941:

Multimeter 82141 from Sears.com

BUT... I haven't used it since I got this: (There's a 510 and an 808 connection.)

dscn3063.jpg

You can get them many places but I got mine at madvapes:

Cartomizer and Atomizer Ohm Meter

... along with a 510 to eGo adapter that is on the 510 connection almost all the time for stardusts, CC cartos, tabacs BCC's, and eGo-c/t connections.

510 Battery to eGo Atomizer Adapter

... the absolute easiest way to check the ohms on attys and cartos, quickly! With the multimeter you really need some type of 'vice' to stablize.... but IF you also need to check voltage, then you'll need the multimeter. You won't be able to check 'underload voltage' which is likely the most important question unless you have a device to use with your multimeter in order to test that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread