Status
Not open for further replies.

kemuri

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2009
out of town
jqg5cj.jpg

I'm sure a good number of madvapes customers have the flashlight Hoog sent as a freebie. And the same customers probably have spare USB cables.

Cut the unneeded end of the USB cable, trim off the white and green inside wires, leaving only the black and red inner wires. The red goes to the center of the battery connector and the black wire I soldered to one leg of a normally off switch, and then wire from the other leg to the connector body. I used MV's pushbutton switch rated at 2 amps since I pretty much only use a penstyle or 401 atty with about 3.4 ohms resistance. If you're making a PT through for a Joye 510, I would recommend the hornstyle rated at 5A since the Joye is about 2.2 ohms and a 2A switch sounds a bit hairy in that case (I wouldn't use it in that configuration).

I used the lens from the flashlight. The bulb housing is unused. The lens part isn't shown in the "exploded" view. On the inside where you can't really see, I have the lens buttressed with JB Weld for strength.

The 5v power adapter is optional but I feel much safer connecting a USB PT NOT to a laptop or desktop as much as possible, considering my iffy soldering skills. The RTV blue silicone is handy thing to have around. I can replace the tiny silicone O ring which goes around the positive of the battery connector should the original silicone become damaged.

I'm waiting for the blue silicone to cure and then it's pacifier vape time. I've already tested fired a penstyle atty prior to taking the pix and all systems are go.

Last edited:

kemuri

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2009
out of town
Nice and easy. Sweet 5 volt. I`m with 42109 in wanting to know about that power pack. Got a link?
Thanks in advance. :)

Sorry, can't find the link now though going through my PayPal history, I see I paid to TAS Electronics LLC, but if you stick that name in the browser you get a car electronics store which is definitely not the website I ordered from. Believe the guy was in Texas. His simple website was weird in that you couldn't enter quantity, so if you wanted 5 then you'd either have to email him in advance or order 5 times @$4.00 ea which included shipping.

The back of the unit says "IQ USB POWER ADAPTOR (sic), Model PST-15U".
Hope that helps if you decide to do a search. Also recently--within the past month or so--on ecf I think, someone posted that this vendor was out of stock but he's setting up a revamped site and the price will be a bit higher. No idea on new price but even at $10 I think it would be a steal.

Bman, Hoog deserves any free advertising I think. :D He kept sending customers free flashlights and of course some made pv's out of it. But a 10440 batt simply wouldn't have lasted long enough for me so I decided to make a passthrough instead.

Attachments

• iq power adapter.jpg
    iq power adapter.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

kemuri

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2009
out of town
Just so you all know, two amp usb power adapters shipped from China for us today.. I sure hope they work good and that we see them in the next week or so :)

That should be a good seller for you when it comes in.

Wish you would stock at least one resistor or diode which would knock down pv voltage by a 0.5V or even 0.3V, then I'd be grinning like Cheshire.

kemuri

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 26, 2009
out of town
Made some changes in the OP after using the PT for a while.
It's possible that the copper strip which is used to contact the connector body and complete the circuit can remain in contact and not turn the unit off.

I changed the directions to using a normally off switch, either a push button switch rated @2A or better yet a horn style rated @5A.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Nice and easy. Sweet 5 volt. I`m with 42109 in wanting to know about that power pack. Got a link?
Thanks in advance. :)
For the Connman? Of course.

It's a nice supply I have 2. They are well built. Will push a Joye 510 to about 4.5V.

A/C USB Adapter

But FWIW why bother with USB if you build a PT. Just get one of these and power any atty @ 5V. You can use a DC connector or just hard wire it right to your PT. Ships from the USA.

5VDC Power Supply 2.5A AC Adapter for D-Link LinkSys 5V - eBay (item 390173005400 end time Apr-20-10 12:00:07 PDT)

Connman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
North Florida, USA
For the Connman? Of course.

It's a nice supply I have 2. They are well built. Will push a Joye 510 to about 4.5V.

A/C USB Adapter

But FWIW why bother with USB if you build a PT. Just get one of these and power any atty @ 5V. You can use a DC connector or just hard wire it right to your PT. Ships from the USA.

5VDC Power Supply 2.5A AC Adapter for D-Link LinkSys 5V - eBay (item 390173005400 end time Apr-20-10 12:00:07 PDT)

Thanks WillyB.
I just found out we already have that USB Adapter already. So now I`m set. :)

Makes me wonder what else we already have. :|

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
Thanks WillyB.
I just found out we already have that USB Adapter already. So now I`m set. :)

Makes me wonder what else we already have. :|
IF you are a Joye 510 user remember you'll need about 2000mA (2A).

Makes me wonder what else we already have
An old D-Link router power supply perhaps? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread