My batteries are out of control here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Houdini

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Las Vegas
So I just burnt out my 3rd atty today. I thought the first two were coincidence but when this last one went I decided to check voltage. I've had 4 silver and yellow Tenergy batts since I've had the Chuck. About a month. I've been using 2 of them since this morning when I took them off charge. They are measuring 4.6 and 4.62! Back in the Chuck and there's 9.28v at the connector!!!!!! What the Hell!?? I took the 2 other batts that were in the charger and done and measured them. The were both at 5.72v and together in the Chuck are measuring 11.52v!!!!!!!!!!! No wonder I'm buring through attys but what's happening to the batteries. I'm thinking the charger is screwed since it's measuring 5.5v and should be 3.5. I'm surprised these batteries havn't blown up or tripped the pc or something. Now I not only need new attys but a new charger too. :mad:

dahdahdan

Dec 30, 2009
GARDENA
So I just burnt out my 3rd atty today. I thought the first two were coincidence but when this last one went I decided to check voltage. I've had 4 silver and yellow Tenergy batts since I've had the Chuck. About a month. I've been using 2 of them since this morning when I took them off charge. They are measuring 4.6 and 4.62! Back in the Chuck and there's 9.28v at the connector!!!!!! What the Hell!?? I took the 2 other batts that were in the charger and done and measured them. The were both at 5.72v and together in the Chuck are measuring 11.52v!!!!!!!!!!! No wonder I'm buring through attys but what's happening to the batteries. I'm thinking the charger is screwed since it's measuring 5.5v and should be 3.5. I'm surprised these batteries havn't blown up or tripped the pc or something. Now I not only need new attys but a new charger too. :mad:
which tenergys are you using? the LiFe p04?

Houdini

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Las Vegas
which tenergys are you using? the LiFe p04?
Yes.
batty.jpg

ryanSTi

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2009
Harwinton, CT
I'm using this charger. It's been plugged into the wall since I got it. I unplugged it last night and it seems to have reset itself. I used a flashlight to drain the batteries and recharged them and they charged to a little over 4v.
charge.jpg

When you charged the batteries and they got charged to 5 volts, did the charger shut off at that point, or did you just take them off before it stopped? That sounds really dangerous either way. The fact that both the charger protection and the battery protection did not work is very strange. Also, when you took the batteries off, were they hot? Honestly, I wouldn't use those batteries at all. Not worth the risk of one blowing up in your face!

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
Please keep a close eye or two on those batteries now, Houdini. The wacky charger has indeed over-charged them even though they seem okay after your complete discharge via flashlight.

Be real careful, bud. And keep us in the loop.

Thankfully you're smart enough to employ a meter and to monitor both the batts and the charger. Conversely, this could have been an ugly/scary story.

I hope people are taking notice of this. Whether one vapes, uses flashlights or anything involving these batteries, a multi-meter is not a luxury -- it's a mandatory item, IMHO.

Houdini

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Las Vegas
The charger was acting normal when this was happening. Light went from red to green like normal but I didn't notice how long it took. No, the batteries wern't hot at all when I took them off charge. That would have been an instant red flag and I would have tested them before I even used them. I used to leave batteries on the charger until I needed them, even over night some times. I won't be doing that any more. I just took 2 off charge and they are at 4.56v each. I can't remember how far above 3v is normal but this seem high to me.
Since I'm into this hobby so deep I'm thinking of investing in a real charger. Something like this maybe.
Rechargeable Batteries & Battery Chargers - e-Station BC-6 AC/DC Balancing Charger for NiMH/NiCD/Li-PO/Li-Fe/SLA

This is the multimeter I'm using. $20 at Home Depot.
ohm.jpg

Debbie

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
South Jersey
I have the same batteries and charger and was using them when I was doing 6v. I was only afraid at the time of burning out my atty. So I switched to 3.7.

I didn't have any problems while I used them. But I'll have to keep this in mind if I use them again.

I never leave any charger plugged in overnight. If I'm not going to be home and nearby, I won't even leave it plugged in. I think most of this stuff is made in China, and I don't trust it. I also remove the batteries as soon as the charger gives a green light.

I had a wax scent heater plugged in while I went in for a bath, and it blew the circuit breaker. When I turned the circuit breaker back on (in the dark) the little wax scent heater wiring shot off sparks all over the room and the circuit breaker blew again. (At least it helped me easily locate the problem.)

There used to be tags that said 'UL approved' on wiring. You could trust it. Not any more.

Debbie

Amajn

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2009
New York
www.gloryvapes.com
The charger was acting normal when this was happening. Light went from red to green like normal but I didn't notice how long it took. No, the batteries wern't hot at all when I took them off charge. That would have been an instant red flag and I would have tested them before I even used them. I used to leave batteries on the charger until I needed them, even over night some times. I won't be doing that any more. I just took 2 off charge and they are at 4.56v each. I can't remember how far above 3v is normal but this seem high to me.
Since I'm into this hobby so deep I'm thinking of investing in a real charger. Something like this maybe.
Rechargeable Batteries & Battery Chargers - e-Station BC-6 AC/DC Balancing Charger for NiMH/NiCD/Li-PO/Li-Fe/SLA

That is one monster of a charger:) i will say i have a Trustfire tr-001 multi-charger with

2x18650 3.7 3000 mah ultrafire batts
2x18650 3.7 2400 mah tenergy batts
4xrcr123a 3volt 900 mah tenergy batts

I leave any one or combo of the different batts on the charger
sometimes over night cuz i forget or whatever and they all charge to the normal levels and i have found they cut off at normal levels and stop charging.............i do try to remember to take them off just in case

Plus ya never know but they should not be charging that high mine are 3.7 hits 4.2 and the 3.0 volt hits 3.2 then they stop

Maybe it is the charger?

Last edited:

Amajn

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2009
New York
www.gloryvapes.com
Plus the charger you are using is supposed to have these safety features,
Charger Features:
  • Smart, build-in microprocessor automatically switch off when batteries are fully charged.
  • Safe build-in IC provides various protection, Thermal protection, Overcharge protection, Short-circuit protection, mechanical. and electrical protection against reversal polarity, and auto defective battery identification.
  • Includes 100-240V AC adapter for worldwide use and a convenient, DC 12V car cigarette lighter plug for on the road charging.
  • Compact ( 2.5 x 4 x 1 inch ), Light weight (only 5 oz), include charger and all accessories.
  • Charge 1 to 2 RCR123A from 1.5 hours to 3 hours. Peak voltage of 3.0V Li-Ion will be 3.60V after fully charged.

ChuckDragon

ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2009
San Jose, CA

I've been experiencing the same problem with the same batteries. They came off the charger at 3.95v, way too much for the atomizers we are using :-x. I'm not sure whether it is the batteries or the charger. I guess it's time to pull in my electrical engineer father for help.

crashtestjeep

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2009
Wilmington, NC
www.myspace.com
it HAS to be the charger...keep in mind Lifepo4 batts arent PROTECTED, they are of a "safer chemistry", so NO PCB....They soley rely on the charger to cutoff when fully charged....Try charging them til the light is thats wierd greenish red color before turning green and ssee what the batt reads then...could be a case of a faulty circuit in the charger and or LED...well more like a combo of both...YIKES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread