My conversation with commissioner Bailey, Gennesee County Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linden

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2011
Michigan,USA
Many things going on here in Michigan right now. In my own county, we have a very anti BT commissioner who is proposing a public use ban. The following is my conversation with him. I will also be contacting my Governor and my local state reps as soon as time permits because they are proposing a state wide tax on e-cigs. ( my mom is being admitted to the hospital tonight due to cancer complications so it may be a few days until I get to it).

"Dear Commissioner Bailey,
As a citizen of Genesee County for 8 years, I would like to thank you for your service and all that you do for the public. I am a current resident of Swartz Creek.
Recently my mother moved into our home. She was a life long smoker and is in end-stage terminal cancer. She was finally able to quit through continued use of NRT (nicotine replacement therapy) 10 years ago. She still uses the gum until this day. She began smoking as a young teen. Unfortunately, I also began sneaking her tobacco cigarettes at a similar age and struggled to quit for 21 years. I tried every FDA approved nicotine cessation method, including hypnosis. At the age of 36, I was almost ready to quit quitting and resign myself to a fate similar to that of my mother. Cigarettes had a firm hold and there seemed no escape.
Until early March 2011 when I received my first 'e-cigarette' kit. (I prefer not to use the term e-cigarette as it is an unfortunate name and draws unwarranted parallels to two completely different products. For my purposes, I call them personal vaporizers (PV's). I ordered that kit fully expecting yet ANOTHER failed quit attempt. Within 1 week I realized that I had forgotten to finish that last pack of cigarettes! I threw them away. That was over 3 years ago.
As a mother of 3 young children, I owe my life to the invention of PV's. Which is why I was dismayed to read an article at WNEM.com regarding your efforts to enact legislation limiting use of PV's in public. What was even more disturbing was your reported views regarding PV's. In the article, I was dismayed to read this :

"According to the commissioner, there's no difference between a real cigarette or an electronic one.

"There's plenty of research that shows that the vapor has chemicals of all varieties in it that effect the human body and the research is continuing," says Bailey."

If you would please use due diligence and read this peer reviewed study which should alleviate your concerns: BMC Public Health | Full text | Peering through the mist: systematic review of what the chemistry of contaminants in electronic cigarettes tells us about health risks

As with most things we are exposed to throughout our day, we need to keep in mind not just the presence of chemicals, but the acceptable level of exposure. If you were to compare a PV with a burning cigarette, you would find that the PV is 99% safer. Not only that but the above study proves that any contaminates found emitted by PV vapor were far lower than acceptable INVOLUNTARY workplace exposer. To equate those contaminates as the same as a burning cigarette is not only devoid of reason but irresponsible to base legislation upon.
I would encourage banning sales to minors. But please don't punish adult former smokers for picking up a far safer alternative. Second hand vapor is not a health concern, reducing harm for smokers is. Don't discourage this new technology by banning it in any capacity.

Thank you for your time,
(Linden)
(xxx-xxx-xxxx)

For further information regarding current studies on 'e-cigarettes' there are many studies linked to on this page CASAA - The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association"

Ms. Lindsay, thanks for contacting me. Personal vaporizers are talk of the medical and political community at the present time. I have research from distinguished scientists that contradict your argument. It's going to be quite a debate. As a public official I have hit the tobacco companies at every opportunity. They have lost millions of smokers, especially young people who stop smoking ...or don't start. We may be on different sides on this issue, but I do appreciate hearing from you.

I will be forwarding your thoughtful and well-written message to my colleagues and the county Board of Health.

Archie Bailey

Commissioner Bailey,
Thank you so much for your rapid response! I was not expecting that! You are so very correct that vaporizers (thank you for using that term by the way!) are a hot button topic right now.
I know there is a lot of conflicting research out there. The quality and driving factors behind each study are very different. It is much more complicated than it appears. The Drexel study I presented you with was an independent study and not funded by any tobacco company. It is always difficult to filter out the motivations behind what people choose to present as the 'synopsis' for any study. I assure you that there are motivations on both sides of the aisle in the case of personal vaporizers.
You did mention that you have hit tobacco companies at every opportunity. That is a noble cause, but has nothing to do with the personal vaporizers that I (and millions of others) have used to quit smoking. The E-cigarette industry was founded by a pharmacist in China who's father died from smoking related illness. It was not until a little over 18 months ago that the Tobacco industry saw the writing on the wall and began to make their own electronic cigarettes. Please understand that they did this because they were losing money by the bucketful. Cigarette sales have declined dramatically over the past 2 years. Most experts agree this is because of electronic cigarettes.
Some inside information regarding the products that the tobacco companies offer: they are sub par and not effective. It is the independent businesses (I know a few successful ones within your district) that make the type of personal vaporizer that actually WORKS to eliminate smoking. They do not look anything like a cigarette and would not be mistaken for one. They are extremely effective, unlike the big-tobacco cig-alikes. In short, this is not a fight against big tobacco.
Thank you for your time.

(BLAH BLAH bLAH)
Linden

Don't worry about that. Most commissioners are all over the field on this one. The only action the BOC can take is to place the same regulations on VP's that we place on cigarettes. The rest of the laws are the responsibility of the State. I must tell you that state after state is moving to regulate VP's. So anything is possible. I will try to keep you advised.

archie bailey

Commissioner Bailey,
Yes, I follow these things closely. I will be writing to Governor Snyder soon, as I hear he is moving to place taxes on PV's. I just really don't understand why this life saving device is under attack. It worries me on a very gut level. I don't understand the resistance to this amazing technology. I just can't comprehend it. I know it works. I know how it works. I know what it is in it. I've been researching it for 3 years. I wanted to contact you first because you are the closest legislator trying to act against this. I just have a heartfelt prayer that you could understand that this isn't about big tobacco, but about my 3 kids, my mom and millions of other smokers out there that just need to be encouraged to try this reduced harm alternative.
Again, thank you so so SO much for your time. I can't express how much it means to me that you are replying and giving me your valuable time.
(blah blah blah)
(Linden)

Will keep responses updated.
cleardot.gif

Barbara21

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Greenville, SC, USA
Wow - your letter is very impressive. And I'm impressed that Commissioner Bailey responded. One thing he said seems worrisome...

"Don't worry about that. Most commissioners are all over the field on this one. The only action the BOC can take is to place the same regulations on VP's that we place on cigarettes."

Huh? Your whole point was that vaping is not the same as smoking!

Linden

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2011
Michigan,USA
In all, I only want to get a discussion going with him. He is very uneducated as to what PV's actually are. This is only my first step on a *very* local level. If I can change one heart to see that it isn't about 'big scary tobacco' then I have won a small battle. Tomorrow unfortunately I will be spending the day a the hospital and likely be hearing from the doctors that there is nothing they can do for my mom. It would be such a panacea to actually talk to Mr. Bailey on the phone during this time. I am going to continue to encourage him to call me. If you are so inclined, pray for my mom Carol and for her Doctors. And pray that this low level politician will understand that the PV issue is more than a quit or die issue.

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
In all, I only want to get a discussion going with him. He is very uneducated as to what PV's actually are. This is only my first step on a *very* local level. If I can change one heart to see that it isn't about 'big scary tobacco' then I have won a small battle. Tomorrow unfortunately I will be spending the day a the hospital and likely be hearing from the doctors that there is nothing they can do for my mom. It would be such a panacea to actually talk to Mr. Bailey on the phone during this time. I am going to continue to encourage him to call me. If you are so inclined, pray for my mom Carol and for her Doctors. And pray that this low level politician will understand that the PV issue is more than a quit or die issue.
Prayers are with you and your Mother. You are a very brave young lady.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
I'm adding "distingished scientists" to AA's Weaselspeak lexicon:

I suspect this refers to the most infamous "distinguished scientist" in the TCI. Pop quiz: who is a failed mechanical engineer who has "distinguished" himself by mounting the tobacco control golden goose and riding the wave of taxpayer-funded anti-tobacco industry for the past 36 years while producing mountains of junk science in support of the smokers' demonization movement?

WARNING! In September 2013, this "distinguished" opportunist has received another $20MM check from your tax money via the BP shills at FDA and NIH to spew out the next wave of propagandist excrement (prod-tobacco. ucsf .edu/users/sglantz ) probably all earmarked for anti-vaping activities.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
I don't know if this helps, but I'm reporting a lengthy audio interview in my media summary today with Dr. Matt Davis (if you're from MI, you know who he is!) out of NPR Lansing - (I just happened to be here to check for updates and saw Genessee co., and yes, I know about your situation there):

http://wkar.org/post/
e-cigarettes-present-new-options-problems-lawmakers-smokers

Bottom line - Dr. Davis says towards the end of the piece that his own paitents have quit via vaping. That doesn't change his mind, of course, but it might be interesting ammo to put the Gennessee co. cm'rs on the spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread