My experience in public

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virtues

Jun 11, 2010
USA
I have vaped in multiple establishments and no one has said a thing. Since no one has been saying anything, I have asked, and they already know and don't care. I'm assuming everyone in my state (Colorado, smoking is banned from all public buildings, you can't even smoke in a bar) that works in a place such as food serving, is already informed and understands exactly what it is.

I have had no one give me dirty looks and I don't expect to ever get any dirty looks and this is why:

Reason 1) These are allowed on Airplanes and in Hospitals so why wouldn't it be allowed anywhere else?

My mother was a smoker (Gitanes, 2 pack a day) and quit 25 years ago (cold turkey) and afterward, turned into one of the biggest anti-smokers I have ever seen. If she even smells someone smoking outside she will go out of her way to find them and yell at them. "Oh PEWY! Why do you have to do that while walking in front of me?! Why do you have to do that right outside the door!?"

Reason 2) This same woman lets me vape in her car with the windows rolled up. I have even used liquids that mimic tobacco flavor and it doesn't bother her ONE BIT. Even IF people smell it (highly unlikely as it dissipates so quickly) it's not an unpleasant smell.

For these reasons I do not expect anyone will ever complain about my vaping and if they do it will not be from the smell, but the fear of "second hand smoke." All I will have to say is "It is allowed in hospitals and airplanes(which circulate the air) so you have nothing to worry about."

Last edited:

Little Girl

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2010
New York
mostlylinux.wordpress.com
My mother was a smoker for 25 years and after quitting, turned into one of the biggest anti-smokers I have ever seen. If she even smells someone smoking outside she will go out of her way to find them and yell at them. "Oh PEWY! Why do you have to do that while walking in front of me?! Why do you have to do that right outside the door!?"

Reason 2) This same woman lets me vape in her car with the windows rolled up. I have even used liquids that mimic tobacco flavor and it doesn't bother her ONE BIT.

That is quite an endorsement right there! It doesn't get much better than the Mom test. :thumb:

I would like to caution you, though, that you could still encounter those who are either afraid or or against electronic cigarettes, and that it would be in the best interest of the e-cigarette community to make the encounter as positive as possible. The better we behave, and the more we're willing to take the other person's feelings into consideration, the more likely we are to be accepted and allowed to do what we do. :)

firefox335

ECF Veteran
May 31, 2010
Ohio
That is quite an endorsement right there! It doesn't get much better than the Mom test. :thumb:

I would like to caution you, though, that you could still encounter those who are either afraid or or against electronic cigarettes, and that it would be in the best interest of the e-cigarette community to make the encounter as positive as possible. The better we behave, and the more we're willing to take the other person's feelings into consideration, the more likely we are to be accepted and allowed to do what we do. :)

True. I have not used my Blu in public that much. I probably will not use it in a family resturaunt but I would use it in one that sold alcohol or a bar. I stopped at the liquor store and just had it in my hand (not vaping) and the owner asked me if it was an electonic cigarette and if it worked. I vaped and he thought it was the coolest thing. I guess the main thing to remember is you don't necessarily have to walk on eggshells, just don't be a .... about it.

By the way, my mom, a staunch anti-/ex-smoker who's been trying to get me to quit for years lets me vape in her house and has no problem with it. The more informed people are, the better and easier the vaping movement will become.

:thumbs:

Little Girl

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2010
New York
mostlylinux.wordpress.com
I love that you hold your e-cig in your hand so others will notice it and ask questions about it. That's a great way to spread the word! Mine probably wouldn't make much of an impression since it's a black 510 and looks kind of like a short pen to the untrained eye. Maybe it will be more of a conversation piece once I bling it a bit. :laugh:

I also agree that the more informed people are the more likely it is that we can continue vaping. Good job getting the word out, and I'll do my best to help! :toast:

Virtues

Jun 11, 2010
USA
My mother is also an astro-physicist, and has worked in clean-rooms to build satellite parts. She used to be a surgical technician before that so she completely understands contamination and how things spread through the air. She is an absolute clean freak.

People merely need to be educated about this new form of nicotine delivery. We have done extensive research. If animals can survive in a 50% PG environment with no build-up in the lungs well gosh, it seems like it is not only ridiculously safer than tobacco, but just about as safe as anything gets on this planet (hell even water can kill you if you drink too much, too fast).

I make sure not to produce possibly obnoxious amounts of vapor in public, or blow it in people's faces. But yeah, I'm not going to go out of my way to appease people's uneducated fears about vaporizing either.

(Here someone put together all of the studies on PG including the EPA and FDA www(dot)vapersclub(dot)com/pg.html)

Last edited:

jude8753

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2010
PA
We were at our local Harley shop looking for a case I could wear around my neck to hold my ST and I was measuring it against the pouches. This thing doesn't look like a cig and she was very curious about it and wanted to know how it worked so I demonstrated and she thought it was very cool and people were all around and no one said a word about the vapor. Of course I would never have vaped in there if she hadn't asked to see how it worked and that happens at many places when they see my ST.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread