The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

My experience so far....

Discussion in 'SG Vapers' started by sixfiend, Mar 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. sixfiend

sixfiend Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Christmas Island
    hey guys so if you have been on the forum the past week or 2, you'd know that i just started with all this vaping stuff. anyways so to start off, i bought a diy box mod (according to seller, 6V, 6A outputs) and a pre-owned Lavatube (or similar clone, this one doesn't have the "lavatube" printed on it. i'm not sure but it sure as hell works like one anyway so this doesn't bother me). Got myself a simple tank, some boge cartos (single coils) and a 3ml Clearomizer (if i'm not mistaken, you can see the pictures) and a whole buncha juices.

So I got the Lavatube first and set up the carto and tank and filled them up with some beginner (had to watch some youtube vids on how to do this LOL) 6mg, 70/30, cran/raspberry juice i bought from Thera. Screwed in the tank and started vaping at 3.7v. Wow... certainly a big difference from that el cheapo battery that my friend let me try. So i went on vaping for an hour or two. It was a pleasant experience, however after an hour of vaping, it suddenly hit me that this juice tasted like some cough medicine haha. I couldn't wait for it to finish, which i did by the way, by practicing some smoke or should i say vapor rings.construction of this mod is good and i have no qualms about it (especially given the price i paid, relative to where i am), it does not feel cheap or flimsy but is certainly lighter than the GG i felt but then again we can't compare those two mods can we?. because this is my first attempt at vaping and also i would like to think my first ever mod, i have nothing to compare this experience to, but i can say that it was a good experience and certainly an eye opener. i guess i could recommend the LT to beginners like myself, but do take note of the max output and limitations with LR dual coils. I have yet to experience the dual coil experience so i can't say that this limitation is bad thing either (my box mod should be able to handle those DCC so no worries here). but hey, if you're just looking to use single coils and is not bothered with dual coils and all, then this is a pretty decent mod. plus i got it pre-owned so, the price was certinaly justifiable.

now... i just got hold of the diy box mod that i ordered. construction on this was... okaye. when i say OK, i mean OK in a very DIY / homemade way (and given the time, hell i could have prolly done this myself. but i'm too lazy so i shan't complain further). it certainly doesn't scream solid or well built for that matter. but anyway i bought this for its ability to -hopefully- drive some LR dual coils (i say hopefully because i have yet to get any dual coil stuff). if you look at the pictures you'll see what i mean. do i feel that it was worth my money... not really. this one scores much less in the cosmetic and value department. anyway so i set up the tank/carto and started vaping. so far so good but because i'm only using a 2ohm boge carto, i only vaped at 3.75v. it seems to work just as well as the LT! oh for this mod i added on 2 pairs of 14500 Trustfire 900mah batteries, the charger and a 3ml clearomizer. overall i'd say this is a decent mod too. but i'm not sure how long it can last... the fire button is rather flimsy as well. i wish a better button was used. i'm not really looking for a beautiful product but it should at least be functional and durable. well... this is a first impression. i'll love to see how this mod holds up in the long run. oh and this mod doesn't have any safety features like 10 second cut off(the LT has this). to prevent your cartos from frying so you have to know what you're doing and don't accidently hold the fire button too long or your carto will fry.

overall both mods have their pros and cons, the LT is much better built but has output limitations. the diy box mod has diy standard build quality but should be able to drive most cartos, dual coils etc. the LT looks hell better, so if that is a factor for you then i guess this diy mod box is out. but if you're like me and looks don't matter then... i guess you have more options. i'm sorry if my review is not comprehensive because i'm just writing whatever comes to mind. but feel free to ask me any questions here.

PS: pics below. btw i focused more on the box mod to show what i mean. for lavatube, please check out youtube for tonnes of reviews.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Madshock

Madshock Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    Dagobah
    not a bad start i must say.

Carry on vaping and explore. May i suggest that you try normal 510 atties on your VV mods as well.
    Go old skool dripping and you will be surprised at how well it can perform on higher voltages. Atties are cheap anyways, pick 1 or 2 on your next juice purchase. Avoid the LR ones tho, IMHO i feel its overrated.

Soon, young grasshopper. you will be eyeing the big boys. :)

Once you get the hang of things, you will find 3.7v mod with the right atties will give you pleasure as well. I'm saying this from my own experience.

3. fishohunter

fishohunter Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 21, 2011
    One 'Fcuk' City
    Six, what tank is that ur using?

4. Vachelon

Vachelon Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Have you received the backwoods i sent you yet?

5. Currynoah

Currynoah Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 28, 2011
    SG
    That boxmod looks sweet!! Reminds me of Krimson Kustoms. Six: I've seen worse wiring workmanship than those you posted... So don't worry too much!! Just take care not to drop whatever mods you are using, and it will last like, a long time! :laugh:

6. sixfiend

Mar 19, 2012
    Christmas Island
    mad: thanks, i wanted to get the A2-TM i saw on the classifieds but i already spent too much.

fish: i have no idea what thank it is, but it is a pain to fill / refill. cause the o-rings make it super tight... like impossible to seal back. and when you open.... your arms fling everywhere hahaha. so if the tank isn't close to empty you could get a mess. i'm waiting on a better thank now.

vach: no i have not. i have no idea why its taking so long :(

curry: i hope so too, i've been treating it like its made of glass.

7. Domtine

Domtine Lim Peh Verified Member ECF Veteran

The box mod u have will vape like a monster on a DCC. Crank it up to 5V and vape plumes of vapo. Just make sure u don't choke on it.

8. dirtdevil

dirtdevil Noise Boy Verified Member ECF Veteran

Hey six ( Reminds me of a band) you might wna check that you didnt punch the carto too hard, deforming it. shyt get really tight if you do. Try taking a pair of pliers and evenly squeeze around the carto where you punched the holes at. You'll soon realize that it dont get stuck no more. But then another problem arises, if you pull on the tank ( Which I have done twice! :facepalm: ) Its slips off and you get a hand full of juice everywhere. Other than that, its a darling to refill. My current setup is a LT together with a DCT with Boge XL cartos. No problems so far. Would have to say that safty features are..... well, SAFE! :) lol I wouldnt wna be on something that doesnt offer some form of protection..

9. Vachelon

Vachelon Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

i think it should most probably reach you by today at least... should not take more than 3 working days for mail ... stupid singpost...

10. sixfiend

Mar 19, 2012
    Christmas Island
    dirt: thanks for the punching tip, its not so the punched part that is hard to close back, but the O-rings on this tank makes it crazy tight, plus being so small my fingers are killing me when i try to push it down. yea i know what you mean about the "slipping" off part. i've been careful not to yank of the tank so i don't cause a mess. LOL i can imagine the look on your face when it slipped.

while i understand the safety feature of having a 10second cut off so your carto doesn't fry (unless you pump up the voltage too high or something).............. but i can't get around the output limit of ~2.53 amps... so when you're using a 1.5ohm dual coil, it just doesn't have enough power to drive it. i don't think of the max output of ~2.53amps as a feature... because the provari's output goes up to something like 3.5A so you can use a wider variety of cartos? (correct me if i'm wrong, i don't own one).

11. dirtdevil

My face was like :shock: then :facepalm: lol..

Anyway, the O rings should loosen up, you could also try getting some O rings locally. The current ones might have dried out.
    Totally agree with the lack of amperage. Lets consider a dual coil at 2.5ohm. My guess is you'd need at least 5amps. High resistance 10? But realistically, would you be comfortable with vaping with 10amps? That'll kill you 10 times over. lol And, single coils vape over the top anyway. If a rebuildable, just go with thicker (lower resistance) wire and double the amount of coils to bring up the resistance, thus, having the same heating surface area of dual coils. Correct me if im wrong. Sounds about right in my head but something doesnt seem to be.. lol

12. Domtine

Domtine Lim Peh Verified Member ECF Veteran

Whatever your coil is drawing is dependent on the the voltage u're putting out and the limitations of the regulator/booster module.

http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/ohmslawcalculators.asp

when the PV specs says 10A it doesn't pump out 10A with every single fire. It means that it is capable of max current output of 10A.

13. dirtdevil

true that. but if your limitation is at 2.5amps, then running a HR single coil, much less a dual coil is going to be a pain in the ars..e

14. sixfiend

Mar 19, 2012
    Christmas Island
    if i'm not mistaken a LR dual coil 1.5ohms, has a resistance of 3 ohms per coil, so if you want to use 4.7v to achieve 7.36w, then you need an output of 1.57A per coil. so in a dual coil you need close to 3.14A output which the LT can't achieve. anyway i'm still a noob at all this so i just hope i got this concept right. i used Ohm's Law Calculator LOL

the thing holding me back from using a rebuildable at the moment is that i haven't got a multimeter but i will ask my poly friend to see if he can give me his fluke one :D i guess i'll do this once i start to get 'bored' (if ever...?)

15. Valsacar

Valsacar Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Seoul
    A multimeter is useful, but I build dual coil's in my Ody without one. You can estimate the ohms based off the length of the resistant wire. In the end it's all subjective to your taste anyway, so once you figure out what length works for you it can all be done by eye.

16. sixfiend

Mar 19, 2012
    Christmas Island
    oo okaye, so find a sweet spot and record the length of the wire and just keep using the same setup. ahh... sounds simple enough. :D now anyone has a unwanted rebuidables hahaha j/k. i'll wait till i $$$

17. MC28

MC28 Moved On ECF Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Singapore
    Sometimes it helps to have abit of juice on those rings..You know..Lubrication!!! :D

Here's my current setup..
    [​IMG]

18. sixfiend

Mar 19, 2012
    Christmas Island
    nice, is that the M1A1 tank. i tried to buy one from the classifieds section but the fella won't ship to Asia. :(

19. sixfiend

Mar 19, 2012
    Christmas Island
    BWB just came in the mail..... i can't wait to try them out later, i hope they live up to the hype, and to my taste. :D

20. Arrowhead

Arrowhead Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 1, 2012
    Utah
    Hey six I just ordered for the first time from bwb. I got malty toffee, root beer, orchard frost. You will have to post your thoughts. My very first order was from vapor bomb and I'm not all that impressed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.