Status
Not open for further replies.

highping

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Columbus, OH
Well here's my first mod made entirely of epoxy. The only thing that is not epoxy is the 510 tread connector, the spring under the batt, and one wire that runs up to the button.
There are no plastic or metal tubes in it. And, as with all my mods so far, no switch. It uses the same switching method that I did in my 510 juicebox.

It's about the smallest way I could come up with to make a BB mod. It uses a 16340 900mAh. I thought of this months ago and was just trying to figure out how to mod it with plastic. After playing with the epoxy on my juicebox, I figured I would just give it a shotfor this.

So far it hits like I expected it to. Pretty much the same as my little chuck. (It uses the same batt)

Here is a pic of it in hand to show the size.
EpoxyMod1.jpg

And another pic to show its size in comparison to the little chuck using the same batt. Disclaimer: Little Chuck made by Thagbuilt (THAG BUILT: A Wolf in Sheeps Clothing!) (<<<figured it was ok to use it as a reference in the pic if I mentioned the site ;))
EpoxyMod2.jpg

highping

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Columbus, OH
Very nice... and tiny! I would love to see a schematic of the 'insides.' I have a vision in my head and it would be nice to know if it matches reality.

;)

Wish granted...
EpoxyMod4.jpg

I bet it's not as grand as whatever you had in your head :p

Basically a 510 connector with a wire running over to that copper plate and another out the top that connects to the button. The button is just a button too, not a switch. It operates just like my JB mod... smash the button and the battery is pushed down to make contact with the little piece of copper in the bottom to complete the circuit.

MastiffMike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2009
Dogville Estate
Very nice HP! (yet again!)

Hate to bug you but could you post pics of the button and how it's connected to the wire? Is there a way to prevent the button push when in-pocket?

Oh and did you use pipe to form the epoxy around? If so, what'd you use to keep the epoxy from sticking to it? If not, how'd you do it? It doesn't look drilled out so I'm assuming you formed around something?

Thanks!

highping

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Columbus, OH
Very nice HP! (yet again!)

Hate to bug you but could you post pics of the button and how it's connected to the wire? Is there a way to prevent the button push when in-pocket?

Oh and did you use pipe to form the epoxy around? If so, what'd you use to keep the epoxy from sticking to it? If not, how'd you do it? It doesn't look drilled out so I'm assuming you formed around something?

Thanks!

Sorry, I didn't get a pic of the bottom before I entombed it (never to be seen again).
Did use a couple pieces of pipe to form it around. I'm not sure of the sizes. I went to a hobby store last week and was looking at all the different sizes trying to figure out what to get Yhen I saw a 'grab bag' of misc. pieces for 15 bucks. To me it's like a little treasure bag :p. There's about a hundred pieces of every size and shape you could think of! Brass, copper, aluminum, stainless. Square, round, solid. The longest pieces are only about 5-6 inches, but that's plenty long for what we are doing.

Anyway, I ran the wires to the connector, and then put the battery sized pipe next to the atty sized pipe and just started sculpting. This epoxy starts to harden in about 5 minutes, so it's like a beat the clock kind of thing. You can tell when you're about to run out of time because it gets really hot, just before it starts to get firm and unworkable.

As for it not sticking, I had all kinds of ideas before I started and then forgot to do any of them, so just before it got hard I realized it was stuck to the pipes...had to tear it all off real quick :rolleyes:

So then on round two, I coated the pipes with veg oil. That worked but it got pretty messy, and it was hard to get the epoxy to form tightly because when I pressed on one side the other slipped and got loose. I eventually worked it out though.

The next time I am going to coat the pipes in wax and then after the epoxy hardens I will just throw it in the oven at about 150 to melt the wax and the pipes should slide right out (in theory...we'll see though). It's all just trial and error.

highping

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Columbus, OH
One question, does your thumb get in the way when in use?

Just barely. On the next one I will bring the atty up just a touch.
My whole intent when I dreamed up this design was a "stealth BB vaper". It definitely fits the bill for that, but it is a little tight. My thumb is on my bottom lip while I hit it.

I really don't like the button, it was one of things that I just slapped together. I'm going to come up with something different on the next one ;)

MastiffMike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2009
Dogville Estate
HP, when I've done my epoxy molding I do it on wax paper. I've never let it totally harden on the wax paper as I usually flip it over or move it after it's firmed up enough to not change shape. I have pipes in the sizes of my batts and attys and considered just wrapping them with wax paper, mold around, and then pull out pipes/paper. I haven't tried it yet but I imagine it'll work.

You've gotta build me a button/switch though! I'm not sure how I want to handle that part yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread