Status
Not open for further replies.

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2015
DC Metro area
So when I first started vaping I tried a bunch of "tobacco" flavored juices, and frankly, they all sucked. Nothing like the flavor I got off a nice bowl of Latakia in my pipe. Wasn't happy and almost quite before I got started. Then a friend let me hit his vape with some fruity milky juice and it wasn't bad. Now a year later I'm not smoking pipes or cigars, but am vaping happily away. Recently noticed this part of the forum and spent the better part of the day perusing it learning all about NET's.

When I got home I opened my Humidor to see what I still had that might make a good NET. I still had a few baggies of pipe tobacco and one of them smelled SO DARN GOOD!! Almost grabbed my pipe... Almost...

I decided to try a simple PG based extraction. got a 1.5 cup mason jar and lid, filled it about 1/3 full of tobacco and poured PG in it until the tobacco was floating about 3/4 inch from the bottom. stirred it up good to ensure there were no tightly packed bits of leaf, and capped it and let it sit. after about 3 hours I realized that I have a slow cooker and that it might aid in the extraction with a little heat. It has been on for about 45 mins now and the temp is 135 so I know its not overheating the PG. So far I guess it has been soaking a total of 4 hours or so and I couldn't wait. got a dropper and pulled out a little bit of the PG. Nice dark honey color. Smelled just like the tobacco did in the bag. But after only 4 hours it couldn't really taste good could it? grabbed my Sigelei mini with a derringer on it and dripped the PG on the coils... Oh my GOD the flavor... so good. This is what I have been missing in vaping. Smoky, earthy, slightly leathery sweetness...

Why the heck have I never done this before?? Im gonna let it continue soaking for a week or 4, but man, I am REALLY happy I tried it.

Ok, now ya'all can tell me what Im doing wrong and how to improve this... :)

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2015
DC Metro area
well i just ordered another jug of PG, adn am going to do the cold extraction thing. I have a full ziplock bag of this one type of pipe tobacco, so I have plenty to play with. I opened the jar and smelled it last night before I went to bed and... well... it didnt smell as good as it did before I used heat. So Im thinking I killed it. PG should be here on monday so ill probably end up dumping it this weekend and resetting it on monday and just let it sit for a month or so in my closet. But I must say that first sampe I tried was freaking out of this world good.

usr/

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2013
N. Alabama
ok. I guess I will. whats the worst that could happen. i end up likeing and using it? Cant wait to get home tonight and checking on it. I want another hit of Pipe tobacco tasting vape!!

Hey EPN. I always give my nets a little taste test. A little dip on the end of your finger. After on the tongue you get a real perspective on how flavor has developed and some indication on how the extract may taste when you give it a vape. Give it a little breath in, of course don't swallow it, unless you may have been a hard core copenhagen user. lol! Anyway good luck with your extracts. Careful though, extracting tobacco can be addictive

Reactions: Stosh

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2015
DC Metro area
well last night I grabbed a few drops and put it in a dripper that was about due to be re-juiced and it was heavenly... once my quart of PG arrives on Monday I plan on starting a bunch of new extracts. Addictive? Bully you say!! :) Never thought I could get this flavor from a Vape.

Reactions: usr/

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
from my experiences, 140F is about the highest in temp one should push it... did a PGA at 155F and it resulted in a grassy, bitter tasting juice... only reason I went to 155 was I forgot to turn down the heat level from low to warm during the heating process.
The other jar went in at 140 and turned out wonderful. Since then, Ive kept things at 140 and have yet to be dissapointed... 140F works for me :)

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2015
DC Metro area
from my experiences, 140F is about the highest in temp one should push it... did a PGA at 155F and it resulted in a grassy, bitter tasting juice... only reason I went to 155 was I forgot to turn down the heat level from low to warm during the heating process.
The other jar went in at 140 and turned out wonderful. Since then, Ive kept things at 140 and have yet to be dissapointed... 140F works for me :)

well I just pulled a little more out of my jar... The goop in the jar smelled nasty. mixed 5 ml up with 10% flavor. tasted horribly musty, grassy, bitter and like a rotting log you would find in a forest. Thinking the heat killed it. Dumped the whole thing down the sink and have a new batch soaking in the closet now. Not gonna add heat. Just time. Hoping this works out a bit better. The wife walked into the kitchen as I was dumping it and asked me what died. I looked at her and said my hopes and dreams... I didn't realize it at the time but my crock pot has two settings, off and over 160. Hoping this next batch turns out better. I know at the 3 hour mark with no heat it was great. But the heat seems to have killed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread