The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

My first box mod :-D

Discussion in 'Modding Forum' started by Ryan Cummings, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Ryan Cummings

Ryan Cummings Senior Member ECF Veteran

So I built my first box mod. Most of my parts including the box, batteries (2 14500 3.7v 900mah), connector, and circuit board were purchased from madvapes and got to me within three days of placing the order :). The resistors, button, and capacitors were left over in my electronics junk drawer and the switching regulator was a free sample from TI. It can be found here. I just used it for a 5v mod because it was free. I plan to get more to use with a variable voltage design using multiple resistors and a multi-position switch in future designs.

Here are some pics I took at the bar tonight :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only issue I am having with this is I want it to last longer than 5 hours (that's with constant vaping). Is there any batteries I haven't come across yet that last longer and would fit in my mod? Or am I going to have to build a whole new one. My only conclusion so far is to build a whole new one.

Otherwise I love the way this thing vapes. It's even better than my passthru. All questions or comments are welcome. Thanks for viewing,
    Ryan

edit: I just looked inside my mod and noticed the positive going to the 510 connector came loose so it turns out my batteries weren't dead. Will update further when I re-solder and recharge.

2. Switched

Switched ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 18, 2010
    Dartmouth, NS Canada
    You should be getting more than 5 hrs out of them. The loose connection could have been a culprit dunno. I am easily getting a solid 7-8 hrs out of mine. I consider myself a heavy vaper 4-5ml a day.

3. Skyway

Skyway Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    NC - USA
    Are using that setup as a 5v I take it? If you were wanting to go with a 3.7v setup wiring the batteries in parallel you would get twice the life out of them. I can go a day and a half off of one 14500 900mAh 3.7v setup.

4. rannox

rannox Senior Member ECF Veteran

Nov 5, 2009
    Clovis, Ca
    I would check the resistance across solder points, and the voltage of the batteries after a full charge. That TI board should be giving you 80%+ efficiency. Unless its stuck to your lips, id think you should get more than 4 hours.

5. breaktru

breaktru Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Probably was the solder connection.

6. breaktru

breaktru Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

You should add a 200 ohm trimmer resister (potentiometer) with a 220 ohm resister in series to the control pin of the regulator for a 3.6v to 6.1v selection.
    I bought 5 pots for $1.00 at: Mini 200 ohm Trimmer Resistor (Pkg of 5)-The Electronic Goldmine

Looking at your photo again, looks like there is little room, although the pot is tiny.

7. CapeCAD

CapeCAD Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 2, 2010
    Massachusetts
    You should also check the contacts to the batteries to insure a good connection. If there is a high resistance, due to poor contact, the battery closest to the output will be drained quicker.

8. Ryan Cummings

Thanks all for your replies. I should have explained better the wire that was soldered to the positive on my 510 connector came undone. I re-soldered and now everything works. It has been ten hours now vaping normally at 5v and batteries are still working :) so far so good. I mean sooooo good lol.

9. Switched

Switched ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 18, 2010
    Dartmouth, NS Canada
    Cool, them poor solder joints will get ya every time.

10. Ryan Cummings

I decided to go with a more flexible wire so it could handle the springy action inside the connector when a carto gets screwed to it. Its holding up much better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.