My First Coil. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

hell_storm2004

ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2013
Richardson, Texas, USA
Hello Everyone,

All my coil building stuff arrived yesterday. And I already lost my wire. Can't find where I kept it! But I went out and got some. Some master of clouds stuff. Don't know how good they are.

Just wanted to know does this remotely look like a coil that is usable? Looks a little weird. Since I don't have anything to compare to, just thought I will ask.

20180521_180509_zpsb6kikg7i.jpg

I have a few questions about the number of turns as well. But I guess that can wait for later.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
The last turn looks a little smaller than the rest. Can you pop it back on the jig and make it even?

The key test of whether it's vapable is the test fire. When you test fire, it should light up starting around the middle and then spread to the ends. If it lights up somewhere else first, you have a problem (although it may be fixable.)

You do have an ohm meter or a regulated mod to test the resistance, don't you?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
The last turn looks a little smaller than the rest. Can you pop it back on the jig and make it even?

The key test of whether it's vapable is the test fire. When you test fire, it should light up starting around the middle and then spread to the ends. If it lights up somewhere else first, you have a problem (although it may be fixable.)

You do have an ohm meter or a regulated mod to test the resistance, don't you?
i agree, however my response would be to remove both the first and last wrap simply on the grounds that theres a lot of turns there. what ohm is it running at atm?

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
If it isnt firing from the middle out, a few strums on the coil with some tweezers (preferably ceramic, if metal make sure not to fire it while strumming) and the hotspots should get worked out. It is a contact coil, so I would expect hotspots. I would also agree with the above, taking out the first and last wraps wouldnt hurt anything as you do have what looks like 15 wraps on it, which could be a bit much depending on your style.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Gauge? Inside diameter? Material? Total length of wire?

Right off without knowing specifics it looks like some of my NI200 coils. It might be high Ω if it's something other than nickel.

If it's a micro diameter, I had better luck since giving that up and going with large diameter. I'll run out of lung capacity long before the center of my wick dries out. (Still good to try micros for yourself.)

It looks like you may have your end coils crossing over the inside diameter. That would make it hard to wick.
coil side view_2812.JPG

You can adjust the inside diameter and the roundness of the outside coils by putting it on an arbor/metal rod/nail to hold it and adjust it until it's installed.
1nail_2809.JPG

Your wire is under a pile of paper towels.

hell_storm2004

ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2013
Richardson, Texas, USA
See... That pic looks so much cooler! The kanthal one is the one I lost. This is 316L SS. 26 AWG. I used the 3mm jig i think. Or at least, the jig had the number 30 on it!
I will put it on something and give it a try. My RTA is "out for delivery" since afternoon! Waiting for USPS guy!

Mine looks like it's curled up in in the winter!

I would like to say, I would prefer to stay something around the 0.3 ohms mark.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
See... That pic looks so much cooler! The kanthal one is the one I lost. This is 316L SS. 26 AWG. I used the 3mm jig i think. Or at least, the jig had the number 30 on it!
I will put it on something and give it a try. My RTA is "out for delivery" since afternoon! Waiting for USPS guy!

Then a 15 wrap coil isn’t what you’re going to want. More like a third of that I suspect. 26ga isn’t super thick wire either. To get to 0.3 you may have to use two 0.6s

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I did some calculations on a site steamengine.com. I hope that is reliable. For dual coil I need 14 wraps. So is it like 7 wraps on each coil. Or 14 on each? And if it's really 14 wraps, wouldn't it get to wide to fit the tanks?? :)
That calculator is supposed to be good. I would try dual 7 wrap coils and see what that gets you

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada

I did some calculations on a site steamengine.com. I hope that is reliable. It said for dual coil I need 14 wraps. So is it like 7 wraps on each coil. Or 14 on each? And if it's really 14 wraps, wouldn't it get to wide to fit the tanks?? :)

Steam Engine is a great site, so you picked well, but I think there might have been a typo. I'm getting 8 wraps of SS316L with 3 mm ID for a 0.6 ohm coil (which would give you 0.3 ohms with a dual coil). The default ID, if you don't enter one yourself, is 1.3 mm, and that does come out to 14 wraps. Note that either way, the heat capacity is pretty high so it'll take a long time to heat up and cool down. If you're aiming for 0.3 ohms, you'd probably be better off with a higher gauge wire (for SS, at least).

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX

I use the same wire and a 7 wrap on 3mm is right around .53 ohms. That 15 wrap is going to be > 1 ohm. To get .3 on a single coil of SS you would be better using 24ga @ 6 wraps.

Last edited:

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Looks more than usable to me, pretty sure my first coil was much worst looking aswell :p

For number of turns, i'd say use steam engine ( google it if you don't know what it is) i use it all the time when i'm building makes it 100x easier when you're not sure or don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread