The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

My First Coil. :P

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by hell_storm2004, May 22, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. hell_storm2004

hell_storm2004 Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 17, 2013
    Richardson, Texas, USA
    Hello Everyone,

All my coil building stuff arrived yesterday. And I already lost my wire. Can't find where I kept it! But I went out and got some. Some master of clouds stuff. Don't know how good they are.

Just wanted to know does this remotely look like a coil that is usable? Looks a little weird. Since I don't have anything to compare to, just thought I will ask.

[​IMG]

I have a few questions about the number of turns as well. But I guess that can wait for later.

• Like Like x 7
  2. Zaryk

Zaryk Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    Looks like a usable coil to me. Good job on your first coil, I've seen much worse on a first attempt.

I have used master of clouds wire, and never had any issues with that brand personally.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Hawise

Hawise Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    The last turn looks a little smaller than the rest. Can you pop it back on the jig and make it even?

The key test of whether it's vapable is the test fire. When you test fire, it should light up starting around the middle and then spread to the ends. If it lights up somewhere else first, you have a problem (although it may be fixable.)

You do have an ohm meter or a regulated mod to test the resistance, don't you?

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 2
  4. Zutankhamun

Zutankhamun Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 22, 2015
    Rapture
    Good job :thumb:
    What gauge is that. Is it kanthal?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Zutankhamun

Zutankhamun Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 22, 2015
    Rapture
    Are you a high or low ohm vaper?

• Like Like x 2
  6. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    i agree, however my response would be to remove both the first and last wrap simply on the grounds that theres a lot of turns there. what ohm is it running at atm?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Zaryk

Zaryk Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    If it isnt firing from the middle out, a few strums on the coil with some tweezers (preferably ceramic, if metal make sure not to fire it while strumming) and the hotspots should get worked out. It is a contact coil, so I would expect hotspots. I would also agree with the above, taking out the first and last wraps wouldnt hurt anything as you do have what looks like 15 wraps on it, which could be a bit much depending on your style.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  8. Myk

Myk Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    Gauge? Inside diameter? Material? Total length of wire?

Right off without knowing specifics it looks like some of my NI200 coils. It might be high Ω if it's something other than nickel.

If it's a micro diameter, I had better luck since giving that up and going with large diameter. I'll run out of lung capacity long before the center of my wick dries out. (Still good to try micros for yourself.)

It looks like you may have your end coils crossing over the inside diameter. That would make it hard to wick.
    coil side view_2812.JPG

You can adjust the inside diameter and the roundness of the outside coils by putting it on an arbor/metal rod/nail to hold it and adjust it until it's installed.
    1nail_2809.JPG

Your wire is under a pile of paper towels.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Myk

Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    That's why I asked if it was NI200 or micro.

• Like Like x 2
  10. ScottP

ScottP Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Best I can count that is about a 15 wrap coil. Personally, I find that around 7 wraps is more optimal. Otherwise looks like a good first try. Slap it in something, check the resistance add some wick and give it a shot.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  11. hell_storm2004

Jun 17, 2013
    Richardson, Texas, USA
    See... That pic looks so much cooler! The kanthal one is the one I lost. This is 316L SS. 26 AWG. I used the 3mm jig i think. Or at least, the jig had the number 30 on it!
    I will put it on something and give it a try. My RTA is "out for delivery" since afternoon! Waiting for USPS guy!

Mine looks like it's curled up in in the winter!

I would like to say, I would prefer to stay something around the 0.3 ohms mark.

• Like Like x 3
  12. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Then a 15 wrap coil isn’t what you’re going to want. More like a third of that I suspect. 26ga isn’t super thick wire either. To get to 0.3 you may have to use two 0.6s

• Like Like x 2
  13. hell_storm2004

Jun 17, 2013
    Richardson, Texas, USA
    I did some calculations on a site steamengine.com. I hope that is reliable. It said for dual coil I need 14 wraps. So is it like 7 wraps on each coil. Or 14 on each? And if it's really 14 wraps, wouldn't it get to wide to fit the tanks?? :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    That calculator is supposed to be good. I would try dual 7 wrap coils and see what that gets you

• Like Like x 2
  15. hell_storm2004

Jun 17, 2013
    Richardson, Texas, USA
    Ah... I see. Thanks! I will give it a try tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Myk

Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    The above dual coil of mine is 316L SS, the dual comes in at .31Ω. The nail they're on is about 4.2mm (wrapped on the 3.5mm arbor and pushed on the nail).

If you're going to temperature control you'll probably want them spaced some.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Hawise

Hawise Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada

Steam Engine is a great site, so you picked well, but I think there might have been a typo. I'm getting 8 wraps of SS316L with 3 mm ID for a 0.6 ohm coil (which would give you 0.3 ohms with a dual coil). The default ID, if you don't enter one yourself, is 1.3 mm, and that does come out to 14 wraps. Note that either way, the heat capacity is pretty high so it'll take a long time to heat up and cool down. If you're aiming for 0.3 ohms, you'd probably be better off with a higher gauge wire (for SS, at least).

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. ScottP

ScottP Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I use the same wire and a 7 wrap on 3mm is right around .53 ohms. That 15 wrap is going to be > 1 ohm. To get .3 on a single coil of SS you would be better using 24ga @ 6 wraps.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  19. QcVaper

QcVaper Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 17, 2017
    Canada/Quebec
    Looks more than usable to me, pretty sure my first coil was much worst looking aswell :p

For number of turns, i'd say use steam engine ( google it if you don't know what it is) i use it all the time when i'm building makes it 100x easier when you're not sure or don't know.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Anise

Anise Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 11, 2016
    Southern Louisiana USA
    Heck looks good to me but I only helped make coils with someone Still waiting on a couple orders and using precoiled wire.

Congratulations on your first coil! Happy Vaping on coils you made yourself!!

• Like Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.