My first exp with snus

Status
Not open for further replies.

WerkIt

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2009
I ordered a bunch of it and am freezing it cuse it looks like Govt is going to shut down internet purchasing of tob prod here in US.

What the bill will do, is require sellers to collect and remit the appropriate tobacco taxes on purchases to the states. However, I to am concerned it might lead to a total shutdown, for instance, if Northerner or Buysnus decided it would cost too much money to collect and remit taxes to the states. That's one reason I am growing my own.

Brewster 59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2009
North Bay San Francisco
Hi Brewster
S.1147 was brought up in the Committee of the Judiciary last Thursday, appears there was no vote at that time. It's said bills often die in committee so perhaps there's hope!

If nothing else we do have time to do as you indicate, buy and freeze! What brands have you found so far that you're enjoying?

I sure hope there is hope cuz if I had to choose between ecig and snus I would rather have snus by far. As 4 flavors being a complete noob at this stuff I had np idea what a white portion was or what general or any of that stuff. Dredbull posted a list of flavors to try and I ordered a bunch of his suggestions they haven't come in yet. So right now I have white portion licorice and General tob flav love both of them actually other than Camel mellow I like every flav Ive tryed. I sure wish there was a way to tell if these bills are going to pass or not as I would much rather use fresh stuff than have to freeze it.

ImYourSalt

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2009
San Diego, CA
liberty-flights.com
try lucky strike snus. camel and philip morris also make a swedish snus that are very tasty. check out buysnus.com or the northerner. (dot net/dot com???)

i snused for my first couple months with my ecig. now with my 510 and my kr808, i'm tobacco freee!

Nasal snuff might help you as well. Toque sells trial size bullets.

might seem strange, but its better than smoking a cigarette!

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
I sure hope there is hope cuz if I had to choose between ecig and snus I would rather have snus by far. As 4 flavors being a complete noob at this stuff I had np idea what a white portion was or what general or any of that stuff. Dredbull posted a list of flavors to try and I ordered a bunch of his suggestions they haven't come in yet. So right now I have white portion licorice and General tob flav love both of them actually other than Camel mellow I like every flav Ive tryed. I sure wish there was a way to tell if these bills are going to pass or not as I would much rather use fresh stuff than have to freeze it.

Based on what others have said I'm going to figure I've got a little time to play with still. A little more time to try a few additional brands to better get an idea of what I might like to have in stock. It's hard to imagine doin' away with the vape entirely but agreed, snus certainly holds it's own for nic satisfaction.

I'm given to understand that if the snus can's are well sealed, air-sealed, that they keep for some time frozen. Anyone have any insights on long term storage?

Going to do a multi can order of my stand by staples. Odens, onyx and skruf.

Considering picking up a few cans of loose for home time.

Picking up loose from northerner montecristo, and a couple others that get snus does not have.

Oden's kanel and extra sterk, claq qui, and skruf cranberry as my staples. along with a few other loose. Just cannot beat the prices with get snus and willhave to beg them NOT to ups it.

Last edited:
Like snus I like a choice.

My discreet and grov has not really been touched. Claq and odens and onyx got destroyed.

Found morning and after meals the claq was NICE, odens for the more rougher rides I needed and onyx was a pop in and forget about it. Also the skruf cranberry has grown on me.

I am just stocking up a bit to tail me through dec. If that bill passes and before it takes effect I will load myself down.

Caesarea

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2009
UK
Managed to tame the Mocca macchiato by wrapping it in an empty (new) teabag. this toned down the juice rush nicely, with a bit of mouth breathing too. Still needed to drink coffee with it though to avoid the beginnings of heartburn and there was a few minutes of syrup of figs taste to endure. But it has now settled to a pleasant coffee flavour and I will be able to enjoy my 2 tins of it!
So if a snus is a bit heavy, there is some point in wrapping it in an empty teabag!
:)
Best,

C.

isande

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2009
Based on what others have said I'm going to figure I've got a little time to play with still. A little more time to try a few additional brands to better get an idea of what I might like to have in stock. It's hard to imagine doin' away with the vape entirely but agreed, snus certainly holds it's own for nic satisfaction.

I'm given to understand that if the snus can's are well sealed, air-sealed, that they keep for some time frozen. Anyone have any insights on long term storage?

I had no intention of stopping vaping really, but I haven't picked up a PV in quite some time now (a few weeks I think) because it seems like way too much hassle to deal with. Easier to just pop in a stark or extra stark portion and go on about my business.

Curiously, it didn't seem like a hassle at all before the snus. I *am* overworked lately, however.

As for storage - I keep anything I'll use before the expiration date in the fridge inside of empty, cleaned out Pringles cans (to organize it by type). If I don't expect to use it before it expires, I seal it up in freezer bags (pressing out any excess air) and freeze it. I've heard from some that frozen snus is still just as good as it was originally for at least 18 months after expiration.

I've also heard that you should thaw frozen snus in the fridge to prevent uneven moisture or something along those lines.

I keep four or five tins on my desk at any given time. Once they come out, they don't go back to the fridge unless I dislike a particular variety and set it aside to try again later. In general, if I'm sure it'll be gone within a week, it goes to my desk.

--K

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
Managed to tame the Mocca macchiato by wrapping it in an empty (new) teabag. this toned down the juice rush nicely, with a bit of mouth breathing too. Still needed to drink coffee with it though to avoid the beginnings of heartburn and there was a few minutes of syrup of figs taste to endure. But it has now settled to a pleasant coffee flavour and I will be able to enjoy my 2 tins of it!
So if a snus is a bit heavy, there is some point in wrapping it in an empty teabag!
Best,

C.

Interesting idea there Caesarea. I found out rather quickly that the ekstra sterks were simply to much for me. Some of the sterk snus I have may well benefit from that extra layer of teabag. I'll have to try it.

Of course if it proves to much of a hassle for you to wrap those Macchiato portions I'm sure I could find a good home for them! :)

I had no intention of stopping vaping really, but I haven't picked up a PV in quite some time now (a few weeks I think) because it seems like way too much hassle to deal with. Easier to just pop in a stark or extra stark portion and go on about my business.

Curiously, it didn't seem like a hassle at all before the snus. I *am* overworked lately, however.

As for storage - I keep anything I'll use before the expiration date in the fridge inside of empty, cleaned out Pringles cans (to organize it by type). If I don't expect to use it before it expires, I seal it up in freezer bags (pressing out any excess air) and freeze it. I've heard from some that frozen snus is still just as good as it was originally for at least 18 months after expiration.

I've also heard that you should thaw frozen snus in the fridge to prevent uneven moisture or something along those lines.

I keep four or five tins on my desk at any given time. Once they come out, they don't go back to the fridge unless I dislike a particular variety and set it aside to try again later. In general, if I'm sure it'll be gone within a week, it goes to my desk.

--K

I can easily see how the PV's could end up being set aside isande. I actually LEAVE THE HOUSE W/O MY 510 8-o! Truly amazing, but of course as a fellow 48mg user you understand that! There are moments, especially when driving, that my body misses the hand to mouth motions, but it's really only a curiosity. Prior to snus there is no way I'd even consider taking the garbage out to the curb with out a PV in my pocket!

Thanks for the verification on the storage isande. I thought that was the way to go. My wife is so understanding. First I take up part of the fridge for e-liquid storage, now that area has grown with the snus can storage. I hope I don't push her to far when I start stocking the freezer with rolls!

Caesarea

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2009
UK
Interesting idea there Caesarea. I found out rather quickly that the ekstra sterks were simply to much for me. Some of the sterk snus I have may well benefit from that extra layer of teabag. I'll have to try it.

Of course if it proves to much of a hassle for you to wrap those Macchiato portions I'm sure I could find a good home for them! :)

No way!! It was real good!! What hassle? ;)

And I feel amazingly better for having a non PV solution now and then - was getting sick of glycerine. Gonna go through those 2 tins before Christmas, I bet. I like Isande's idea on the Pringle containers. Clever! :)

Thing is do you suppose one's consumption increases week by week? I would rather it didn't, but have to be realistic! think I read 6 mini portions per day was an average Swedish woman's rate of consumption. So will still use the PV to avoid over snussing.

I think Kinabaloo and Dvap have definitely the right idea about the inadequacy of nic on its own for some of us anyway. I feel far happier on a mix of snus and vapour.

C.

PS - yep, took out the garbage today with PV in paw.

Last edited:

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
And I feel amazingly better for having a non PV solution now and then - was getting sick of glycerine. Gonna go through those 2 tins before Christmas, I bet. I like Isande's idea on the Pringle containers. Clever! :)

Thing is do you suppose one's consumption increases week by week? I would rather it didn't, but have to be realistic! think I read 6 mini portions per day was an average Swedish woman's rate of consumption. So will still use the PV to avoid over snussing.

I think Kinabaloo and Dvap have definitely the right idea about the inadequacy of nic on its own for some of us anyway. I feel far happier on a mix of snus and vapour.

The 2 do go together well. I'm thinking the snus is somewhat self regulating, or the body does it whatever. It really takes an effort, for me at least, to get too much nic from vaping. With the snus however my body let's me know quite readily when to stop.

From what isande has posted I get the impression 6 mini portions might take care of her for what, 30 minutes? :)

Caesarea

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2009
UK
The 2 do go together well. I'm thinking the snus is somewhat self regulating, or the body does it whatever. It really takes an effort, for me at least, to get too much nic from vaping. With the snus however my body let's me know quite readily when to stop.

From what isande has posted I get the impression 6 mini portions might take care of her for what, 30 minutes? :)

Isande, if it is doing ya good, so what! Better than the vile cigarettes.

Well I'm gonna enjoy myself mixing the snus and the vapour while we can. At least the snus doesn't cause sniffy nose like the PG/VG does. My mini mints have left Sweden on their journey and I look forward to them arriving in the next fortnight or so! Then I shall have a mintfest! :)

Best,

C.

Mordred

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
I hit the snus wall today, I could not break away to vape and had one loaded almost all day.. I cannot look at the cans without getting a bit quezzy.

Yeah, had that yesterday evening. When I got home, my new order had arrived with MANY different kinds of snus to try out. Needless to say I kinda overdid it. Didn't feel ill or anything, but I was buzzing. ;)

While I'm at it, I tried the swedish Camel (nice), Roda Lacket (very nice), Lucky Strike (average), General Onyx (odd) and Goeteborg Rape (seems nice, but had to take it out since I was on nic overkill).

Got my first one in for the morning, the Thunder Frosted Mini and damn, it hits like a truck for a mini. Taste is ok too. Next up, for after lunch probably, Tre Ankare.

Mordred

ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2009
Well when I said snus doesn't cause sniffy nose, that was before I tried General Wintergreen. Never again. Even 24 hrs later my nose and throat are suffering. Lucky it was just a 2 portion sampler!
Well you live and learn...

C.

Hehe, I've got a can of Thunder Wintergreen with my order too, opened it, smelled it, put it away. I'm not sure I'll be able to bring myself to even try it. Smells like they sprayed cheapo air-freshener on those portions... I suppose Wintergreen is an acquired taste, not sure I want to acquire it though ;)

Caesarea

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2009
UK
Hehe, I've got a can of Thunder Wintergreen with my order too, opened it, smelled it, put it away. I'm not sure I'll be able to bring myself to even try it. Smells like they sprayed cheapo air-freshener on those portions... I suppose Wintergreen is an acquired taste, not sure I want to acquire it though ;)

Well Mordred, treat it with caution and don't hesitate to spit it out as soon as you know it is too medicated! I knew I hated menthol so I should never have tried to keep a Wintergreen portion in for an hour. Never felt the nic effect for a second cos my nose and throat were just in total rebellion!
Brits of a certain age will remember the smell of Izal medicated toilet roll - that's GW 8-o

Pomegranate today - granatapple - much milder after the first saliva rush but not 100% pleasant.
Still prefer the mint and the coffee.

Happy snusing!

C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread